Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Don't know how to quote multiple posts so to answer above.

I have no problem with modified cars. I been to loads of car/vintage/ classic shows where they're displayed and have had a good look around some. Some well thought out modifications and some are just...
    Love old classic cars, but wouldn't be in favour of them having unorganised rallys either. They take the time and effort to organize events and rallys and try not to put anyone out.
    Modified car owners behaving as they did on Sunday is immature gob****ery.

For the record, my car reflects myself...large, grey and sluggish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Don't know how to quote multiple posts so to answer above.

I have no problem with modified cars. I been to loads of car/vintage/ classic shows where they're displayed and have had a good look around some. Some well thought out modifications and some are just...
    Love old classic cars, but wouldn't be in favour of them having unorganised rallys either. They take the time and effort to organize events and rallys and try not to put anyone out.
    Modified car owners behaving as they did on Sunday is immature gob****ery.

For the record, my car reflects myself...large, grey and sluggish

this is a thought out post compared to toy cars so fair enough you make good points

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I’ve had a look around the FB page for the organisers. They seem to be emphasising good behaviour and, as with most large gatherings, its a few messers spoiling it for the majority.
    I avoided going to Salthill yesterday in the same way I avoid it on GAA match days. Luckily there are enough days of the week to visit the prom when large crowds are not expected.
    Maybe a once per month event rather than weekly would be a solution to this?

When their original slogan was "Let's Get Salthill Wedged" it's clear they don't care about inconveniencing others.

You may be able to get to the prom any day of the week but for many families, Sunday is the only day they can do so. Salthill is effectively out of bounds for us now for the next few months if this carry on continues. My wife had the kids in the car trying to get into Galway Shopping Centre last Sunday and had to return home, our 2 year old was terrified with all the revving and backfiring engines. These ****s don't give a sh1t about anyone or anything but themselves and their modified cars.

Zzippy wrote: »
    When their original slogan was "Let's Get Salthill Wedged" it's clear they don't care about inconveniencing others.

You may be able to get to the prom any day of the week but for many families, Sunday is the only day they can do so. Salthill is effectively out of bounds for us now for the next few months if this carry on continues. My wife had the kids in the car trying to get into Galway Shopping Centre last Sunday and had to return home, our 2 year old was terrified with all the revving and backfiring engines. These ****s don't give a sh1t about anyone or anything but themselves and their modified cars.

so people organising a meet up said they wanted it wedged? they're hardly going to say lets get it half empty with 10 or 12 cars please

your 2 year old could have stood in the roof with a bottle of buckfast if you went at it with a more positive mindset

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

so people organising a meet up said they wanted it wedged? they're hardly going to say lets get it half empty with 10 or 12 cars please

your 2 year old could have stood in the roof with a bottle of buckfast if you went at it with a more positive mindset

Do they let you use a phone during school hours now?

What a moronic comment. Grow up.

• Advertisement

If you can't see that as a joke that's 100% on you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I guess this means the airshow is never coming back either, it's noisier than any car could ever manage, seeing as noise seems to be the bulk of the issue . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've never seen any other group use the term wedged to imply good turnout.
    Anyone organizing any event wants good turnout. That's common sense.
    To me, "Let's get Salthill Wedged" implies forethought as to what would happen if enough cars turned up. And they got what they wanted.
    No thought to others, just selfish, immature gob****ery.
    So next Sunday, large Gardai presence, a couple of large car transporters and see how much fun it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I guess this means the airshow is never coming back either, it's noisier than any car could ever manage, seeing as noise seems to be the bulk of the issue . :(

If the air show was happening every single Sunday, and getting progressively louder, busier and more disrespectful with every passing week, I think many would have a lot to say about that too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

*MOD NOTE*

If people can't post without insulting eachother vthe thread will get closed and cards will be handed out.

Improve the tone so a discussion can be allowed to continue

• Advertisement

If the air show was happening every single Sunday, and getting progressively louder, busier and disrespectful every passing week, I think many would have a lot to say about that too

So the noise isn't really the issue then?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Where's that now?

To be fair, there are more suitable locations than Salthill during the summer.

I can't imagine begin beside the sea is a must for the event.

It's unfair to clog up the prom during the summer months which is largely dependent on tourists and family visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The noise, the traffic, the taking over of the whole city and the lack of respect shown. Its not personal to modified car users, the issue would be the same no matter what it was that was drawing such a vulgar, loud and disrespectful mob every single Sunday whose sole purpose is to clog up a city. It’s not that hard to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Revving engines much like not picking up dogshit should be policed if it's an issue. You don't see people calling for dogs to be banned on the prom when there's a few bits of **** left over after the weekend though

People regularly call for dogs to banned from the Prom for exactly this reason. And individuals acting poorly is not the same as people doing it at an organised event.

FWIW I think people who don't clean up after their dogs should have their noses in it.

It's part of it. Multiple issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

Read through just now and there seems to be an equal amount of 'ah sure they're just letting off steam after lockdown' / 'they're entitled to use the roads' etc. as there is 'they're dangerous' / 'ant-social behaviour' posts.

I'm somewhere in between, I think the ridiculous exhausts are a complete noise nuisance and I don't actually concur that their intentions are good / genuine.
    It's not simply a 'cruise' to show off the cars they modified or park up somewhere and check out each other's cars and take videos/photos for instagram/fb etc it seems to be more a show off affair, wheelspinning and revving engines like bellends, driving around the city attention seeking and the lads hanging out the window photo posted earlier is a good example, although of course they might be an exception but I sincerely doubt it.

Yes they're entiled to drive where they want to on public roads but if they are going to collectively be a nuisance and act like d**kheads then they need to be dealt with by the police and warned that if they are making a nuisance of themselves and/or engaged in anti-social behaviour or speeding etc etc that it will be clamped down on.

I tend to concur with the Councillor:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1396457263599075336/photo/1

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    To be fair, there are more suitable locations than Salthill during the summer.

I can't imagine begin beside the sea is a must for the event.

It's unfair to clog up the prom during the summer months which is largely dependent on tourists and family visits.

Such as?

I can't imagine being beside the sea is a must for anyone, tourist, family or not - to use the same logic. I'm sure there was plenty money spent on take away booze, food & other stuff by the attendees.

Now before I'm called out - I'm not condoning the actions of dickheads, catcalling and being heavily anti social is dickhead stuff - those people are dickheads regardless, and that was not 100% of the people at it, by a long stretch.

Many of the cars at the event also carried offensive stickers and such too that probably shouldn't be exposed to young kids - But there's just a very snooty kind of classist attitude from the naysayers to the whole thing - look how the attendees have been described on this thread for example.

This type of carry on... (Scroll down to second video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/daraghs0/status/1396451448825786369

Such as?

I can't imagine being beside the sea is a must for anyone, tourist, family or not - to use the same logic. I'm sure there was plenty money spent on take away booze, food & other stuff by the attendees.

Now before I'm called out - I'm not condoning the actions of dickheads, catcalling and being heavily anti social is dickhead stuff - those people are dickheads regardless, and that was not 100% of the people at it, by a long stretch.

Many of the cars at the event also carried offensive stickers and such too that probably shouldn't be exposed to young kids - But there's just a very snooty kind of classist attitude from the naysayers to the whole thing - look how the attendees have been described on this thread for example.

The reason families go to the beach is because it's at the sea. The reason people go there to swim is because of the sea. The reason people walk the prom is because it's beside the sea.

The point being, I don't think the meet is dependent on it being in Salthill. The cars can drive up and down the road elsewhere without crippling a tourist hot spot like Salthill.

Not saying they're not entitled to be there, just that it would be more reasonable to host it elsewhere.

Redkite200 wrote: »

And that's one of the event organisers running over to get a snap of it.

The reason families go to the beach is because it's at the sea. The reason people go there to swim is because of the sea. The reason people walk the prom is because it's beside the sea.

The point being, I don't think the meet is dependent on it being in Salthill. The cars can drive up and down the road elsewhere without crippling a tourist hot spot like Salthill.

Not saying they're not entitled to be there, just that it would be more reasonable to host it elsewhere.

Maybe the car folk wanted to be at the sea? See, you kinda are saying that some people are more entitled to be there than others though...

Any suggestions of this elsewhere you speak of? or just a flat straight NIMBY?

• Advertisement

Maybe the car folk wanted to be at the sea? See, you kinda are saying that some people are more entitled to be there than others though...

Any suggestions of this elsewhere you speak of? or just a flat straight NIMBY?

Everyone is entitled to be there. But while there, treat the place with respect. That didn't happen yesterday.

Everyone is entitled to be there. But while there, treat the place with respect. That didn't happen yesterday.

so your issue is just with the noise and anti social incidents at it and not with the concept of them meeting up there?

Agreed, weed out the louts & dickheads with litter/seatbelt/public order charges and let her on.

Or in an ideal world:

Place should be pedestrianised for summer Sundays, either let them all in or let none in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

Redkite200 wrote: »

Is that it???

Odelay wrote: »
    Is that it???

Did you just read this page of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Threadbanned until Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They were abroad in pateen macs eating house plaza last night and riddled the place with rubbish.that’s the only issue I have.clean up yere sh1te and leave a place clean after ye.apart from that it’s great to see young people out and about living life and each to their own.
    We were all young once.

They were abroad in pateen macs eating house plaza last night and riddled the place with rubbish.that’s the only issue I have.clean up yere sh1te and leave a place clean after ye.apart from that it’s great to see young people out and about living life and each to their own.
    We were all young once.

I think some people are losing sight of what's an issue for most.

I'm sure some on here are just against them being in cars, or reving etc

But if they keep bringing the area to a standstill it's going to kill of businesses in the area as they're not spending any money and keeping people away.

If there was 20 or 30 turning up, by all means, let it go ahead.
    But it's got of control now and theres too many turning up now.

I saw them there a few weeks ago and there wasnt an amount that caused huge problems.
    Yesterday there was just too many.

People coming it to GAA matches is ludicrous, every single person who attends a match leaves their car and business booms.
    Yesterday I'd say barely any stepped out of their cars and are sucking any other revenues from being able to attend the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think some people are losing sight of what's an issue for most.

I'm sure some on here are just against them being in cars, or reving etc

But if they keep bringing the area to a standstill it's going to kill of businesses in the area as they're not spending any money and keeping people away.

If there was 20 or 30 turning up, by all means, let it go ahead.
    But it's got of control now and theres too many turning up now.

I saw them there a few weeks ago and there wasnt an amount that caused huge problems.
    Yesterday there was just too many.

People coming it to GAA matches is ludicrous, every single person who attends a match leaves their car and business booms.
    Yesterday I'd say barely any stepped out of their cars and are sucking any other revenues from being able to attend the area.

Ah ya but 'they're having the craic', 'enjoy the buzz' , some other nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Folks - drop the GAA, this thread is about boy racers.

Advertisement