Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

That’s why hundreds of families come to holiday every summer there no? Don’t be ridiculous.

Do people really come to holiday in Salthill?? There’s a lot of rose tinted glasses being worn in this thread I think. In the 60’s- 80’s it was a top tourist destination. What does it offer now? A couple of small beaches which quickly become overcrowded? A beautiful prom walkway where the view is matched by diesel fumes and engine noise? A lovely spot to abandon a car for free during the day?

There is no night life in Salthill ( imagine if a nightclub tried to reopen out there) there are coffee shops, slot machines and bingo! It is an active retirement village, nothing more.

As has been said here previously, the businesses did their best to prevent cycle lanes being trialled, because they wanted cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

‘Salthill Sundays’ must be stopped from happening again, says Cllr Higgins
    “Salthill is not a suitable location for something like this,” she said. “No public road is suitable for this type of event. My fear is that ‘Salthill Sundays’ have been advertised throughout Ireland as an event taking place weekly. We have to have a deterrence plan in place to ensure this does not continue”
    Cllr Higgins said the situation is “contemptible”, saying Salthill was “essentially locked down”, resulting in “hours of tailbacks”.
    Businesses also suffered with restaurants reporting orders cancelled due to collections not being possible because of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

ratracer wrote: »
    Do people really come to holiday in Salthill?? There’s a lot of rose tinted glasses being worn in this thread I think. In the 60’s- 80’s it was a top tourist destination. What does it offer now? A couple of small beaches which quickly become overcrowded? A beautiful prom walkway where the view is matched by diesel fumes and engine noise? A lovely spot to abandon a car for free during the day?

There is no night life in Salthill ( imagine if a nightclub tried to reopen out there) there are coffee shops, slot machines and bingo! It is an active retirement village, nothing more.

As has been said here previously, the businesses did their best to prevent cycle lanes being trialled, because they wanted cars!

Of course families come to Salthill for holidays. Try getting a hotel room or somewhere to stay there during the summer it’s next to impossible.

You could say that about literally any town in Ireland. What does Dingle offer? A few beaches a few coffee shops.

So because businesses opposed cycle lanes they should be punished and have to put up with what goes on on Sunday? Have you actually seen what it was like? The behavior was disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The focus on economics is because the good folk cannot admit what their real issue is - that they just don't want 'those types around here' - it would be a lot more valid than trying to bring in ridiculous nonsensical arguments around who eats what and where they buy it from.

I wouldn't be caught dead at an event like this myself, but I'll defend one persons right to use a public space as much as the next persons - especially when most of the bile is coming from a place of snobbery and classism.
    My issue is the noise, behavior of a certain percentage of the people attending and the frequency they've decided to run it. And now it appears the organisers think there was no "messing" at last weeks event despite plenty of videos and reports of issues, and seem to be taking the approach of holding the area to ransom until their demands are met. That's the "type" of person I have no fondness for or desire to see "around here".

They've every right to use the public space but not however they want. I also think all those a-holes parking wherever they want on match days should have their cars crushed and half the race week crowd shouldn't be allowed anything harder than a glass of shandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Of course families come to Salthill for holidays. Try getting a hotel room or somewhere to stay there during the summer it’s next to impossible.

You could say that about literally any town in Ireland. What does Dingle offer? A few beaches a few coffee shops.

So because businesses opposed cycle lanes they should be punished and have to put up with what goes on on Sunday? Have you actually seen what it was like? The behavior was disgusting.

I've seen the pictures and videos, but as I said, there's nothing that would attract me to Salthill unless it was for business, so no, I wasn't there as an eyewitness!!

I don't agree with the tactic or behaviour of the boy racers btw, but if you design an area to cater specifically for cars, what do you expect to attract but cars?

ratracer wrote: »

Sure they do.
    Beach, playground, park.
    Coffee shops, restaurants, bars.
    Indoor activities nearby if necessary.
    Close to the city for a wander around.

It probably has more round the year appeal than lots of other places - locals keeping it lively outside of summer.

Sure there are no nightclubs but I doubt the target market care about that.

Fellas buying a snack box on the way home in Loughrea isn't much benefit to Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The Garda themselves admitted they can do nothing if all cars are legal and roadworthy they can't lift them for fun, they have the same rights as us to drive on the road . If they come and want to drive into the City they are breaking no law because there is none.

That's why I said "wipers will be timed".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

once a month max, no revving / burnouts / dangerous driving

garda presence to match the scale of event (prevents drinking in cars, shouting at people etc)

or find somewhere else happy to take them, and that's not a threat but why should they be told to just stay at home if they want to go out and meet each other and look at cars

Build a mecca for cars, it becomes a mecca for car enthusiasts, you get Salthill Sundays

Build a network of protected bike lanes, it becomes a destination for whole families, from toddlers with stabilisers to grandparents on trikes

As the movie said, if you build it, they will come. Well Salthill built a perfect spot for parading cars so the car enthusiasts are coming.

Salthill Village & GCC are literally reaping what they sowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭cr-07

Mayor Mike Cubbard has posted a response on Facebook:

“ Salthill Sunday's

I have to now remained silent on what occurred last Sunday as I tried to find a solution to the issues faced.

I have always been a solution based person and knew that many others would offer their opinions so adding mine to simply get air time earlier in the week would have served no purpose.

Just to inform you, I had regular email contact with the organisers of the event a number of weeks ago and agreed to meet with them to hear what they had planned in terms of an organised and controlled event.

I actually met a number of representatives from the car enthusiasts group a few months ago to try deal with issues for residents in Bohermore. They were to come back to me with some information I required but they never did.

The meeting I offered this past few weeks did not happen but my door remains open.

On seeing images from last Sunday, I immediately contacted the group to meet with me and asked they plan no further events until a conversation takes place with the Gardaí and the council.

This email was not responded to.

I now see on their social media that they plan to meet on Sunday and state they 'will do until they get what they want'

I cannot understand how they expect to get anywhere or 'what they want' if they won't sit around a table and tell us?!

As I say, I am and have been solution based. I realise there are plenty of people who are genuine car enthusiasts and not determined to upset residents. I am realistic and know the guards can't be on the motorway to turn away anyone who someone decides we don't want in the city.

This is why I remained silent to now as I tried to reach out. I tried to deal with the problem rather then just talk about it.

Therefore, this is an open call to anyone involved in these events. Get in touch with me and I will hear your plans and ideas and then work with all those who can make it possible in a way that does not bring Galway to a standstill again. The simplistic solution of just saying 'we don't want them' does not work. We need to tackle this head on and now.

If those organising want respect, I'd advise to show a level of maturity now and step up to the plate.

I have also been in contact with the Gardaí and hope to meet them on this soon.”

See here:
    https://www.facebook.com/100001859126265/posts/5596033350468580/?d=n

Solid response from Mike Cubbard, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well that sounds like the organisers have no interest in a solution. Blocking up Salthill is just a bit of craic for them. If they don't see it as a problem, why would they need a solution?

I would love to see a full Garda/Revenue/RSA checkpoint on Sunday. Divert all modified cars into the Leisureland car park for a full inspection, engines off, fine/impound all illegal mods and check insurance documents. Take your time lads, no rush to get them back on to the public road. Guarantee the word would go out quickly and you'd see a lot fewer arriving at the prom...

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭French Toast

I'm a petrol head and have been behind the organisers until I read the line "We will not be stopping until we get what we want."

Reeks of immaturity and entitlement. A solution is needed but the needless hostility will turn many against their cause.

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Zzippy wrote: »
    I would love to see a full Garda/Revenue/RSA checkpoint on Sunday. Divert all modified cars into the Leisureland car park for a full inspection, engines off, fine/impound all illegal mods and check insurance documents. Take your time lads, no rush to get them back on to the public road. Guarantee the word would go out quickly and you'd see a lot fewer arriving at the prom...
    Yep, some very basic enforcement of the traffic laws we already have....These public meet ups would die off very quick. Really down to the will power of the local Gardai at the end of the day..But they'll say not enough resources as the work to man it is a big expense. Comes down to money not what's right & should be done.
    Sometimes there is no talking to that 'one person that wants to act the prick' to ruin it for everyone else.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1BDI

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The Garda themselves admitted they can do nothing if all cars are legal and roadworthy they can't lift them for fun, they have the same rights as us to drive on the road . If they come and want to drive into the City they are breaking no law because there is none.

A quick glance at many of the cars at last Sundays "event" shows that they have illegal number plates, e.g. reg number in a font that speed cameras can't capture, yellow plates, plates not showing county or IRL. The Gardai could have a field day issuing fines for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Build a mecca for cars, it becomes a mecca for car enthusiasts, you get Salthill Sundays

Build a network of protected bike lanes, it becomes a destination for whole families, from toddlers with stabilisers to grandparents on trikes.

If Salthill had no car parking, a network of protected bike lanes, and a road that cars could drive along, then it would be an even better parade ground for lads who want to show off their cars.

Or are you suggesting to close the road to cars altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I'm a petrol head and have been behind the organisers until I read the line "We will not be stopping until we get what we want."

Reeks of immaturity and entitlement. A solution is needed but the needless hostility will turn many against their cause.

What's their cause?

Currently discussed on Newstalk

A thousand cars converging on Salthill Sunday says one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Zzippy wrote: »
    I would love to see a full Garda/Revenue/RSA checkpoint on Sunday.

If we could get a few speed camera vans in the right spots they'd issue enough fines and points to make it less attractive to come to Galway.

I know Salthill was brought to a standstill but there was plenty of speeding violations around residential roads and I think we can safely assume they're speeding coming in and out of the city too. Issuing points and driving up their insurance would be appropriate and effective.

1BDI wrote: »
    A quick glance at many of the cars at last Sundays "event" shows that they have illegal number plates, e.g. reg number in a font that speed cameras can't capture, yellow plates, plates not showing county or IRL. The Gardai could have a field day issuing fines for that alone.
    I think it is the revenue commissioners who issue license plates and prosecute/fine for illegal ones.
    That is why big checkpoints are multi agency, checking for different breaches.

Note that there is a very specific format and size for the registration plates. It is illegal to display plates on a vehicle that do not comply with the law.
    The Revenue Commissioners can fine you up to €5,000 for registration plates that do not comply with the law.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/vehicle_registration_numbers.html#l1f4da

Councillors, Council, Garda, Revenue, meeting Friday to discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭French Toast

What's their cause?

Getting a place provided for car enthusiasts to meet up, supposedly.

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

cr-07 wrote: »
    Mayor Mike Cubbard has posted a response on Facebook:

“ Salthill Sunday's

I have to now remained silent on what occurred last Sunday as I tried to find a solution to the issues faced.

I have always been a solution based person and knew that many others would offer their opinions so adding mine to simply get air time earlier in the week would have served no purpose.

Just to inform you, I had regular email contact with the organisers of the event a number of weeks ago and agreed to meet with them to hear what they had planned in terms of an organised and controlled event.

I actually met a number of representatives from the car enthusiasts group a few months ago to try deal with issues for residents in Bohermore. They were to come back to me with some information I required but they never did.

The meeting I offered this past few weeks did not happen but my door remains open.

On seeing images from last Sunday, I immediately contacted the group to meet with me and asked they plan no further events until a conversation takes place with the Gardaí and the council.

This email was not responded to.

I now see on their social media that they plan to meet on Sunday and state they 'will do until they get what they want'

I cannot understand how they expect to get anywhere or 'what they want' if they won't sit around a table and tell us?!

As I say, I am and have been solution based. I realise there are plenty of people who are genuine car enthusiasts and not determined to upset residents. I am realistic and know the guards can't be on the motorway to turn away anyone who someone decides we don't want in the city.

This is why I remained silent to now as I tried to reach out. I tried to deal with the problem rather then just talk about it.

Therefore, this is an open call to anyone involved in these events. Get in touch with me and I will hear your plans and ideas and then work with all those who can make it possible in a way that does not bring Galway to a standstill again. The simplistic solution of just saying 'we don't want them' does not work. We need to tackle this head on and now.

If those organising want respect, I'd advise to show a level of maturity now and step up to the plate.

I have also been in contact with the Gardaí and hope to meet them on this soon.”

See here:
    https://www.facebook.com/100001859126265/posts/5596033350468580/?d=n
    While I respect what Mike Cubbard is trying to do, I take issue with the bolded section. Boy racers are coming to Salthill from all over Ireland. While there were just a few of them, it was "our" problem to deal with. But things escalated out of all proportion last Sunday, and it may get worse still.

Salthill (and Galway) is perfectly entitled to say "we don't want them", as there is simply no way we can handle this. Nor are we obliged to offer any alternative, as it's well beyond our capacity to serve the needs/wants of seemingly every boy racer in the country, even if we were minded to do so. I doubt any town or suburb in Ireland would be able to. It's a national issue, we're just the ones suffering at the moment.

Finally, I don't see anything special about Salthill in terms of the local traffic laws. Favouring private vehicles over public transport, cycling or walking is a very "Irish" thing, and many people and localities are very slow to change from this "default" position.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A place geared for cars, attracts a lot of motorists. Don't see the issue except it seems these aren't the type of motorists that are wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just listened in to the end of the radio segment on it. Interestingly the organiser contradicted Cubbard in regards to anyone reaching out and said they were unable to get through to anyone. In regards to a permit he maintained they were just going for a drive so pushed back on that.

Meanwhile, Níall McNelis was on and said they'd get with the Guards, Revenue, and the RSA to "make it very uncomfortable" for them and that they are not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

zell12 wrote: »
    "there is poo on the shoe of the boy and girl of Wexford"
    "does poo in the shoe outweigh the welfare of the bird?"
    zell12 wrote: »
    Shane eats pigeons, so does his family!

Am I the only one slightly confused? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

If Salthill had no car parking, a network of protected bike lanes, and a road that cars could drive along, then it would be an even better parade ground for lads who want to show off their cars.

Or are you suggesting to close the road to cars altogether?
    I had already been thinking about this, and I'm not so sure. A large number of racers were parked on the side of the Prom (coveted for bike lanes!), probably from the time they arrived in the morning until they left in the evening. As well as congregating opposite the cinema, they were spectators for their mates who were driving (sorry, crawling) past.

So let's say for the sake of argument that the cones were put back in place this Sunday, as well as car park access being restricted, something which was partly implemented last Sunday. On one level, that might make the whole business far less attractive (no audience of their peers to show off in front of), but paradoxically, there might be a greater volume of traffic.

Best to keep them away from the Prom altogether, which again was partly attempted for a time last Sunday.

Advertisement