Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Surely this falls under some kind of anti social behaviour? I was about one hour today going from Knocknacarra to city centre because of this. The city was completely clogged up with this shlt. What is the actual point of it? A bunch of young ones going around revving at each other and shouting out their windows for what purpose? It’s all grand until you’re stuck in traffic for an hour because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Surely this falls under some kind of anti social behaviour? I was about one hour today going from Knocknacarra to city centre because of this. The city was completely clogged up with this shlt. What is the actual point of it? A bunch of young ones going around revving at each other for what purpose? It’s all grand until you’re stuck in traffic for an hour because of it

That's there social output and what they like to do. Doing no harm. Same on any match day nd nothing said.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

dockysher wrote: »
    That's there social output and what they like to do. Doing no harm. Same on any match day nd nothing said.

Matches serve a purpose. What is the actual point to this, only to completely grid lock the city and piss everyone off? If this is going to be the case all summer long it is going to do a lot of harm. Sorry but it’s completely unacceptable to take over the city like that and act like you own the place

They might not play gaa so serves a purpose to them. Each to their own. I live right on prom so noise annoys me to but it's good see people living again.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

It's actually so similar to what happens on match days ie. the young lads revving engines as opposed to beeping their horns, the general revelry and just harmless messing that I can't understand the people getting so worked up about it. The talk of all the what if someone needed an ambulance and if older people needed to go somewhere and families leaving Salthill all just seems a bit ott.
    It's been a ****show of a year It's just great to see people having the craic and enjoying themselves. It's not my type of craic and I don't really love cars but what harm. They have as much right to enjoy the prom and Salthill as me and my friends and family.

• Advertisement

bertsmom wrote: »
    It's actually so similar to what happens on match days ie. the young lads revving engines as opposed to beeping their horns, the general revelry and just harmless messing that I can't understand the people getting so worked up about it. The talk of all the what if someone needed an ambulance and if older people needed to go somewhere and families leaving Salthill all just seems a bit ott.
    It's been a ****show of a year It's just great to see people having the craic and enjoying themselves. It's not my type of craic and I don't really love cars but what harm. They have as much right to enjoy the prom and Salthill as me and my friends and family.

Facts

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Here's some of the 'legends'. Classy.

The diesel 105bhp powerplant, surprised it can even manage to hit motorway speeds with that cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Matches serve a purpose.

What purpose, apart from keeping cognitively challenged people occupied in peacetime? The car rallys are doing much the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What purpose, apart from keeping cognitively challenged people occupied in peacetime? The car rallys are doing much the same thing.

Didn't know you were a GAA fan.

As for those saying it's doing no harm and is the same as matches, it really, really isn't. Match days contribute economically to Salthill. This shower contribute heavy traffic to the entire city and then noise and obnoxious behaviour in Salthill itself, nothing more. I'm also fairly confident in saying that there are more choices out there for them than murdering etc, as was claimed above.

It'll most likely be stopped anyway once Keith has his say on the radio today you'd imagine, the outrage will be tangible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

dockysher wrote: »

I don't think shouting obscene things at random women passing by on the street is "doing no harm". The "fanny smashers" as per their self declaration on the back window of their cars could do with some harassment courses.

Certainly haven't witnessed that on any match day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

No harm done good to see a big of colour & activity round town. If there was 34,000 boggers at a GAA match in salthill with tailbacks out to Oranmore or headford no one would notice.
    + yesterday was absolutely the busiest day down town post covdi since Christmas so i don't think there entirely to blame for the shambolic traffic.

Notch000 wrote: »
    No harm done good to see a big of colour & activity round town. If there was 34,000 boggers at a GAA match in salthill with tailbacks out to Oranmore or headford no one would notice.

If there was a big match in Salthill every Sunday, plenty would take notice. If the Galway Races were on every week, plenty would take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I don't think shouting obscene things at random women passing by on the street is "doing no harm". The "fanny smashers" as per their self declaration on the back window of their cars could do with some harassment courses.

Certainly haven't witnessed that on any match day.

I’d doubt a whole group of car drivers can be accused of sexual harassment ... From what I seen yesterday a good majority of the cars had some women in them, and indeed many of the cars drove by women. I’m sure there could be an odd lad who goes above and beyond showing off... but that happens when groups of lads going to the gaa matches also .... and groups of women have been known to whistle at lone men before without it being called sexual harassment ...

of course in the current climate there’s too many of our new easily offended generation who wants to view and label everything as either sexist, racist or discriminatory ... they should stay at home and update their Facebook accounts and leave their hatred and bile there ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I don't know if your latest schtick is to purposefully troll people into hurling personal insults at you, but I'd say you're getting close.

1/10 Tries hard, but lacks imagination and coherent argument.

Salthill’s got no capacity at the best of times, it certainly has no access being beyond the Sean Molvoy chokepoint. Terrible location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

dundrum23 wrote: »
    I was in Galway and the noise from them was unbelievable, really disturbing. They tore up and down local roads, dangerous. They blocked up the prom road completely, 1000 cars was the word out. Insane revving and fumes. They looked barely 16 or 17 years old and all were drinking beer in the cars. Children were intimidated and families left. Buses and elderly people were stuck for an hour trying to get from A to B. They’re planning it for every weekend over the summer in Salthill. Local businesses are raging as their paying customers were driven away by it, so I heard. Yeah it’s not nice for hard working locals who want to relax by the sea to have this obnoxious constant noise and fumes, not to mention speeding risks, going on all day. Why can’t they go to Galway airport or somewhere similar and show off and do their beloved doughnuts there? The Council and Gardai are apparently meeting about it in next day or two to prevent recurrence.

Are these the same local businesses who done their best to ensure a cycle lane couldn't even be trialled along the prom, because it would take away parking spaces for cars? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Or maybe parking spaces aren't for those cars.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was those pesky cyclists that are organinsing these events just for petty revenge:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

No problem with boy racers

No problem with young lads spending their money on something they're passionate about...

Do have a problem with a seriously loud and obtrusive exhaust. Especially when its as pointless as was on display yesterday.

Loud exhaust on a ferrari...probably necessary given the engine size...

Loud exhaust on a VW Bora...get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't know if your latest schtick is to purposefully troll people into hurling personal insults at you, but I'd say you're getting close.

1/10 Tries hard, but lacks imagination and coherent argument.

There is a facility to ignore/mute posters you find annoying or think are trolls. I find it very useful; unfortunately you still see their posts when other people quote them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They could do a no revving rule and sort most of their issues so

Same too for any dangerous driving or drinking etc to just keep it family friendly it could be a nice thing

I wasn't at it but was in the motorway traffic with some of them heading home from somewhere else and it was very good. About 20 cars doing 121km/h using the correct lanes with lights on, indicating, proper following distances.

Big upgrade on the usual standard of motorway driving. Whatever anyone got up to in galway I didn't see anything bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

bertsmom wrote: »
    They have as much right to enjoy the prom and Salthill as me and my friends and family.

How exactly are they enjoying the prom? People go there for the fresh air, the walk and the view. How is revving engines for 4 hours enjoying it? If that's what they want to do then let them pïss off to somewhere more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

How exactly are they enjoying the prom? People go there for the fresh air, the walk and the view. How is revving engines for 4 hours enjoying it? If that's what they want to do then let them pïss off to somewhere more suitable.

Where's that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

LillySV wrote: »
    I’d doubt a whole group of car drivers can be accused of sexual harassment ... From what I seen yesterday a good majority of the cars had some women in them, and indeed many of the cars drove by women. I’m sure there could be an odd lad who goes above and beyond showing off... but that happens when groups of lads going to the gaa matches also .... and groups of women have been known to whistle at lone men before without it being called sexual harassment ...

of course in the current climate there’s too many of our new easily offended generation who wants to view and label everything as either sexist, racist or discriminatory ... they should stay at home and update their Facebook accounts and leave their hatred and bile there ..

Oh yes, its the people complainings fault, not the fellas with vulgar things written across the car window shouting at random women out enjoying their Sunday about their "fannies" and "gee".

Some bunch of "fanny smashers" and "gee pounders" (per the self description across the car windows) they are I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Apparently, this is meant to be a weekly event. Is there enough support for this to be a weekly thing? I think most people can take a day of inconvenience.

If this does come back next week I hope the traffic corps will come too. Saw them racing down Ballymoneen Rd speeding past mothers with buggies towards the church. That's not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Apparently, this is meant to be a weekly event. Is there enough support for this to be a weekly thing? I think most people can take a day of inconvenience.

They were there last week, too. Did you notice them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take some time off from this thread. See you Wednesday.

Revving engines much like not picking up dogshit should be policed if it's an issue. You don't see people calling for dogs to be banned on the prom when there's a few bits of **** left over after the weekend though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Personally, I think they like the reaction they're getting. I think they're enjoying putting people out, taking control of the prom and they'd love the reaction on here.
    They're kids in toy cars. How else would they behave.
    Let them rent a venue, accept the costs involved, charge a fee and see how many are willing to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Personally, I think they like the reaction they're getting. I think they're enjoying putting people out, taking control of the prom and they'd love the reaction on here.
    Let them rent a venue, accept the costs involved, charge a fee and see how many are willing to participate.

football - nothing but a bunch of clowns chasing bags of wind around fields with 000's of slack jawed onlookers roaring at them, clogging up roads and beeping their horns going to and from their events and pissing in peoples gardens

horses - nothing but clowns getting on the back of overgrown donkeys and abusing them by making them carry them around and jump over stuff / run around on grass with 000's of slack jawed onlookers roaring at them clogging up roads and beeping their horns going to and from their events and pissing in peoples gardens

dogwalkers - nothing but clowns walking around with over pampered rats letting them poo everywhere so they can blind children and make other people's shoes smell bad, clogging up the roads as they drive somewhere to only then get out and walk

sea swimmers - nothing but clowns wearing €200 towels drinking coffee blocking the beaches and roads with their SUVs and towels, clogging up the roads when they could just get in the bath.

See, you can make any hobby/interest sound bad if you try hard enough.

What do you drive you big manly man with your manly real car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’ve had a look around the FB page for the organisers. They seem to be emphasising good behaviour and, as with most large gatherings, its a few messers spoiling it for the majority.
    I avoided going to Salthill yesterday in the same way I avoid it on GAA match days. Luckily there are enough days of the week to visit the prom when large crowds are not expected.
    Maybe a once per month event rather than weekly would be a solution to this?

Advertisement