Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange wifi fault

Options
  • 23-05-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭

I can get google news page with my wifi using either the smartphone or the PC but ordinary sites are unbeatable.

Maybe I can get some.

Might this be a slow connection?

Later time I turned off at the wifi and it came back for a while but now it has gone again the same way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

And now ,two/three hours later I came back HOME to find it working normally.

I might have rung my ISP to ask if there was any fault but don't know if I will bother now.

i did switch everything off before I left the house ,so maybe that helped.

Would a slow connection have done that?

All I was getting was the Google News site and some of the sites I clicked on that were listed in the stories on the Google News site (papers or the BBC or RTE)

But some (most ) of them did not work either and I think I might have been getting some cache attached to Google News

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

You might want to rephrase your question, I have no idea what you are asking for?

My internet connection was only allowing me to access a few sites .The majority of the sites were not loading.

Normally if there is any problem with the internet all sites go down.

On this occasion Google News was working (including when I refreshed the page but that was it.

This problem has no disappeared but I am very sure that that is what happened .

I am guessing it may have been a very slow connection to cause this.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

A slow connection wouldn't case sites to be blocked, they would just be slow to load. I think everything is fixed now though ? :)

Spocker wrote: »
    A slow connection wouldn't case sites to be blocked, they would just be slow to load. I think everything is fixed now though ? :)

Yeah,fixed.

But would slow loading effectively block slower loading sites (via timeout) while allowing faster loading sites to load?

Never thought Google News was a fast loading site but it was the only one that worked.

Could there have been a different explanation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Go to fast.com when it happens again and record your download speed.
    Compare it with what you are getting now without issues and if it is significantly lower, then can put the issue down to speed. If not, you can rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

A number of ISPs are the victims of foreign denial of service attacks today and several days last week.

Chances are this is what you were experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Could be your dns... if the sites cannot be resolved by dns they will not load. A dos or ddos as suggested earlier might do this... if it happens again change your dns on the router (modem)

Yes it was dos.Got the text this morning from my ISP

Advertisement