Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Can't ask for a fairer compromise than what Cubbard offered them there. No guarantees it makes either party happy obviously but at least the car enthusiasts have been heard and will know what they need to do to make these gatherings official events.

I certainly think the rascals are a small percentage of car enthusiasts though and plenty of them have spoken out against the OTT behavior from that small percentage.

Next step is to try and get the yuppy dry robe enthusiasts to look before they swing open their driver doors on a busy road :pac:

What did he offer them. The meeting isn’t until 8 o’clock tomorrow according to the wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

What did he offer them. The meeting isn’t until 8 o’clock tomorrow according to the wireless

The meeting itself is a nice compromise. He'll tell them what can feasibly be done, no doubt the long list of documentation and paperwork needed for an event, and finally if that's too much work for the organisers then it can't be said they weren't listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Suprised Parkmore wasnt mentioned. During the weekends its dead. carparks galore to the utilized. Most carparks are empty or have skeleton staff on the weekend.

skinny90 wrote: »
    Suprised Parkmore wasnt mentioned. During the weekends its dead. carparks galore to the utilized. Most carparks are empty or have skeleton staff on the weekend.
    The companies with the skeleton staff probably wouldn't be too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

The companies with the skeleton staff probably wouldn't be too impressed.

East side of the park wouldnt be affected, staff who work there work 9-5, 10-6 shifts, now all at home. ( i used to in a past life). not sure about medtronics side and shifts.

Also these events arnt an all day events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/DrRHilliard/status/1397932390186582018?s=19

Great bunch of lads. A car park where nobody has to listen to them would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Great bunch of lads. A car park where nobody has to listen to them would be ideal.

How people are defending this carry on is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Toxic masculinity. Revving engines, 'fanny wrecker' stickers, catcalling children. Don't you know that makes them more manly.

But "it's only a tiny minority" who did that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Another bunch of self entitled troublemakers expecting society to provide them with facilities. If they had any interest doing something right they could have formed a motor club and hired out a track or car park for the day.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Zzippy wrote: »
    Toxic masculinity. Revving engines, 'fanny wrecker' stickers, catcalling children. Don't you know that makes them more manly.

Sure they pay for an NCT and insurance just like the rest of us so they’re “entitled” to act like this ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm sure he'll be back shortly with another excuse/deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I wonder did they try to hire Mondello Park at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

"Shur them GAA fans are always catcalling children, and not a peep out of you then! "

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

Can they not (seeing as there's supposedly hundreds if not thousands of them) put their money together and book say a day's access to Mondello Park, or other circuits if there are suitable ones in the country that can accommodate them and let them drive around and show off and do whatever else it is they want to do when they have these meet ups? Surely if there's enough of them it wouldn't work out all that expensive. They're already filling their fuel tanks to drive to Galway from all over (apparently). Make it an event so if others want to go and spectate they can and have all the craic they want etc.

I saw a few propose the old Galway airport area, so I presume those posters were thinking along the same lines.

If they want to drive through cities and towns they're legally entitled to do so if they're cars are legal and they've paid their tax and insurance like anyone else of course, but if they're going to act the pr*ck and be antisocial and their gatherings are causing problems, then the authorities need to intervene as the general public shouldn't need to be affected by their reckless driving and general behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Referring to me I take it?

Fuck that, at no point did I try and "excuse/deflect" anything - let alone harassment of women, or children, I made a point to call it deplorable, which it absolutely is.

I merely pointed out stupid arguments, and you appear to be salty because some of them came from yourself.

I'm sure a small minority of any group - be it these lads, or GAA fans - are pricks who cat call etc. While it does, in no way offer any kind of excuse for abuse of any kind directed at anyone - I don't think you can continue to generalise this against every person who was in salthill on sunday.

Those who keep going on about mondello - this isn't a motorsport event, why would mondello want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I merely pointed out stupid arguments, and you appear to be salty because some of them came from yourself.

I'm sure a small minority of any group - be it these lads, or GAA fans - are pricks who cat call etc. While it does, in no way offer any kind of excuse for abuse of any kind directed at anyone - I don't think you can continue to generalise this against every person who was in salthill on sunday.

I've been to hundreds of GAA matches over the years and never saw a child being catcalled. The only stupid arguments being offered here are from yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I've been to hundreds of GAA matches over the years and never saw a child being catcalled. The only stupid arguments being offered here are from yourself.

I got punched in the head as a child by a drunk fan at a GAA match in Croker, not quite the same as catcalled but physical violence against a child - Do I reckon all GAA fans do that to kids because of this? No, I don't - because that would be a stupid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

A respectable event organiser would do something about all this, rather than using the "can't control it, sorry" excuse, as they have done to date.

Cat calling 12 year olds, ffs what is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

skinny90 wrote: »

I work weekends in park more, don't want these eejits farting around in their suped up buckets of sh1te.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A lot of those cars can't get over the speed ramps in the industrial estates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Zzippy wrote: »

#notallboyracers

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

There will no doubt still be a sh1t load of cars going about, to be honest as I said before if rather see this then the guys up to no good dealing drugs and robbing houses.

Some love sitting at home, some love going for a walk along a beach, some love going shopping spending a fortune on that, some love going away on holidays spending a fortune in another country, these guys in most cases have a passion for cars or bikes, yeah sure some are nuts, some spend eye watering amounts on mods etc but isn't it all better then the bad ...

my lad is into the cars and his girlfriend's brother was one of those lads (14) that sat at home all the time and his parents were worried about him with the amount of time he was spending online, so one night my lad told the young fella he was coming with them to McDonald's but after, he took him to meet his mates that are also into cars, them lads talked to him about their cars and what was what, then they went diffin out the countryside, that young fella is a totally different kid now.
    even though my fella is not long into the car scene he reckons the majority are the soundest and the most helpfull and are so passionate about their cars.
    and as for money, his wages are gone as soon as he gets it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

The car scene seems to be quite big in this country and is seemingly growing ( only what i hear from my son) and it looks like mike cuppard is the only one man enough to try and work with these lads and ladies, the other politicians (2 in particular) are only jumping on the bandwagon and saying what you want to hear.
    If it is such a problem why didn't they try stop it yrs ago when they were/are in the tesco shopping center, do the people of bohermore not matter?
    Some of the comments on facebook are absolutely ridiculous and abusive i'd dreed to think what's sent on messenger or emailed to the organizers.
    So what's the soloution, mcneilis one, bring down the customs rsa ect so what if say they find 300 /400 are 100% compliant, what next just stop them because they upset a few people, i personally cant stand the galway races and i know a good few others that have no time for it either, but we just get on with it and work our lives around it or should we make enough noise to try stop it.
    Seen a good few cars around town/salthill today and the guards didn't bother with them.

People giving out about loss of business, alot weren't allowed park up in salthill by the guards, which personally i think was crazy, but I'm sure the shops, coffee shops, petrol stations, takeaways done alright outa them.

Rubbish and going to relieving themselves in gardens and doorways. disgusting but happens alot around the city. read on a post on face book that they cleaned up the car park after they finished, i presume it meant the black box car park

Drinking/Drugs, personally id be more worried about the teenagers doing it around the parks most weekends even beside the garda station and nothing done to try stop it'

Catcalling, well i hope were all in agreement that is wrong at a child or any woman for that matter.

Personally i think Galway Airport is ideal, close to dual carriageway, motorway and alot more activities could use it aswell, i persume the council own it.

One thing that might come out of this is that we really need to look at the infrastructure and plan sooner than later and paying €7million for a foot bridge is scandalous, even if the car meet ups moved somewhere else we must have close to x amount of houses /apartments/offices being built. beside coilste na coirbe, town, mervue, ballybane ect ect .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

its fanny smasher not wrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

spud65 wrote: »
    The car scene seems to be quite big in this country and is seemingly growing ( only what i hear from my son) and it looks like mike cuppard is the only one man enough to try and work with these lads and ladies, the other politicians (2 in particular) are only jumping on the bandwagon and saying what you want to hear.
    If it is such a problem why didn't they try stop it yrs ago when they were/are in the tesco shopping center, do the people of bohermore not matter?
    Some of the comments on facebook are absolutely ridiculous and abusive i'd dreed to think what's sent on messenger or emailed to the organizers.
    So what's the soloution, mcneilis one, bring down the customs rsa ect so what if say they find 300 /400 are 100% compliant, what next just stop them because they upset a few people, i personally cant stand the galway races and i know a good few others that have no time for it either, but we just get on with it and work our lives around it or should we make enough noise to try stop it.
    Seen a good few cars around town/salthill today and the guards didn't bother with them.

People giving out about loss of business, alot weren't allowed park up in salthill by the guards, which personally i think was crazy, but I'm sure the shops, coffee shops, petrol stations, takeaways done alright outa them.

Rubbish and going to relieving themselves in gardens and doorways. disgusting but happens alot around the city. read on a post on face book that they cleaned up the car park after they finished, i presume it meant the black box car park

Drinking/Drugs, personally id be more worried about the teenagers doing it around the parks most weekends even beside the garda station and nothing done to try stop it'

Catcalling, well i hope were all in agreement that is wrong at a child or any woman for that matter.

Personally i think Galway Airport is ideal, close to dual carriageway, motorway and alot more activities could use it aswell, i persume the council own it.

One thing that might come out of this is that we really need to look at the infrastructure and plan sooner than later and paying €7million for a foot bridge is scandalous, even if the car meet ups moved somewhere else we must have close to x amount of houses /apartments/offices being built. beside coilste na coirbe, town, mervue, ballybane ect ect .

Nobody has a problem with these young people having their pastime and being passionate about it.
    Personally, I think it's got a lot going for it. Better than spending all their time online gaming or drinking their weekends away.
    It's a great skill set to learn and something they could build a career on.
    However, like any other group gathering in large numbers that are likely to cause disruption to the locality, they need to organise, communicate and abide by local laws and rules.
    That wasn't happening.
    Hopefully, the meetings with Cubbard and local councillors can come to a successful conclusion for everyone.

Your points on bridges and other infrastructure probably belong in another thread.

Advertisement