Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy racers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Am I the only one slightly confused? :confused:

People are odd, in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,684 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Posted in the wrong thread. Twice! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭klr87

Just listened in to the end of the radio segment on it. Interestingly the organiser contradicted Cubbard in regards to anyone reaching out and said they were unable to get through to anyone. In regards to a permit he maintained they were just going for a drive so pushed back on that.

Meanwhile, Níall McNelis was on and said they'd get with the Guards, Revenue, and the RSA to "make it very uncomfortable" for them and that they are not welcome.
    Well, let's just call that out for what it is: A parliamentary untruth, or plainer still, a brazen lie. In particular, what happened between the Aquarium and Grattan - where most of the "photo ops" took place - was not "driving through". It was using a public road for something other than its intended purpose. If they never even bothered asking for a permit, I'm not surprised, as it would have been refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just listened in to the end of the radio segment on it. Interestingly the organiser contradicted Cubbard in regards to anyone reaching out and said they were unable to get through to anyone. In regards to a permit he maintained they were just going for a drive so pushed back on that.

Meanwhile, Níall McNelis was on and said they'd get with the Guards, Revenue, and the RSA to "make it very uncomfortable" for them and that they are not welcome.

Who does he think he is does he think any of them can do anything if every thing on their cars are legal absolute bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

even if the organisers turn out to be arseholes it's still not right to act like any public space belongs to a certain type of person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Am I the only one slightly confused? :confused:

I would say posted in wrong section that is being discussed on live line where Tesco installed nets in an underground car park to keep out pigeons who are destroying the place with poo.

If Salthill had no car parking, a network of protected bike lanes, and a road that cars could drive along, then it would be an even better parade ground for lads who want to show off their cars.

Or are you suggesting to close the road to cars altogether?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117279791&postcount=186

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pelargonium

I was returning from Dublin to Galway on Sunday and noticed a lot of these boy racers at the heavily congested toll plaza west of Ballinasloe. Many were driving carelessly or well above the speed limit, and many had heavily tinted windows, yellow licence plates and possibly other illegal modifications. A lot of the passengers at least seemed to be drinking.
    If the gardai set up a massive checkpoint at the toll plaza on a Sunday, and checked the road-worthiness of all vehicles, driving licences, insurance & tax discs, NCTS status, and random alcohol / drug tests they could impound loads of vehicles and make dozens of arrests.
    A similar checkpoint at Enfield would be useful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I was returning from Dublin to Galway on Sunday and noticed a lot of these boy racers at the heavily congested toll plaza west of Ballinasloe. Many were driving carelessly or well above the speed limit, and many had heavily tinted windows, yellow licence plates and possibly other illegal modifications. A lot of the passengers at least seemed to be drinking.
    If the gardai set up a massive checkpoint at the toll plaza on a Sunday, and checked the road-worthiness of all vehicles, driving licences, insurance & tax discs, NCTS status, and random alcohol / drug tests they could impound loads of vehicles and make dozens of arrests.

There's plenty of non boy-racer cars on the road that aren't road worthy. Or should they only target a certain demographic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

How does one go through a congested toll booth above the speed limit?

Tinted windows are generally fine unless its the windscreen..

Passengers are allowed drink in cars here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's plenty of non boy-racer cars on the road that aren't road worthy. Or should they only target a certain demographic?

No. They should target their resources to make the most efficient use of them and get the best results. In practice, that means if a lot of suspected illegally modified cars are assembling in a certain place, they should direct more resources there as there is a greater chance of more detections and removing unsafe vehicles/drivers from the road. In the same way they target pickpockets in crowded places, and not walking around the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How does one go through a congested toll booth above the speed limit?

Tinted windows are generally fine unless its the windscreen..

Passengers are allowed drink in cars here...

The speed limit drops to 80kmh a good distance from the toll booths, and to 50kmh closer in. It is very easy to speed in that considerably long zone.

Tinted rear windows are fine. Tinted windscreens and front windows are only permitted up to a certain level of light reduction.

If passengers are drinking, there is a chance some drivers are also tempted to indulge. It would make sense to breathalyse the driver where a garda detects the smell of alcohol. I've been bagged before when I was driving people who had been drinking. The drivers should have no problem being breathalysed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

they should be drink and drug testing and doing speed checks on the prom every weekend anyway. millions of kids around the road whether there's a car meeting or not

The speed limit drops to 80kmh a good distance from the toll booths, and to 50kmh closer in. It is very easy to speed in that considerably long zone.

Tinted rear windows are fine. Tinted windscreens and front windows are only permitted up to a certain level of light reduction.

If passengers are drinking, there is a chance some drivers are also tempted to indulge. It would make sense to breathalyse the driver where a garda detects the smell of alcohol. I've been bagged before when I was driving people who had been drinking. The drivers should have no problem being breathalysed.

Difficult to speed in there if it's heavily congested as per the posters report.... my guess is this is the usual problem of a person equating noise with speed...

I was merely responding to the assertion that passengers drinking in a car equated to a crime being committed, how tempted the driver may be by this is conjecture at best, wild speculation at worst

namloc1980 wrote: »

Ok, how about if you read my post and replace the words "boy racers" with "drivers" or "cars"?

Then we are just talking about a disproportionately high concentration of reckless drivers who've actively made the decision to illegally modify their vehicles, and not just allowed them to become less roadworthy due to neglect or wear-and-tear.
    I noted several other problems with these "drivers" besides the condition of their vehicles, none of which specify nationality/ethnicity/lifestyle/age etc.

If laws have been broken then they should be enforced - I've simply pointed out an easy place to find such a concentration of this criminality.

Difficult to speed in there if it's heavily congested as per the posters report.... my guess is this is the usual problem of a person equating noise with speed...

I was merely responding to the assertion that passengers drinking in a car equated to a crime being committed, how tempted the driver may be by this is conjecture at best, wild speculation at worst

Yes, the toll plaza was congested so they couldn't speed there - the speeding was on the way out of the toll as many of the cars wanted to catch up with the others as quickly as they could.

As you point out though - the noise is another matter. It's illegal for cars to make noise above 99db, so it'd be interesting to measure some of the vehicles heard around Galway on a Sunday.

Yes, the toll plaza was congested so they couldn't speed there - the speeding was on the way out of the toll as many of the cars wanted to catch up with the others as quickly as they could.

As you point out though - the noise is another matter. It's illegal for cars to make noise above 99db, so it'd be interesting to measure some of the vehicles heard around Galway on a Sunday.

So were they speeding or accelerating hard?

You'd be surprised how loud a car needs to be before it fails those tests tbh, there's a specific test for it, 0.5m from the exhaust tip @ 45 degree angle, with no load...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The event for this weekend has been postponed - From Salthill Sunday’s [sic] Facebook page:

“So to everyone regarding what's the story with Salthill Sundays?

We are getting alot of messages on here and email so it is difficult to respond to everyone especially to rude comments and complaints.

As to this week, we have created the event but it will be POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, as we have set up a meeting with the Mayor of Galway, Mayor Mike Cubbard , to anyone wondering why we didn't respond, is because it was literally 2 days before the Sunday & we were expecting the turnout that we did and we also didn't know how the day will turn out.

As to people complaining about comments being made to them we cannot control what people say to people, we just genuinely can't.

As regarding to the giveaway, it will be still going ahead. All the donations on go fund me have been refunded due to legal reasons we were not aware before setting it up.

To anyone thats bashing us, there was everyone on Sunday from young to old, girl and boys, men and women, everyone enjoyed their Sunday that came along.

Thank you for everyone's feedback. The Car Scene is being heard.

Thank you from the guys at Salthill Sundays.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭French Toast

Yep, seems like they realised a standoff wasn't the answer. Honestly can't fathom the thought process behind their previous stance.

I'd imagine there'll still be a car crowd around Salthill on Sunday, albeit probably not in the same numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There will no doubt still be a sh1t load of cars going about, to be honest as I said before if rather see this then the guys up to no good dealing drugs and robbing houses.

Some love sitting at home, some love going for a walk along a beach, some love going shopping spending a fortune on that, some love going away on holidays spending a fortune in another country, these guys in most cases have a passion for cars or bikes, yeah sure some are nuts, some spend eye watering amounts on mods etc but isn't it all better then the bad ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Honestly can't fathom the thought process behind their previous stance.

I believe he is 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Better off spending millions for a sulky racing track for a few dozen racers than actually trying to help lads and girls in their thousands who contribute financially to the local and general economy through buying cars,parts,fuel, insurance,tax.. "we had nothing to do" .. the cries of bored kids who got up to no good through sheer boredom..

These guys n gals should be helped not hindered ..and any one of the cars which does not have a full legal window deserves the car to be taken from them. Same for illegal racing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭French Toast

I believe he is 19.

Ah, fair enough.

Hopefully his meeting with Mike Cubbard is beneficial for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

In fairness to him, he came across reasonably well on the radio. Hopefully they do sit and work together. If this guy has the passion to arrange a few properly organised events, council and garda approved, then more power to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭klr87

Yep, seems like they realised a standoff wasn't the answer. Honestly can't fathom the thought process behind their previous stance.

I'd imagine there'll still be a car crowd around Salthill on Sunday, albeit probably not in the same numbers.
    I suspect there wasn't one. For the life of me, I just couldn't comprehend how they didn't seem to anticipate a massive backlash beforehand, or that their defiant posturing since then would only make it worse. If the main organiser is 19 (as just posted), then he (it is a he?) is old enough to vote.

Re him meeting with the Mayor: Good luck with that one. No politician will want to be seen facilitating a repeat of last Sunday, or anything remotely approaching it. Whatever might be offered (if anything), it wouldn't look remotely like the free-for-all we just experienced. But first and foremost, he'd have some serious, industrial-grade apologising to do.

I'm wondering too about what activity there will be next Sunday, and how the Gardai will deal with it, should it get beyond a certain level. I guess it's in their interests to be more visible, and seen (rightly or wrongly) to be more proactive than last Sunday.

I wonder do they think they'll get anything from the meeting with Mike Cubbard. They'll have a chat and then be handed a list of what's required to run an event in the city - traffic management plan, insurance, permit fees, safety plan, risk assessments etc..

Would be great if they have a group with the level of organisation required to pull that together and make a good event out of it. Would be a welcome addition to the annual events if run well. They might get something annually at best though, certainly not weekly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

klr87 wrote: »
    I'm wondering too about what activity there will be next Sunday, and how the Gardai will deal with it, should it get beyond a certain level. I guess it's in their interests to be more visible, and seen (rightly or wrongly) to be more proactive than last Sunday.

It's likely in the guards interest to see the lads get a regular event venue: that would be a lot easier to police than pop-up meets in whatever tourist town the car-fans decide to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There will no doubt still be a sh1t load of cars going about, to be honest as I said before if rather see this then the guys up to no good dealing drugs and robbing houses./QUOTE]

Driving a car is the gateway drug to drug dealing and robbing houses 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Can't ask for a fairer compromise than what Cubbard offered them there. No guarantees it makes either party happy obviously but at least the car enthusiasts have been heard and will know what they need to do to make these gatherings official events.

I certainly think the rascals are a small percentage of car enthusiasts though and plenty of them have spoken out against the OTT behavior from that small percentage.

Next step is to try and get the yuppy dry robe enthusiasts to look before they swing open their driver doors on a busy road :pac:

Advertisement