Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I think some people are losing sight of what's an issue for most.

I'm sure some on here are just against them being in cars, or reving etc

But if they keep bringing the area to a standstill it's going to kill of businesses in the area as they're not spending any money and keeping people away.

If there was 20 or 30 turning up, by all means, let it go ahead.
    But it's got of control now and theres too many turning up now.

I saw them there a few weeks ago and there wasnt an amount that caused huge problems.
    Yesterday there was just too many.

People coming it to GAA matches is ludicrous, every single person who attends a match leaves their car and business booms.
    Yesterday I'd say barely any stepped out of their cars and are sucking any other revenues from being able to attend the area.

If only we could do something in Salthill to stop cars from taking over and make it more pedestrian friendly...

Oh yes that's right - the salthill businesses voted against it. You reap what you sow

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭French Toast

There's an event in Donegal called King of the Cone which coincides with the rally weekend. Basically a large concreted yard (I believe it may belong to a haulage company or fuel merchant?) which would otherwise be disused on the weekend is instead rented out to these lads to do a few donuts. Cover charge for cars and spectators. Great craic had by all and it's contained, controlled and off the roads.

Evidently there's an opportunity for something similar in the mid-West. Weekly could be overkill, maybe monthly. I suppose insurance would be incredibly difficult.

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    And that's one of the event organisers running over to get a snap of it.

Well spotted. Looks like the organisers are in on the ****housery also.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

so your issue is just with the noise and anti social incidents at it and not with the concept of them meeting up there?

I'd say the location isn't ideal this time of year but they're entitled to be there as much as anyone else.

The behaviour wasn't acceptable yesterday regardless of where the event is to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I think some people are losing sight of what's an issue for most.

I'm sure some on here are just against them being in cars, or reving etc

But if they keep bringing the area to a standstill it's going to kill of businesses in the area as they're not spending any money and keeping people away.

If there was 20 or 30 turning up, by all means, let it go ahead.
    But it's got of control now and theres too many turning up now.

I saw them there a few weeks ago and there wasnt an amount that caused huge problems.
    Yesterday there was just too many.

People coming it to GAA matches is ludicrous, every single person who attends a match leaves their car and business booms.
    Yesterday I'd say barely any stepped out of their cars and are sucking any other revenues from being able to attend the area.

The amount of sh1te they left after them yesterday and it’s fact they spent a fortune.

• Advertisement

Just a lovely bunch of lads out for a Sunday drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Should be lined up and shot, the lot of them, did they even stop to think of the children?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The amount of sh1te they left after them yesterday and it’s fact they spent a fortune.

Where? Certainly not in Salthill going by all other reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No need for the apostrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But how did Keeeth Finnegan feeeel about the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jesus lads from reading this thread there's clearly alot of sour auld ones about. Many of the comments seem directed at the people participating themselves, leaving me to believe it's more a spite against these young people enjoying themselves than any actual disruption caused. 'i don't like this activity' so I need it banned for everyone.

You can't bang on about leaving salthill and the likes open to car traffic yet condemn a type of car traffic you dislike.

No need for the apostrophe.

S'althill Sunday's.

Where? Certainly not in Salthill going by all other reports.

Plaza

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Jesus lads from reading this thread there's clearly alot of sour auld ones about. Many of the comments seem directed at the people participating themselves, leaving me to believe it's more a spite against these young people enjoying themselves than any actual disruption caused. 'i don't like this activity' so I need it banned for everyone.

You can't bang on about leaving salthill and the likes open to car traffic yet condemn a type of car traffic you dislike.

It wasn't traffic. It was an event. On a public road, where the participants rev car engines as a past time. Throw in the foul language, abusive behaviour and drinking and it's hardly the sort of group any locality would welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

This is standard greeting anytime me or my coworkers pass each other during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

JCX BXC wrote: »

Bit torn on this. I get the Boyz n Gurlz like their cars and want to show them off etc and maybe have an ould tour around. Its a pain in the hole for everyone else, but they pay their tax, insurance etc and have a right to drive and clog up the roads just like the rest of us.

But I don't understand why they need to rev the sh1te out of them though. I know its to make noise through the stupid big exhaust, but why? What is the point of making noise and blowing big clouds of black smoke out of your diesel Passat?

We had intended to go out to Barna woods with the Kids Sunday but gave up on that and went to the play ground beside the Cathedral instead on University Rd. The fcukin noise was absolutely unreal as they drove down towards the hospital from the Dyke Road and off out to Salthill on Newcastle rd. We had to stop talking at stages because you couldn't hear anything apart from cars and motorbikes blasting down the road.

I don't want to be clutching my perals and worrying about the children here, but they passed the front door of the hospital doing this sh1te. And then long after they had passed by us in the playground you could still hear them reving and blowing horns going out along Newcastle Rd. For the guts of the 2 hours we were there this was going on. Past peoples front doors and homes having to listen to this on a Sunday. And the same thing on the way back in. For most of the day. Would they do the same outside their own home? No because their ould fella would come out and give them a shoe in the hole. So why is it OK to do it outside other peoples homes. Or a hospital? Its hugely disrespectful to everybody else.

We also seen some of these twats leaning out the window and bellowing at women and girls walking on the foot path. Again whats that all about?

Its sh1te like this that is going to piss everyone off and lead to the uproar we have now. They have killed it off themselves by their own actions.

Its not about sour ould ones being spiteful. Its about them acting like entitled arseholes who don't care about everyone else. Don't give people a legitimate reason to be pissed off and you won't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Galway Airporr seems like the perfect place for them. €5 in at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Can’t see how there breaking any laws apart from adding to the traffic. They’ve paid tax and insurance, as much right to use the roads and car parks as the dry robes
    What about all the other people who had presumably paid their tax and insurance as well, yet couldn't exercise their right to use the roads, for hours on end?

This should be so blindingly obvious that it ought not have to be pointed out, but it seems it has to be. No-one has an unlimited right to use a limited resource. Nor are all competing claims on that resource equal.

Also, picking on the swimmers is seriously lame. There's rarely more than a few dozen at a time along the prom, and some of them don't even drive. And even where they do, well, it's a beach: Do you have a problem with people using such an amenity?

Keith Finnegan reading out texts:
    I was blocked from going to the hospital for hours, stuck in traffic
    They can use the airport
    Discrimination against 'boy racers' who are entitled to be in Salthill too
    I was parked in Dyke Rd and could not get out
    They were drinking Buckfast Keith
    Purpose of the car meets is for the community to get together
    Why are N-plate holders allowed to have modified cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Galway is a car-centric town. Local businesses and non local people living in the surrounding areas have vehemently opposed the reduction of parking and shunned improved pedestrian/cycle infrastructure in the city.

Judging by the carry on & the vulgar decals on the cars I’d say most of the drivers are not urban dwellers. Most likely rural lads from the surrounding areas targeting the city to be seen.

It’s unfortunate for locals. But massive car parks & pro car infrastructure is going to attract cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Galway a no go area for the summer , check.

Rumour: apparently there will be temporary speed humps installed on Upper Salthill entrances

zell12 wrote: »
    Rumour: apparently there will be temporary speed humps installed on Upper Salthill entrances
    I saw a modified car get beached on one once.
    That might be an effective deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

They re indeed all country dweller who want to be unique and stand out from each other so they all drvie the same felt spec cars. Whats that ???

(The below was stole from another car forumn)

=================================================================================================

Felt-Spec

Felt spec is said to have originated in and is named after the town Magherafelt in county Derry,Ireland,if you click on the Magherafelt wiki page you will see a 'felt spec golf in the town centre picture - brilliant!

'Felt spec is the art of badly modifying a VAG (VW Audi group) diesel car.

THE CARS OF FELT
    __________________________________________________ ______________

the most popular being Audi A4,VW Bora or passat and Seat toledo.It is not quite clear why the 'original 'felt spec'ers choose these cars to start with but it is probably down to the world beating performance of the TDI lump,lets examine some of the positives the 'felt spec'ers might have found appealing

- So much torque that the word torque was actually invented to describe this engine.

- Tow bar friendly,an essential 'felt spec accessory as most 'felters are farmers by day

- The ultimate Q car.

- Sits 4 farmers comfortably,or a family of 5 en route to GAA match,rally event or truck or bike show

- As we have found out this year neither the big freeze nor the big floods (i.e the lord himself) could stop this engine.

- large rear windscreen for macra na feirme sticker and local GAA club membership sticker,or that 3 ft by 3 ft VW/Audi decal just in case we were unaware.

- Le mans winning technology involved in the R&D of the mighty in 4 cyl lump.

- A simple re-map will make the car eligible for the BTCC

In the interest of fairness let's examine some of the negatives (yes i know even the great aren't perfect)

Probably the most imitated car on the road,you will no doubt see 10 other 'wanna be' TDI's with fake red badges on your daily commute.(but this will lend itself to a certain smugness factor knowing you are driving the real deal) Dual mass flywheels are an issue,but look at the torque figures! even mother earth gives tectonic plate trouble - you can't try and tap such power without consequences!

THE ART OF FELT
    __________________________________________________ _______________

So how does a novice identify a felt spec car you ask? well common 'felt spec attributes are as follows:

- over sized sun visors: the rule of 'felt states that the gap between the bottom of your sunvisor and the bottom of the windscreen should be equal to the distance between your wrist and your elbow.Some 'felters will also choose to incorporate a catchy slogan on their sun visor such as 'Drive her like yer late for mass' or 'driveher like its stolen'

- wind deflectors: wind deflectors are a must on a 'felt spec car.The rule of 'felt states "he who tries to smoke a fag while crusing with 320 ft lbs of torque under the bonnet will get burnt"

- Yellow rear reg plates: one of the most identifiable traits of a 'felt spec car even amongst their southern 'brothers in VAG',the most popular county for this is Donegal which believe it or not has more Yellow plates per head of population that London.

- Lowered suspension: The more affluent 'felter will splash out on coilovers,but everyone this side of cloughjordan knows thats just crazy,take the springs out and cut them.The rule of 'felt states "thou shall not be able to see the tops of your tyres"

-Mud Flaps: Originally thought to have been an essential modification due to the farm based lifestyle of the original 'felters but now the first purchase any aspiring 'feltee should make,ditch the factroy flaps and and add scania flaps,the rule of 'felt states "Your flaps should be at all times in contact with the ground and that your tyres should last longer than your mudflaps)

-The 18" replica wheel:This is what sets the 'felter apart from the crowd,the choice of wheel is crucial in determining your status on the 'felt ladder of whack-ness,the popular choices have always been RS6 or A8 wheels (known amongst 'felters as an RS8 wheel,as apparently they are so close to the Audi inner circle that Audi let them see that holy grail of cars the Audi RS8 ). The more daring 'felt sec enthusiasts will fit a bolder wheel choice though and emerging favourites are new shape RS4 and S8 rims.Recently there has been a stunning development in the rim choice of 'felters with Merc rims appearing on VAG cars,this is a kin to Ian paisley attending an ulster final!

- The body kit: No one knows the name,some say it is a quattro kit,some say it is an Rs4 kit,whatever the name the bodykit is essential in a 'felters arsenal especially if they are driving an A4,the rule of 'felt states "thou bodykit shall be fibre glass,thou grilles should be chicken wire and one exhaust tip should always be fake and for show"

- Badge: The 'felter is only as big as his badge and the better the badge the bigger the micky,If you have an A4 you must stick on either an S4 badge,or an RS4 badge.The biggest offenders here are drivers of B6 A4's again here we see links between 'felt spec enthusiasts and the Audi inner circle as they and they alone were made aware of a B6 RS4.If you drive a golf then a GT badge is a must,there aint no party like a GT TDI party.

THE TALK OF FELT
    __________________________________________________ _______________

'Felters have their own language and to the outsider it can appear they are talking gobbledygook,here we go through some common 'felt spec phrases:

Lad - A person i.e you,usage: "That is some car lad" - The rule of 'felt states you should always try to finish a sentence with Lad

Lift- The application of Torque,said to arise from the way the arse of the car dips and the bonnet rises when the shoe is put it in,usage: "There is some lift out of her Lad"

Antichrist- A word use to describe a particularly fast 'felt spec machine,one which has been remapped,lowered and perhaps fitted with an induction kit,usage "There is some lift out of her lad,she's an Antichrist to go"

=====================================================================================

There you have it,i hope this article was able to answer all the questions you were always afraid to ask about 'felt spec and what is it

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

It wasn't traffic. It was an event. On a public road, where the participants rev car engines as a past time. Throw in the foul language, abusive behaviour and drinking and it's hardly the sort of group any locality would welcome.
    This goes right to the heart of the matter. If the organisers had to get permission (and they surely should have to), then there is no way this would have been allowed. Compared to all the other types of events mentioned (matches, concerts, air shows), the amount and severity of disruption to traffic and normal life and business was massively out of proportion to the number of people participating, and absolutely unacceptable in absolute terms. That's without even considering the various anti-social aspects which were seemingly integral to the event. Benefits to Salthill/Galway that could possibly offset this? None that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

If people think this is bad, wait until the pubs open up properly. It'll be similiar to middle age people's rag week.

Also the car scene has gotten really bad. I remember going to car shows back in 2007 (Japfest and the Limerick racecourse one) for a few years onwards. These cars would have be ridiculed.
    The day of Skylines, Evos, Chasers, Rx7 and Supras, meeting seem long gone dispute these cars still existing.

Makes you wonder where all the glanzas and gt starlets went.
    Did they all get baled in Galway metal.haven’t seen one in years.there was a time and you couldn’t leave the house without tripping over one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

What is the insurance position with these racers? I believe that as soon a car is modified in any way the insurance company has to be informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Mearings wrote: »
    What is the insurance position with these racers? I believe that as soon a car is modified in any way the insurance company has to be informed.

Insurance companies will cover modified cars. I've a heavily tuned Supra insured with AXA with a 5k km limit. It is cheaper to insure than my 181 Jag XJ which is completely standard except for a remap.

Since I pay nearly 5 times more tax on the Supra than the Jag, I will drive it where I want when I want. I won't ever be in Salthill with it as I have no interest in Golf's, but for people to think they can ban certain cars that are taxed, insured and NCT'd is ridiculous. Laws exist around excessive noise.

Let the Gardai hand out fines to anyone revving an excessively loud exhaust and take any cars that aren't taxed/insured/NCT'd.

Advertisement