Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone else have little pity for some of the traders there after they opposed the trial bike lanes?

I mean, you set the place up as a mecca for cars, don't be surprised when it becomes a mecca for car enthusiasts

A tongue in cheek question from DaCor? :D You know well if they'd done their research, listened to the lobbyists, the statisticians & the experts they'd have realised there'd be more money in the till if the bike lanes had gone ahead.

The modified car owners have made their point, but the rapey & misogynistic decals, the littering & public displays of general disrespect have them shot. They might get away with that wherever they came from, but it's not acceptable in an urban environment, and certainly not in a tourist area.
    Their next outing to Salthill will be met with a serious Garda presence and tow trucks. Wipers will be timed!!

No other cars & coffee/kit-car/Japcar/vintage car style meet-ups will want anything to do with them. Who in their right mind would give them their "space" they demand after that sh*tshow.

"dad, what's a fanny smasher?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

John_Rambo wrote: »
    A tongue in cheek question from DaCor? :D You know well if they'd done their research, listened to the lobbyists, the statisticians & the experts they'd have realised there'd be more money in the till if the bike lanes had gone ahead.

The modified car owners have made their point, but the rapey & misogynistic decals, the littering & public displays of general disrespect have them shot. They might get away with that wherever they came from, but it's not acceptable in an urban environment, and certainly not in a tourist area.
    Their next outing to Salthill will be met with a serious Garda presence and tow trucks. Wipers will be timed!!

No other cars & coffee/kit-car/Japcar/vintage car style meet-ups will want anything to do with them. Who in their right mind would give them their "space" they demand after that sh*tshow.

The Garda themselves admitted they can do nothing if all cars are legal and roadworthy they can't lift them for fun, they have the same rights as us to drive on the road . If they come and want to drive into the City they are breaking no law because there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I presume you will direct the same Ire at the GAA the next time there's a big match on, and at all those damn pesky international tourists when they get back here, ****, using a public space.

GAA matchgoers and tourists contribute to the local economy, what does this crowd contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

GAA matchgoers and tourists contribute to the local economy, what does this crowd contribute?

They seem to think that they bring huge business to filling stations and food spots.

Somehow I think they’ll survive without them.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The Garda themselves admitted they can do nothing if all cars are legal and roadworthy they can't lift them for fun, they have the same rights as us to drive on the road . If they come and want to drive into the City they are breaking no law because there is none.

That's just it.

In their act to ensure unrestricted access for cars above all else, Salthills only solution now rests with removing all access for cars along the prom.

I welcome other suggestions, but that's the only option as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

What I wonder, though…

Do these guys get that because they’re clogging up the only road in/out on the way to Salthill, they’re effectively closing Connemara to outside visitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What I wonder, though…
    Do these guys get that because they’re clogging up the only road in/out on the way to Salthill, they’re effectively closing Connemara to outside visitors?
    They're entitled to!
    Besides it's everybody else clogging up the roads on their way to Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I'm sure they eat anyway, presumably like every other human being. Not sure what extra contribution match goers could make over them tbh :confused:

Kinda seems like a silly argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

I'm sure they eat anyway, presumably like every other human being. Not sure what extra contribution match goers could make over them tbh :confused:

Kinda seems like a silly argument...

Getting hot chicken roll or going to mc Donald's for the euro saver menu isn't spending a lot.....

On match days you have those folk getting food and drink from restaurants and pubs, along with what ever they spend at the stadium.

Very different.

Also these folk can go and organize something with mondello park.... A venue for their purpose.....
    Oh wait they can't afford it probably

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

That's just it.

In their act to ensure unrestricted access for cars above all else, Salthills only solution now rests with removing all access for cars along the prom.

I welcome other suggestions, but that's the only option as far as I can see.

That's NOT very radical; how about get the Minister for Transport to enanct a NEW law , get the RSA to revoke all drivers licences for those under 30 and raise the age to get a drivers licence to 30+ apart for electric scooters & mopeds.
    Salthill traders might not be happy with that loss of income but sure look it.... :D

• Advertisement

Laviski wrote: »
    Getting hot chicken roll or going to mc Donald's for the euro saver menu isn't spending a lot.....

On match days you have those folk getting food and drink from restaurants and pubs, along with what ever they spend at the stadium.

Very different.

Also these folk can go and organize something with mondello park.... A venue for their purpose.....
    Oh wait they can't afford it probably

Ok so buying chicken rolls and going to mcdonalds isnt spending a lot but if matchgoers do it it is?

Would you go and feck off with this ridiculous nonsense, why can't any of ye just straight out say what your issue is and stop hiding it behind nonsensical arguments about one man's food dime being worth more than another man's food dime.

Throw in an insult about these people being poor? wtf is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

We were chatting to a guard there the Sunday before last. They were expecting 1000 cars there.

He said “what kinda moron gets into his car in Kerry or Donegal drives for 3 hours just to sit in a car park for 20 min, then drive the whole way back home”

The heads on some of them lol.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    We were chatting to a guard there the Sunday before last. They were expecting 1000 cars there.

He said “what kinda moron gets into his car in Kerry or Donegal drives for 3 hours just to sit in a car park for 20 min, then drive the whole way back home”

The heads on some of them lol.

"What kind of moron would drive 3 hours to watch grown men chase a leather bag of wind around a field for an hour then drive all the way back home"

"What kind of moron would drive 3 hours to watch horses run around a field then drive home"

"What kind of moron would get on a bicycle and cycle it for 3 hours just to end up back at home"

"What kind of moron would drive to a beach just to drive home afterwards"

Ok so buying chicken rolls and going to mcdonalds isnt spending a lot but if matchgoers do it it is?

Would you go and feck off with this ridiculous nonsense, why can't any of ye just straight out say what your issue is and stop hiding it behind nonsensical arguments about one man's food dime being worth more than another man's food dime.

I didn't say they were poor, people spend according to their budget.
    Sure if money wasn't an issue why cant they organize a day at mondello motor park. Same reason why galway airport won't be a runner, simple won't pay for management, security and importantly insurance for such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Every post is an attempt at deflection and a deliberate ignoring of the points being made. In this case it's very obvious that this crowd aren't contributing to the local economy on the area they are deliberately blocking. You are saying that GAA fans do the same. They simply don't, they don't deliberately block Salthill to all other users, they don't cause the same level of anti social behaviour as this crowd. They DO contribute to the local Salthill economy through eating, drinking, staying over and using the shops and businesses in Salthill.

Why the focus on the economics in this thread?

Salthill is one of the wealthiest village's West of the Shannon, probably wealthiest suburb of the City. One cannot buy a house there at the minute for less than half a million euro's. It will do very well economically this summer.

Do local business in Salthill need more support than the area's these modified car users come from?
    Are the interests of the local business more important than the residents of Salthill and surrounding areas?

Salthill is one of the wealthiest village's West of the Shannon, probably wealthiest suburb of the City. One cannot buy a house there at the minute for less than half a million euro's. It will do very well economically this summer.

Do local business in Salthill need more support than the area's these modified car users come from?
    Are the interests of the local business more important than the residents of Salthill and surrounding areas?

The focus on economics is because the good folk cannot admit what their real issue is - that they just don't want 'those types around here' - it would be a lot more valid than trying to bring in ridiculous nonsensical arguments around who eats what and where they buy it from.

I wouldn't be caught dead at an event like this myself, but I'll defend one persons right to use a public space as much as the next persons - especially when most of the bile is coming from a place of snobbery and classism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its simply one point being made to show how these people are causing damage to the locality. Outside of their anti social behaviour. Their prime defender on here has an answer for everything and is excellent at deflection. That's the reason it's constantly being brought up by different posters.

The focus on economics is because the good folk cannot admit what their real issue is - that they just don't want 'those types around here' - it would be a lot more valid than trying to bring in ridiculous nonsensical arguments around who eats what and where they buy it from.

I wouldn't be caught dead at an event like this myself, but I'll defend one persons right to use a public space as much as the next persons - especially when most of the bile is coming from a place of snobbery and classism.

Salthill was family friendly, with all the videos of these folk in their cars are prime example why it is no longer the case every Sunday. Young children, pets and elderly all affected by their actions. Not to mention if an ambulance, fire truck needs to get through..... Complete selfish xxxxx for doing this every week.

If this was a monthly event, I could stomach it but by their recent posts of demands and doing this weekly is a middle finger to all those that want to go to salthill along with the businesses trying to make a living.

Its simply one point being made to show how these people are causing damage to the locality. Outside of their anti social behaviour. Their prime defender on here has an answer for everything and is excellent at deflection. That's the reason it's constantly being brought up by different posters.

It's a nonsensical point, given the locality and it's fondness for traffic and large crowds.

You should look up what deflection is, because pointing out that ridiculous arguments are ridiculous is not deflection.

The reason it's constantly being brought up is as per my previous post - it is being used in attempt to add legitimacy to an argument that's actually based on feeling/perception - which would be fine if those posters would just say that.

In reality, these posters are just using these points to add weight to their own viewpoint, while not allowing it to be used in response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tyre retailers?
    Judging by the quantity of rubber they leave after them.

Salthill was family friendly, with all the videos of these folk in their cars are prime example why it is no longer the case every Sunday. Young children, pets and elderly all affected by their actions.

Hmmm is it really, I don't think it has been for a very long time. Its one giant car park most weekends in the summer with or without modified car users.

Hmmm is it really, I don't think it has been for a very long time. Its one giant car park most weekends in the summer with or without modified car users.

That’s why hundreds of families come to holiday every summer there no? Don’t be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

John_Rambo wrote: »

Fanny is American for bottom, darling.

People have gotten quite used to having beauty spots and ameneties to themselves over the last year, as restrictions are easing and everyone is getting back out there - they don't anymore - and is causing quite a bit of tribalism.

That’s why hundreds of families come to holiday every summer there no? Don’t be ridiculous.

Yes they do - but that still does NOT make it family friendly.

giant car park or not. at least it was moving. But at least children didn't need parents holding their ears, or dogs running away from owners as a result of the stationary cars revving their engines with modified exhausts or for some a hole in one or burning their tyres.... could go on with the jeering and so forth.

Yes they do - but that still does NOT make it family friendly.

What’s your requirements for a place to be family friendly so

giant car park or not. at least it was moving.
    So a giant park in your book is a family friendly place. I don't really get that mentality.
    The Salthill promenade I remember from my youth in the 1980's was a far more "family friendly" place than now, but I am sure somebody who knew what it was like in the 1960's would have probably said the same.

• Advertisement

So a giant park in your book is a family friendly place. I don't really get that mentality.
    The Salthill promenade I remember from my youth in the 1980's was a far more "family friendly" place than now, but I am sure somebody who knew what it was like in the 1960's would have probably said the same.

there is a playground, there is park (by salthill hotel), another large green space (front of lesiureland), a very wide pavement by sea front, sea , sand, diving tower..... etc etc etc.

happy to get there by car cause there are no alternatives, like many other families.

Advertisement