Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny jailed for refusing to wear a face mask

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The mask wearing thing should be a choice now with so many people vaccinated. What is the point in vaccinations unless the restrictions are lifted on masks, travel etc.

Masks are the simplest restriction. Keep the mask rules to help protect the unvaccinated.

If we let the simple restrictions go as we open we will be in a position to need the difficult restrictions (like keeping bars and restaurants shut).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Unbelievable sending a Granny to jail for refusing to wear a face mask.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gran-sent-to-prison-over-refusal-to-wear-mask-40455194.html

Not at all unbelievable, this individual used up numerous chances given to her and in essence was putting her two fingers up to the court.

But as an aside, the judge must be commended for the funniest put down of a defendant in an Irish Court in years, and I quote

"She arrives to court without a Mask, and worse, with Smile" :)

Let's see if she purges her contempt towards the court and indeed numerous SHOP workers she frequented without mask for MONTHS

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Unbelievable sending a Granny to jail for refusing to wear a face mask.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/gran-sent-to-prison-over-refusal-to-wear-mask-40455194.html

She stuck two fingers up to the judicial system. She was given many opportunities to avoid prison.

She was very lucky not to get 3 months for her abject stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No, not when it comes to face coverings, if your afraid of someone keep your distance she's entitled to go into shops with a reasonable excuse.

I witnessed a mentally disabled girl freaking out in a shop the other day as she said she couldn't breathe in the mask, her minder kept forcing it back on her, felt really sorry for her, she was sitting down on a seat inside the shop as I was leaving crying her eyes out.
    They're not worth it in my opinion due to the negative effects on society, if you want to wear one off you go but nobody should be forced.

I call this as made up BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

Darc19 wrote: »

Also call BS on this. First, how does the poster know the lady in question was mentally disabled. Second the person with her, should that be the case, would more than likely be aware of that if it was the case and would not be forcing her to wear it. Third, yeah...let's face it (see what I did there) the poster seems to bring out stories to make them feel better about fighting the power! (Wearing a small face covering). Rage Against the Machine they aint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

She stuck two fingers up to the judicial system. She was given many opportunities to avoid prison.

She was very lucky not to get 3 months for her abject stupidity.

Precisely and I'm sure there'll be suggestions about the defendants mental health, this was dealt with during numerous appearances and not deemed a mitigating factor.

What a shame the Learned Judge wasn't dealing with some recent attempted wedding gatherings elsewhere in the country.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Masks are the simplest restriction. Keep the mask rules to help protect the unvaccinated.

If we let the simple restrictions go as we open we will be in a position to need the difficult restrictions (like keeping bars and restaurants shut).

They don’t actually bother me much and I wore one from the start when they weren’t mandatory. However, surely with the elderly vaccinated we need to move on now. The majority are not at real risk it needs to be remembered.

If they distress her it's a reasonable excuse so she shouldn't have been in court in the first place. Surprised at Dunnes for reporting her and the manager challenging her it's not really the norm.

You don't seem to care about how she harassed the staff though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

They don’t actually bother me much and I wore one from the start when they weren’t mandatory. However, surely with the elderly vaccinated we need to move on now. The majority are not at real risk it needs to be remembered.

True the majority are not at real risk but there is still risk.

Masks should be the last restriction to lift imo.

I'd rather gyms or restaurants open than make masks optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah shur, at least she got some quite time with god, she ll probably feel better after it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I seem to recall other similar stories involving distressed children as an attempt at heartstrings tugging.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ah, so you pick and choose who gets freedom of choice based on your beliefs about covid, gotcha.
    How do staff keep a distance all day every day in a small shop ? Or do they not matter, because the customer should be able to do whatever they want and **** the staff?

Having to wear a mask for a few minutes in a shop doesn't have negative effects on society, stop talking nonsense. Its an absolute minor issue that a certain cohort are trying to make in to a major one.

Your anecdotal evidence of what I'd see as an carer issue doesn't prove anything. Over a year in to this, I doubt that was the girls first interaction with a mask. The career clearly wasn't doing their job right, if its such an issue for a person, they shouldn't have been brought somewhere like that.

You asked a hypothetical question I assumed in good faith surely any answer doesn't deserve such and agressive response.
    Not sure how many shops you've been in the vast majority I see the staff are behind perspex, most due to their age profile are not at risk of death and I'd guess the majority of staff or customers wouldn't be wearing a face covering if it wasn't mandated with the threat of incarceration or court appearance.

As for the minder I really wanted to jump in, I thought it was unnecessary behavior as if anyone had a reasonable excuse that girl did, no law broken if she didn't were one, I thought the whole incident was cruel.
    Your correct she shouldn't have been brought in, it was the minder that wanted to shop in sports direct from my reading of the situation.

Healthy people should not be going to jail for not wearing a face covering on any planet. You've been subject to mind control techniques by Government and can't seem to see it, remember that happiness index, we were too God dam happy at one stage which made Tony concerned.
    The venom in this thread for the lady stands testament to how intolerant we've become of each other and the absolute fear that has been ingrained in people by Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Subject to mind control"

How does a monkey get so drunk this early?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Mask wearing is utterly useless both inside and outside. What is most ridiculous are people who are fully vaccinated - also utterly useless since the death rate is less than 1% for the infected - still wearing masks even in their cars when they are alone or while walking in the park. Do they think Dr Tony is watching them?

The persecution of this 66 year old woman and the shrill hysteria of the increasingly absurd maskurbators reminds me of the Japanese leaping from the cliffs of Saipan or the Gestapo rushing around shooting deserters in Berlin as the Red Army closed the ring around the city.

I am positive as life returns to normal mask wearers will be still among us as sad wraith like zombies

Maskurbators. They've learned a new word. Adorable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

pjohnson wrote: »
    Maskurbators. They've learned a new word. Adorable.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭myfreespirit

You asked a hypothetical question I assumed in good faith surely any answer doesn't deserve such and agressive response.
    Not sure how many shops you've been in the vast majority I see the staff are behind perspex, most due to their age profile are not at risk of death and I'd guess the majority of staff or customers wouldn't be wearing a face covering if it wasn't mandated with the threat of incarceration or court appearance.

Healthy people should not be going to jail for not wearing a face covering on any planet. You've been subject to mind control techniques by Government
    The venom in this thread for the lady stands testament to how intolerant we've become of each other and the absolute fear that has been ingrained in people by Government.

Sigh.
    Another example of what Umberto Eco meant when he spoke about "legions of idiots on social media" given equal voice to Nobel laureates.

You don't seem to care about how she harassed the staff though...

Tbh I think the manger brought it on themselves, I've seen some crazy behavior from the general public, I had one guy absolutely lose it an spit and punch the perspex as he thought I was some kind of tyrant for forcing him to wear a mask, I done nothing of the sort he had a bad reaction to the poster on the door and wanted to vent, I wanted to report him as he was violent but didn't, he'd obviously had a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The persecution of this 66 year old woman and the shrill hysteria of the increasingly absurd maskurbators reminds me of the Japanese leaping from the cliffs of Saipan or the Gestapo rushing around shooting deserters in Berlin as the Red Army closed the ring around the city.

pro facers...maskurbators...Nazi germany, Gestapo...FFS. This place has me just shaking my head sometimes.

Tbh I think the manger brought it on themselves, I've seen some crazy behavior from the general public, I had one guy absolutely lose it an spit and punch the perspex as he thought I was some kind of tyrant for forcing him to wear a mask, I done nothing of the sort he had a bad reaction to the poster on the door and wanted to vent, I wanted to report him as he was violent but didn't, he'd obviously had a breakdown.
    Have you wrote a memoir? So many topical stories for every possible situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Deub

the vast majority I see the staff are behind perspex, most due to their age profile are not at risk of death

Not true. There is no age group not at risk.

I am positive as life returns to normal mask wearers will be still among us as sad wraith like zombies

Jesus, how do you achieve such imaginational functioning at this time of the night! There's a bit of common curtacy in regards mask wearing at the moment, not everyone is fully vaccinated, we all hate wearing the things, some are extremely vulnerable and terrified of catching this thing, just stick the damn thing on, for the few minutes it's required

She did it in multiple businesses apparently so she was acting as a public nuisance. I also am beginning to not believe your anecdotes, they're sounding pretty invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If anything, her age and grandmother status should be held against here here.

She’s not some immature lout acting the maggot..

Supposed to have wisdom, maturity and sense...supposed to..

Good enough for her. Deliberately going out of her way to cause trouble.

osarusan wrote: »
    pro facers...maskurbators...Nazi germany, Gestapo...FFS. This place has me just shaking my head sometimes.

You haven't heard of the transvaxxers yet then:D

You haven't heard of the transvaxxers yet then

Surely we can make the ultimate term this morning on boards, come on folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

She shouldn't go in to shops that require her to wear something that distresses her then. Private businesses should be able to set their own rules. Youd think you "freedom of choice " lads would be sticking up for dunnes to be able to set their own rules on their propertyh ere,

We all know its bull**** that they distress her anyway, just like all the other idiots that pretend they can't wear them for "medical reasons". I bet if they go skiing and its freezing cold, suddenly masks aren't an issue.

“Private businesses should be able to set their own rules” - So a racist shopkeeper should be able to ban foreigners? If I own a shop and decide mentally handicapped people take too long at the tills, I can ban them?

Or do you mean, private businesses should be able to set their own rules, that Guy:Incognito agrees with.

As for the minder I really wanted to jump in, I thought it was unnecessary behavior as if anyone had a reasonable excuse that girl did, no law broken if she didn't were one, I thought the whole incident was cruel.
    Your correct she shouldn't have been brought in, it was the minder that wanted to shop in sports direct from my reading of the situation.

Healthy people should not be going to jail for not wearing a face covering on any planet. You've been subject to mind control techniques by Government and can't seem to see it, remember that happiness index, we were too God dam happy at one stage which made Tony concerned.

Sorry, you may have missed my question. How do you know for a fact that this girl had mental health issues, per your original post on this point, that you used to enforce your need to not wear a mask?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mask wearing is utterly useless both inside and outside. What is most ridiculous are people who are fully vaccinated - also utterly useless since the death rate is less than 1% for the infected - still wearing masks even in their cars when they are alone or while walking in the park. Do they think Dr Tony is watching them?

Stay out of this thread

• Advertisement

Fandymo wrote: »
    “Private businesses should be able to set their own rules” - So a racist shopkeeper should be able to ban foreigners? If I own a shop and decide mentally handicapped people take too long at the tills, I can ban them?

Or do you mean, private businesses should be able to set their own rules, that Guy:Incognito agrees with.

Direct risk to public health of the population does not equal "I'm not going to serve x because they are y" as much as folks with that kind of argument would like it to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement