Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline: Thank you for your patients. Mod Warning: OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

:confused::confused:"I won't say where, or when, or what happened as it would give it away"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

As a younger man I remember running around a field in Cork with a 12 kilo General Purpose Machine Gun, and another 5 kilos of ammunition. Thats about 17 kilos. Plus additional equipment.

TYFYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

whole lotta Rosie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

14.59 and Katie let's somebody else start. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

F'ed and C'ed?
    Very large lady?
    Rosie what are you on about - double distanced?
    Children whizzing on scooters
    Do and don't feel elderly
    Crossing the road the cars are angry
    Katie inturping her saying people are rude hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

3pm, off you go.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

after the news, katherine thomas regales been abused in a Bangkok Supermarket by a Ladyboy

People have got so rude says poor Rosie.

Then Katie cuts her off rudely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Rosie is on silent but still trying to get in

Working with the public is generally the worst. But also can be extremely interesting at times.

• Advertisement

Off licenses must have made the most profits ever last year

Katie sounds cast down and she is only three days in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭shearforce

today's show was a ball of sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

whole lotta Rosie
    That's my afternoon listening sorted bro :)

Oh ray gone off for the summer god love him doesnt he need the rest.

And kathryn standing in. What a dose she is

I find everywhere very busy these days. Roads, shops, car parks etc. Except down on the Hook in south Wexford last week, it was absolute peaceful bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Off licenses must have made the most profits ever last year

Yes I thought a South African style shut down of them all was coming and I stockpiled like a madman accordingly.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Was a hard life on the Cark buses?

Dats right by!

Working with the public is generally the worst. But also can be extremely interesting at times.

Try being a sausage maker. Thats the wurst!

Badum-tish!

But yeah, my first real job was on the deli counter in Dunnes Stores aged 16. Long before covid was even imagined, large swathes of the general public were cúnts then as well. However, my next job was in a call centre. The clientele of Dunnes Stores were all angels compared to some of the individuals I encountered over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

I really do tire of the "He's 60/70/80 and can't use technology". My mother is paralyzed down one side and loves her Lenovo tablet and does Whatsapp video calls with us regularly. My 84 year old Faaaader, is sat at his computer typing up a proposal for potential business deal.

I agree about the ageist assumptions.
    I'm sure I'll be getting that crap if I ever reach those ages and that'll really turn me into a grumpy old bastid.
    My almost 70 year old brother is a mad PC gamer - don't approach him saying console gaming is better if you value your life! :)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

archfi wrote: »
    I agree about the ageist assumptions.
    I'm sure I'll be getting that crap if I ever reach those ages and that'll really turn me into a grumpy old bastid.
    My almost 70 year old brother is a mad PC gamer - don't approach him saying console gaming is better if you value your life! :)

I bought my first home computer in the 90s, a Dell operating on MS DOS launching Windows 3.1 as an option in the autoexec.bat. My mother, well in her 70s, accompanied me to Compustore as she was interested in learning a little bit about the future which was fast upon us then. Only having learned the basics myself I introduced her to all this stuff. At same time I also introduced a friend to all who went in to make a career in IT and he bought a less expensive set-up. Mum was saying "what, you only have 4 megabytes RAM, what were you thinking, that's false economy, our Catmaniac has 8 megabytes". We are talking 90s for all ye younger folk in terms of data processing.

When I got it all home and upstairs into a spare room she was watching like a hawk. "That goes there... and that slots into that... let's take a look inside that CPU as you call it... oh the hand scanner... well take a look at those fittings (pre USB), where's the screwdriver.. you are going to have to remove one of those and slot into place the (port) fitting that came with the scanner.... here let me do that please, you know I'm good at this. I'll leave you to the dossing stuff".

A couple of tweaks on the DOS and a few reboots later we were launching the primitive hand scanner which was able to scan photos of her ancestors from crumbling photos. When you are so motivated by what exactly can be done with the tech, you learn it much faster because you want to, and age isn't a barrier.

For Christmas, birthdays, etc, Mum used to pop into town to Compustore and buy all sorts of little peripherals and software which came on floppy disks, because she was fascinated to see it all unfolding. We were on cusp of home internet.

Her wonderful sister, who lived what the family fondly described as a very self-sufficient, almost "hippy lifestyle" in the Dublin mountains, so she was always into upcycling. In her 80s she went to the library and self-taught on computer packages on the public access terminals, obtaining her little certificates. Then she set up her own home computer system having retrieved separate components from recycling, refusing all but the most elementary help from her children (they carried the stuff as she had a heart condition) as she said it was "good for my brain". She set up gaming for her husband (now near 100 who still plays his computer games in spite of Alzheimer's) to get him into it, and connected with the internet. Proud so punch she was, in her extremely humble way.

Age itself is no barrier as long as there is motivation and the realisation about how it can help you.

Another thing re age, working in the public libraries, part of our remit in the earlier days was to train members of the public on computer literacy. In my experience age had absolutely nothing to do with a person's ability to learn, it was motivation/resistance. Some younger people just wanted to get on with learning how to book flights before they even had an email address set up, they wanted to run before they learned to walk. Elderly people took it one step at a time, and often learned faster (and more completely) about how to go that further step. Often the younger folk would be in a panic when there was a glitch, the older person would be more sanguine and look back at the steps and learn more completely. They often became self-sufficient more quickly. All to do with motivation inherent at different stages of life rather than age as defined by years.

Age itself is no barrier as long as there is motivation and the realisation about how it can help you.
    I think ongoing capacity for learning has a lot more to do with how actively a person engages their brain, and has little to do with age. Studies have shown it's a myth that capacity for learning a new language diminishes with age, for example; instead, the correlation is with mind stimulation. A child is constantly being bombarded with new information, so it's no wonder they have such active minds. As adults, it's up to us to keep bombarding ourselves with information, or challenging our brains in the same way.

It sounds like your mum had a busy mind, so it's no surprise she cottoned-on pretty quick. My dad used to take apart and reassemble his ipod, back in the day, purely for something to do. He probably knew about more about tech, aged 79, than I do today.

This is a bit of a tangent, but it's a bugbear of mine: health professionals don't place enough emphasis on maintaining an active mind. God knows, with the monotonous routine of modern life, it's all too easy to switch off your mind, whether binging on netflix, or having a machine think for you: (google maps, google calculator, google everything). I think that's gonna cause issues in the future.

The brain is not a muscle, but the same rule applies: use it, or lose it.

I think ongoing capacity for learning has a lot more to do with how actively a person engages their brain, and has little to do with age. Studies have shown it's a myth that capacity for learning a new language diminishes with age, for example; instead, the correlation is with mind stimulation. A child is constantly being bombarded with new information, so it's no wonder they have such active minds. As adults, it's up to us to keep bombarding ourselves with information, or challenging our brains in the same way.

It sounds like your mum had a busy mind, so it's no surprise she cottoned-on pretty quick. My dad used to take apart and reassemble his ipod, back in the day, purely for something to do. He probably knew about more about tech, aged 79, than I do today.

This is a bit of a tangent, but it's a bugbear of mine: health professionals don't place enough emphasis on maintaining an active mind. God knows, with the monotonous routine of modern life, it's all too easy to switch off your mind, whether binging on netflix, or having a machine think for you: (google maps, google calculator, google everything). I think that's gonna cause issues in the future.

The brain is not a muscle, but the same rule applies: use it, or lose it.

It's finding the motivation to use it that matters. In my mother/aunt's era things were changing so rapidly you just had to learn to hope to keep up. When you feel you have already been left waaaay behind often motivation is lost.

Having said all I have, there are people with health issues which prevent them learning/using technology. Eyesight is one biggie, hearing another, episodes of confusion during infection, neuro disorders like Alzheimers, inability to reach and manipulate the technology, keep it charged etc on account of physical limitations. Personal assistance and other technologies are key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

my daughter got the head taken off her because would not sell 2x litre bottles of smirnoff to a "lady" at 10.20am on a Monday morning

It's an incredibly stupid law but FF/FG love nanny state stuff and will never want to be seen to 'encourage' drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

BPKS wrote: »
    They should have extended everybodys SafePass by 2 years FFS - its a box ticking exercise
    is it possible to fail it?

I did it in 2002. There was this lad in his 50s at the time on the course ant it was obvious from the word go he'd never worked on a building site and wouldn't be working on one any time soon.

All through the day he was acting the smartass like "Johnny down the back" at school. Then he arrived back 15 mins late after a liquid lunch and was twice as cocky. Going "Sir.. Sir.. Sir. Can I go to the toilet?" And nonsense like that

A few years later I met the tutor at a gig and got chatting to him and asked if he'd remembered yer man from the course and he did. I asked him did your man fail and he replied, "No. He passed with flying colours. Do you think I wanted the cnut back in the class 6 weeks later when the dole crowd would send him again?

sligojoek wrote: »
    I did it in 2002. There was this lad in his 50s at the time on the course ant it was obvious from the word go he'd never worked on a building site and wouldn't be working on one any time soon.

All through the day he was acting the smartass like "Johnny down the back" at school. Then he arrived back 15 mins late after a liquid lunch and was twice as cocky. Going "Sir.. Sir.. Sir. Can I go to the toilet?" And nonsense like that

A few years later I met the tutor at a gig and got chatting to him and asked if he'd remembered yer man from the course and he did. I asked him did your man fail and he replied, "No. He passed with flying colours. Do you think I wanted the cnut back in the class 6 weeks later when the dole crowd would send him again?

Then there ought to be a "compulsory period of revision" of x weeks/ months following failure to get folk to pull their jocks up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Anyone listening to the Paddy O Gorman on the radio now? He's doing a playback from his archives. Very good so far.

Well known performer had grant rejected. WHOY?

Stradbally, Electric Picnic, local says NO!

Philip from yesterday unable to visit uncle in hotspittle. More calls coming in same vein.

Fridge locked on babysitter so she couldn't raid it.

• Advertisement

- well know anonymous 'performer' not getting any of the grant money , WHOY
    maybe it went on money declared etc
    - Stradbally fellow not ready for the electric picnic, again WHOY
    - Fellow from yesterday , who's uncle has been in hospitable since January for 2 months till he has been able to hug him last week.

other ****e mentioned too I think

Well known performer had grant rejected. WHOY?

Stradbally, Electric Picnic, local says NO!

Philip from yesterday unable to visit uncle in hotspittle. More calls coming in same vein.

Fridge locked on babysitter so she couldn't raid it.

Was the performer Sammy Sausages? Who recieved hundreds of thousands in grant money through a company that was found to be tax evading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm guessing the performer is Robert Mizell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

....Fridge locked on babysitter so she couldn't raid it.
    :D:D:D:D
    Was the babysitter a fatsie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On todays show....
    • A well known singer got a nowt off of the Covid Skint Artist fund. Who is it? Clue, he's a mate of Ronan. One of the Funny Friday crew?

• First it was Ulster, then it was Grange Hill.... Now Stradbally says no!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRreCxR3Nxy8CQRkK55xuFg2p2iYn-inQylyA&usqp=CAU

• More on relatives and sick families and access to each other.

• Bad Babysitters and badder families; what do you let them do when indoors?*

All this and more from 1:45.

*And don't try and sneak your boyfriends over to listen in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Was the performer Sammy Sausages? Who recieved hundreds of thousands in grant money through a company that was found to be tax evading?

Didn't Mr Sausages also just film the very important cultural imperative of his panto and then charge for people sitting in their cars to watch the yoke?
    That was a very green Minister for the Arts writing a massive public dosh cheque within days of a Liveline show and saying 'oh sorry, it was an oversight'

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭phonypony

On todays show....

A well known singer got a nowt off of the Covid Skint Artist fund. Who is it? Clue, he's a mate of Ronan. One of the Funny Friday crew?

Paddy Cole? Red Hurley? Dicky??

phonypony wrote: »
    Paddy Cole? Red Hurley? Dicky??
    Syl Fox? Twink? Big Tom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭phonypony

zell12 wrote: »
    Syl Fox? Twink? Big Tom?

Oh dear, never thought of herself... That would be good radio! Zip up yer money...

Syl Fox? Twink? Big Tom?

The Louis Copeland Big Band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Hopefully Joes dead end stalldeball mouths have been used up and she can get started with some actual fresh callers.

has to be The Brush

has to be The Brush

img_0665.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Syl Fox? Twink? Big Tom?
    Al Porter?

Bingo Loco?

never heard of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Will they get a few hundred grand like yer man Hughes got for his online panto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

All singin’, all dancin’ Bingo?

Bingo Loco?
    never heard of him
    of the Loco's of Ballyer? You must've heard of them

Bingo Loco , 300-400 shows wurld wide , yearly apparently.

Never heard of them.

Another chancer with the poor hand out

• Advertisement

Is this the very well known performer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement