Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think there was one car in Galway at the weekend as cool as a Supra.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I don't think there was one car in Galway at the weekend as cool as a Supra.

I went through the pics on their FB page. They had a grey Gtr and the previous week a Lambo was in the Headford Road retail park, but yeah generally the cars were pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

Surely the airport is the answer to this, keeps them out of the city and somewhere for them to have their meets.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Surely the airport is the answer to this, keeps them out of the city and somewhere for them to have their meets.

They'd happily take the airport but they won't be given the place.

What happens when the meet is over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

What happens when the meet is over?

They go on to live their lives happily booing down the road obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

micah537 wrote: »
    They'd happily take the airport but they won't be given the place.

That's true. A couple of vintage clubs tried to use it before and they wouldn't let them.

Statement from the organisers from here
    Late but here are the photos from our Infamous meet from our 4th Salthill Sunday.

Ladies & Gentlemen you have made it bigger and better than the last without any messing.

Quick message regarding the comments and hate we have been getting.

We will not be responding to mean and hateful comments, ye have put us down but believe us when we say it, You have motivated us to make a change.

We will not be stopping our Meets/Events until we get what we all car enthusiasts want,
    Which is a Venue that will accommodate us all without your pettiness and complaints.

We are working hard to secure us a location to host our Meets and for us to enjoy our time.

Anyone that would like to get in contact with us to help organise a location PM us

As to what the radio stations are saying, we will not be commenting about that.

Regarding the encouraging and kind messages, Thank you, really and truly ,Thank you.

We are reading them all kind messages and for that we are grateful.
    Don’t to forget to have your cars clean for this Sunday!
    From the guys at Salthill Sunday's
    Keep updated with us by following our
    Snapchat, Tik Tok & Instagram Pages!
    Salthill Sunday's

Highlighted a section which, for all intents and purposes, sounds like a threat/blackmail to me, but maybe I'm wrong, what do others think?

Anyway, the next meet is set for this Sunday.

I know where I won't be going for a cycle this Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Highlighted a section which, for all intents and purposes, sounds like a threat/blackmail to me, but maybe I'm wrong, what do others think?

Car culture is a big thing in this country, its mad that there isn't more facilities to cater for this. A lot of money to be made too. They're within their rights to cruise along salthill and clog up the roads though.

Should build a proper racetrack in the Greater Dublin Area. Call it the Naas-burgring

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Why are they targeting Salthill as opposed to Headford or Ballinasloe?

I foresee some Public Order units popping down this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Why do tinted-window enthusiasts prefer to rev engines at a salthill standstill instead of something like an open road or coastal drive. The more popular this gets the more diminishing their returns will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

It sounds like they really don't give a damn, do they? Not even the remotest hint of empathy or contrition for having completely wrecked last Sunday for many thousands of people? Worse than that, they seem defiantly and aggressively proud of the fact.

And yes, it's plainly a threat. They want to be rewarded for their loutish behaviour. Entitlement culture doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

klr87 wrote: »
    It sounds like they really don't give a damn, do they? Not even the remotest hint of empathy or contrition for having completely wrecked last Sunday for many thousands of people? Worse than that, they seem defiantly and aggressively proud of the fact.

And yes, it's plainly a threat. They want to be rewarded for their loutish behaviour. Entitlement culture doesn't even begin to describe it.

Entitlement indeed, you seem to think you're a lot more entitled to be on the prom than someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

dmakc wrote: »
    Why do tinted-window enthusiasts prefer to rev engines at a salthill standstill instead of something like an open road or coastal drive. The more popular this gets the more diminishing their returns will be.

Because they're idiots?

A statement of support from "Galway Car Culture" from here

Well, maybe not a "statement" so much as word vomit, anyway, enjoy
    Please Share Around
    I want all of Galway to see this

Just want to make a post in relation to Salthill Sunday's. I just want anyone who has an opinion on the matter to read this and see what they think before commenting or passing blame to anyone.

In Galway, for the past few years, the car community has gotten a lot of hassle from the public. There have been stages where certain people, not even trouble makers, couldn't drive there car into Galway because certain member of the Guards would target them. This wasn't a situation of people messing, making noise, speeding or anything this was certain Guards and if you are aware of who they are you know who I am talking about, would single out every car that was modified just to do them although they weren't even causing hassle.

In the past 2.5/3 years, the car community in Galway was getting more traction and we were kind of fighting back, not causing hassle but having our meets, doing up our cars to the way we wanted them to be, making Facebook pages, Instagrams, snapchats getting a following and doing what we love to make us happy.

Most of time, they were great, but as always 2 things ruined it. Bad eggs ruining the craic for everyone by always taking things that one step too far. We don't want people acting the fool at meets, they draw attention of guards, local residence, Galway Bay FM, the local news outlets and get us all painted as public nuisances and hooligans to the public. It was happening almost every single time, but nobody ever got hurt, nobody died, there was no reason for this public out-cry that 'boy racers' (which by the way most of us hate that term so don't use it) were terrible people.

The other thing that ruined was the Guards. Now don't get me wrong, I have great respect for law enforcement in Ireland. Theres gonna be one day that you will need it, and it will be there. But how come I rock up in either The Galway Shopping Centre by Tesco or The Galway Retail Park by McDonalds, meet 2 maybe 3 of our friends in there and within 20 mins there would be guards questioning us, looking at my car or my friends car (that are more than likely off and parked) and ask us to leave Galway City. I'm parked, eating food, talking to a friend, what hassle am I causing on anyone? Just leave us be. But also, how come every time you arrive at a meet thats when all hell breaks loose. You intimidate us until we leave Galway and it is not fair.

I have tried to make contact with the council before which I also have a post up about, did I hear any reply? No. I never did. All I got was a receipt of acknowledgement for my email. Cheers, Thanks for that. Thats why I more or less gave this up after a while. I was trying to make things different in Galway but with no cooperation from the side I am trying to work with, how am I to anything?

The guys at Salthill Sunday's had a fantastic idea. They were inspired from the people in Northern Ireland, with their idea for Port Sunday's. I heard it first and I really really liked the idea. I thought that this was it now, something we could do that wouldn't cause much fuss, make something of our weekend. The first 2 weekends, I couldn't attend but they looked like they were good fun, no hassle on anyone just cars being drove around salthill, getting their pictures taken. That was ideally what I would've loved to have seen for the car scene in Galway. But you've to think this was an amateur organised event, which is completely fine and allowed but it wasn't always going to be planned perfectly.

There was going to be problems which there was and we have all seen.
    The weekend we have just seen, was probably my biggest let down from the city of Galway, we have had severe problems with our traffic for years, the only way to go from one side of the city to another is through the town. Now, I will say here and now, Salthill Sunday's did cause a lot of extra traffic in Galway on Sunday, understandably it was a big event. But how can you as news outlets, politicians, members of the council, go on Facebook and any other social media platform and blame it all on this event. Wasnt Galway supposed to be "European Capital of Culture 2020"? Last year weren't we supposed to be having loads of events, celebrating all aspects of the culture and differences that exist in our city? How were we gonna deal with that with so many people travelling to come see this if we can't handle something involving a couple of hundred cars? That seems to me like you've played yourself. How come it takes over an hour and a half to drive from Loughrea to Parkmore, Monday to Friday, every morning, when you are driving from the east of the county to one of the most easterly points in the city? Biggest cop out of an excuse ever.

Now, on behalf of the car community I want to apologise to the man that we all heard of on the radio that had to get an air ambulance to the hospital as the traffic was too bad. To that one man, that one person who's life couldve been affected by this, I'd like to say we are all very sorry and hope that this man we don't know is doing okay.

But he is the only person who deserves an apology. If you live on the outskirts of town near Bothar na dTreabh and were affected by noise, I'm sorry but what did you expect? You live beside a dual carriageway.

If you live in Salthill, you live in one of the biggest tourist attractions in our city, every Galway match day at Pearse Satdium I can almost guarantee the traffic is worse. Give over, just because you don't like cars just ignore it.
    My thing about this is we need help, big help, we need to reach out and need people to reach out to us. We need ideas, we need correspondence from the council and communities. I seen a lady tell us to stay where we are from because we are not wanted in Sathill and told us to stay in our towns and at home. Sorry but like we have been doing that for almost a year and a half do you really think we haven't stayed at home enough.

So I'm leaving this post as an avenue for people to help and reach out and contact us with your ideas. Anyone from the council or any politicians or organisations that want to help the car scene in Galway please contact our email GalwayCarCulture@gmail.com and any individuals who have any ideas or want to get involved message the page.

I'm open for any ideas, Connemara Cruises, Beach Meets, Car meets, ANYTHING. But I need to know that we aren't going to getting in trouble for anything. We aren't gonna be blacklisted in Galway.

So please, anyone who has read this far, please like and share and tag this post and get it as much traction and make us proud of what we want.

Entitlement indeed, you seem to think you're a lot more entitled to be on the prom than someone else.
    I have the exact same entitlement as anyone else - and likewise, the same responsibility to use that in a way that does not unreasonably infringe on the entitlement of others,

BTW, I don't drive. However, that does not mean I wasn't affected directly affected by what happened last Sunday, and not just on the Promenade. I'd like to have gone for a walk in the countryside to the north and west of Salthiill, but it would have been too dangerous, as some of the racers were on those roads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

A boy racer wrote off my car in a head-on collision back in December, I came around a blind bend on a narrow road and there he was trying to take a racing line on the wrong side of the road. One second later and I would have been dead. I cannot understand how insurance companies will insure a 20 year old in a type R integra. A car like that in a 20 year old's hands is a weapon and a 20 year old in a car like that is a fu*king eejit. I have zero sympathy for these lads, there are plenty of risky pastimes that don't endanger other road users if you're looking for a thrill.

I have the exact same entitlement as anyone else - and likewise, the same responsibility to use that in a way that does not unreasonably infringe on the entitlement of others,

BTW, I don't drive. However, that does not mean I wasn't affected directly affected by what happened last Sunday, and not just on the Promenade. I'd like to have gone for a walk in the countryside to the north and west of Salthiill, but it would have been too dangerous, as some of the racers were on those roads as well.
    xxyyzz wrote: »
    A boy racer wrote off my car in a head-on collision back in December, I came around a blind bend on a narrow road and there he was trying to take a racing line on the wrong side of the road. One second later and I would have been dead. I cannot understand how insurance companies will insure a 20 year old in type R integra. A car like that in a 20 year old's hands is a weapon and a 20 year old in a car like that is a fu*king eejit. I have zero sympathy for these lads, there are plenty of risky pasttimes that don't endanger other road users if you're looking for a thrill.

So, in order to complain about *checks notes* - slow moving traffic blocking the prom last sunday - you two have brought up 'dangerous racers' and an unrelated crash on some narrow road? was dangerous racing part of sundays problem? Was this narrow road the salthill prom or nearby roads last sunday?

You are both shrieking out absolute balderdash because you don't like modified cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You're 100% right. The cheek of those people, thinking they're entitled to a nice walk by the seaside, when you have a massive exhaust on your car that absolutely needs to be revved to the max for 4 hours and shown off to its full potential. That's your right!

And as for those food businesses, trying to survive the pandemic by delivering food to their customers before it goes cold, for feck sake... what right have they to be complaining when you have as much right to deliberately organise a traffic jam? Eh!

It's disgusting aright, how entitled those people are! Disgusting!

Zzippy wrote: »
    You're 100% right. The cheek of those people, thinking they're entitled to a nice walk by the seaside, when you have a massive exhaust on your car that absolutely needs to be revved to the max for 4 hours and shown off to its full potential. That's your right!

And as for those food businesses, trying to survive the pandemic by delivering food to their customers before it goes cold, for feck sake... what right have they to be complaining when you have as much right to deliberately organise a traffic jam? Eh!

It's disgusting aright, how entitled those people are! Disgusting!

So... you do believe some are more entitled to the use of public spaces than others, that's fair enough and your right.

I presume you will direct the same Ire at the GAA the next time there's a big match on, and at all those damn pesky international tourists when they get back here, ****, using a public space.

• Advertisement

So, in order to complain about *checks notes* - slow moving traffic blocking the prom last sunday - you two have brought up 'dangerous racers' and an unrelated crash on some narrow road? was dangerous racing part of sundays problem? Was this narrow road the salthill prom or nearby roads last sunday?

You are both shrieking out absolute balderdash because you don't like modified cars.
    Hyperbole much? I've no problem with them at all. It's what people do with them is the problem. I've frequently gone to the annual vintage car displays by the Spanish Arch, and the displays of high-end sports cars on the Prom. All well-regulated and well-run events.

Nor was I referring to any specific crash from last Sunday - never mentioned it - but to what several people who live in the countryside told me, about what they saw (and heard) in their localities during last Sunday afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Maybe GalwayCarCulture may look towards his 30+ compatriots a couple of weeks back who thought it is acceptable to create a huge ruckus, drive dangerously on both sides of the road, blacken carparks & cause general havoc at midnight at our local village just outside Galway a few weeks back for some answers to their questions.

Hyperbole much? I've no problem with them at all. It's what people do with them is the problem. I've frequently gone to the annual vintage car displays by the Spanish Arch, and the displays of high-end sports cars on the Prom. All well-regulated and well-run events.

Nor was I referring to any specific crash from last Sunday - never mentioned it - but to what several people who live in the countryside told me, about what they saw (and heard) in their localities during last Sunday afternoon and evening.

Are you sure?

so what is your beef with last sunday then? if you have no beef with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

So... you do believe some are more entitled to the use of public spaces than others, that's fair enough and your right.

I presume you will direct the same Ire at the GAA the next time there's a big match on, and at all those damn pesky international tourists when they get back here, ****, using a public space.

Ah yes people drinking, hanging from windows, revving engines non stop for hours, screaming at people walking by, and urinating in public is really the same as people leaving a GAA match that they’ve paid to go and see and has been organized with Gardai involved sorting traffic.

Ah yes people drinking, hanging from windows, revving engines non stop for hours, screaming at people walking by, and urinating in public is really the same as people leaving a GAA match that they’ve paid to go and see and has been organized with Gardai involved sorting traffic.

ehh...... You can be damn sure of most of that on a big enough match day, and don't forget to add - aggressive excessive flag waving and aggressive horn beeping too. What does them giving money to the GAA have to do with it, does that add extra entitlement to the use of public roads or something?

sorting traffic indeed.... have you ever tried to go down the prom on a county final day for example?

ehh...... You can be damn sure of most of that on a big enough match day, and don't forget to add - aggressive excessive flag waving and aggressive horn beeping too. What does them giving money to the GAA have to do with it, does that add extra entitlement to the use of public roads or something?

sorting traffic indeed.... have you ever tried to go down the prom on a county final day for example?

Aggressive flag waving I’ve heard it all hahahahahhahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The GAA matches cause traffic congestion. But the GAA aren't organising an inter-county championship match for every Sunday for the summer. They also work with security companies, and pay the Gardai for policing. They have incident management plans, safety statements. They don't threaten to block up traffic every Sunday unless they're given a venue. They fund raised and bought venues all over the country to accommodate their games. They lease venues from local authorities.

You see, rights are not absolute, they also come with responsibilities. If exercising your rights infringes on the rights of others, and you can't see that, or don't give a ****, well don't expect any sympathy when your rights are taken away.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

Maybe start a new thread about GAA matchgoers and the associated issues they cause then seeing as you're obviously quite perturbed by the issue?

This thread relates to the noise nuisance and related antisocial behaviour by 'boy racers' in the City (and surrounding areas).

Aggressive flag waving I’ve heard it all hahahahahhahaha.

so have I :pac:

• Advertisement

so have I :pac:

Are you trying to say it’s not happening?

Advertisement