Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Dog Groomers

Options
  • 23-05-2021 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have been working for the past while toward starting my own mobile dog grooming business . There is a gap in the market in my area and I have just finished a grooming course and am looking for advice .

I am getting redundancy from current job so I suppose it’s now or never . Does anyone have any advice on hidden costs pitfalls ? And how much insurance would cost ballpark ?

And the big one I need answering is on the van itself, I have seen a few Uk companies online that can fit out your van with all that tools needed , bath , table , harnesses etc but cannot find info on any Irish service doing the same .

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Mutz4cuts in Naas used to do mobile grooming but not anymore. Maybe ask them why they stopped just so that you know the pitfalls

There's also a sort of franchise operation https://www.mobiledogwash.ie/franchise-information That might be the best route for you.

Another option is to see if a local vet has space and will rent it out.

But it's a very good business especially if you have a rapport with the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd be getting them to drop to your house themselves n forget about the van. Say it takes you an hour to do the pooch and you charge e60 they'll be grumbling.
    If they drop at your house at 10 n collect at 3 there won't be a word about the e60 n no time wasted traveling.
    Best of luck either way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

enricoh wrote: »
    I'd be getting them to drop to your house themselves n forget about the van. Say it takes you an hour to do the pooch and you charge e60 they'll be grumbling.
    If they drop at your house at 10 n collect at 3 there won't be a word about the e60 n no time wasted traveling.
    Best of luck either way.

Why would they be grumbling if they know the cost upfront of the services and are paying you to come do the job? It's not like you do the work and then say surprise it's €60..

You risk becoming a dog babysitter with your approach - clients dropping off their dog and then going off for a wander around the shops and not returning at the time they should and you are left trying to babysit that dog while working on another client.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It’s a good little business with regular clientele.

Are you based near a large town/city or in the country? Maybe add additional charges the further away from your base on a radius.

People who aren’t mobile would be a big market - pensioners, disabled etc. So a discount for them might help.

You’ll be able to take on interns/trainees but they will leave and start on their own/try and steal your clients so be careful.

Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Thanks for your replies guys , just one other thing . My plan was to get my van fitted and start getting going .

However there is a franchise available in my area and I wondered if that is a better option re getting a client base , marketing and fitting your vehicle for you ?

The buy in is over 15K and the ongoing payment is 300 per month afterwards though . It seems a bit steep to me but is it a good safety net to have their experience to fall back on when so many new businesses fail .

I believe there is a market there but have no experience in running my own business so I am torn on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tastyt wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies guys , just one other thing . My plan was to get my van fitted and start getting going .

However there is a franchise available in my area and I wondered if that is a better option re getting a client base , marketing and fitting your vehicle for you ?

The buy in is over 15K and the ongoing payment is 300 per month afterwards though . It seems a bit steep to me but is it a good safety net to have their experience to fall back on when so many new businesses fail .

I believe there is a market there but have no experience in running my own business so I am torn on it ?

What can the franchise offer you that you can’t do yourself? If your answer is lots then go for it otherwise you’ll soon resent paying all that money out to them but powerless to do anything about it because you’ve signed a contract.

Get other quotes to fit out the van. They probably don’t have much of a client base near you and Marketing you can do yourself pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Why don't you start out doing them at the weekend and see how you get on?
    15k +300 a month and you're van on top I take it. 10k for a half decent van n 10k? to fit it out , plus insurance. Guts of 50k all of a sudden, n the pressure is on!
    The girl that does mine has an old portakabin that may have cost 1-2k and has 3 week wait from when you book. I know which I'd prefer instead of traipsing around looking for houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eviem

Hope you don't mind me asking but where did you do the course as I'm thinking of doing one myself, thanks in advance

Advertisement