Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in the city

Options
  • 23-05-2021 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is it worse now than it's ever been? :confused: Just this weekend I must have seen a hundred+ cars parked where they're not supposed to be during the 4 hours or so I spent shopping around town. Cars fully on footpaths/half on footpaths, cars in cycle lanes, cars on pedestrian plazas, cars on these newly pedestrianised streets (what a joke those are)..... double yellow lines may as well not exist.

The sheer ignorance and entitlement of some is astounding. I've never seen it this bad.

The most frustrating part is that there doesn't seem to be anything to do about it; the council don't care, they practically encourage it with the lack of enforcement. They almost seem afraid to punish anyone behind the wheel in the city. The garda also don't give a toss, they're at it themselves on a near daily basis.

It's maddening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well when city Council vans and cars routinely park completely on footpaths and when footpaths are routinely parked on right outside garda stations, it's not surprising that people just don't see it as something that is punishable.

I'd also add red light breaking to the list of behaviours that is out of control.

Also the Pana restrictions are a complete joke at this stage.

Take a look at the Bad Parking Cork twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Well when city Council vans and cars routinely park completely on footpaths and when footpaths are routinely parked on right outside garda stations, it's not surprising that people just don't see it as something that is punishable.

I'd also add red light breaking to the list of behaviours that is out of control.

Also the Pana restrictions are a complete joke at this stage.

That account makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Yeah, I follow that account. It's getting so bad nowadays that my feed is 80% pictures of bad parking in Cork at this stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It isn't just Cork unfortunately, it is nationally.
    As mentioned, when those who should be enforcing the rules ignore them or blatantly breach them, there is little hope of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057761511/1

This is worth a look. Some of the parking is bad, others are just taking the complete pi$$.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It isn't just Cork unfortunately, it is nationally.
    As mentioned, when those who should be enforcing the rules ignore them or blatantly breach them, there is little hope of change.

Park legally and go 10 minutes over on your disc and they're all over you, but park on the footpath, cycle lane, bus lane, double yellow, pedestrian plaza etc and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Park legally and go 10 minutes over on your disc and they're all over you, but park on the footpath, cycle lane, bus lane, double yellow, pedestrian plaza etc and you're grand.

Sadly true, I was cycling to work this morning & came across not one but two vans parked in the bike lane in the short distance between the South Main St junction & the Kino.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I've generally stopped going in town mainly due to the illegal parking and vehicle congestion in the city centre.

The council has failed the people of Cork. The city has zero leadership and is basically ran by a few developers and loud mouths like Nash and the Queens fishmonger.

I go to town, regularly , for some hyperbole!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Somebody running in to town for 5 or 10 minutes to pick up something from 'X' shop is not going to go into a multi-storey.
    Hundreds of on-street parking spaces have disappeared over the last few years to make way for cycle lanes and pedestrianisation.
    The council have provided free 15 minute 'set-down' spaces on five streets in the city.
    I'm just surprised there's not more bad parking.

• Advertisement

Somebody running in to town for 5 or 10 minutes to pick up something from 'X' shop is not going to go into a multi-storey.
    Hundreds of on-street parking spaces have disappeared over the last few years to make way for cycle lanes and pedestrianisation.
    The council have provided free 15 minute 'set-down' spaces on five streets in the city.

Cyclists and pedestrians spend more in cities than motorists so why shouldn't they be accommodated more. A city shouldn't be based on the "I'm just pulling in for 5 minutes merchants" who are less useful to to the economics of the city as they are just flying through, not to mention the pollution they bring with them in their 2 ton metal boxes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/11/16/cyclists-spend-40-more-in-londons-shops-than-motorists/?sh=4312c73d641e

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/509587/value-of-cycling.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Mardyke wrote: »
    I've generally stopped going in town mainly due to the illegal parking and vehicle congestion in the city centre.

The council has failed the people of Cork. The city has zero leadership and is basically ran by a few developers and loud mouths like Nash and the Queens fishmonger.

The irony of a known anti-car poster whinging about congestion caused in large part by the Council's anti-car policies......

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

I go to town, regularly , for some hyperbole!

Where do you get yours ? The small place in the market that I used get mine from no longer sells it. Something to do with Brexit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Nash and the Queens fishmonger.
    That'd be a great name for a show, maybe something like Scarecrow and Mrs King, but set in Cork.

No city needs people driving to a city for 5 or 10 minutes to pick something up.
    If these people are being discouraged from continuing to do this then something is working correctly.
    Now, if only more people would get that message!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Get rid of those ridiculous Parking Discs and introduce normal paid parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Cyclists and pedestrians spend more in cities than motorists so why shouldn't they be accommodated more. A city shouldn't be based on the "I'm just pulling in for 5 minutes merchants" who are less useful to to the economics of the city as they are just flying through, not to mention the pollution they bring with them in their 2 ton metal boxes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/11/16/cyclists-spend-40-more-in-londons-shops-than-motorists/?sh=4312c73d641e

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/509587/value-of-cycling.pdf

Those links you provided are akin to saying more people walk on Mount Everest than drive there. If you pedestrianise a whole area then of course you're going to have more people walking there. A lot of those people will have driven to the nearest car park though so they're still contributing to the local economy. All motorists are not flying through either - hence this thread is about parking ;)

I presume that your aversion to those 'metal boxes' and their contribution to pollution means that you throw your new carpet / boxes of tiles / washing machine on your shoulder and walk home ? Cars are a necessary evil no matter how much people love or hate them.
    No city needs people driving to a city for 5 or 10 minutes to pick something up.
    If these people are being discouraged from continuing to do this then something is working correctly.
    Now, if only more people would get that message!

Every single retailer in every single city would argue that point with you. They don't care how people get there, they just want people coming into the city, be it for five minutes or five hours.

Those links you provided are akin to saying more people walk on Mount Everest than drive there. If you pedestrianise a whole area then of course you're going to have more people walking there. A lot of those people will have driven to the nearest car park though so they're still contributing to the local economy. All motorists are not flying through either - hence this thread is about parking ;)

I presume that your aversion to those 'metal boxes' and their contribution to pollution means that you throw your new carpet / boxes of tiles / washing machine on your shoulder and walk home ? Cars are a necessary evil no matter how much people love or hate them.

Every single retailer in every single city would argue that point with you. They don't care how people get there, they just want people coming into the city, be it for five minutes or five hours.

By throwing in ridiculous stuff like this it really doesn't help your argument - it in fact weakens it considerably. A new carpet, tiles or a washing machine are not daily, monthly or even yearly purchases. It's just silly to introduce stuff like that.

Doesn't seem like you actually read those links so here's some bits of info from them:

"People also spent more time in the street, with a 216% increase in activity such as going into shops and cafés."

"Cyclists visit local shops more regularly, spending more than users of most other modes of transport"

"Per square metre, cycle parking delivers 5 times higher retail spend than the same area of car parkin"

This refers to streets that got pedestrian and cycling enhancements. You bemoaned all the lost street parking - but the evidence is clear, people friendly streets are much better for business than a motorist "just pulling in for 5 minutes". There is still thousands of car parking spaces in the city - it's not like they have all been wiped out, yet motorists are always moaning when other road users get infrastructure and many are so entitled that they think the city should be exclusively for their use only.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

I use the parking app when parking in the city it is €2 for 2 hours even if you only intend to stop for 10 minutes. The parking app for Limerick starts at 50c for 30 minutes, which makes a lot more sense for those just picking something up in the city.

If you don't have parking paid or are parked illegally, then get the tow trucks out. People will quickly stop parking on paths if they come back to no car. It's not that difficult to park legally if you are willing to walk a minute.

The irony of a known anti-car poster whinging about congestion caused in large part by the Council's anti-car policies......

Can't make head nor tail of what you're trying to say here, to be honest!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Celmullet wrote: »
    It's not that difficult to park legally if you are willing to walk a minute.

And therein lies the problem. Some people want to be able to park right outside the front door to wherever they're going. Worse still, they believe they're ENTITLED to it. Look at this shít today on Patrick Street outside Brown Thomas.

https://twitter.com/BadParkingCork/status/1397987494948388868?s=19

This might be the worst I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

In fairness thats one of the groups helping the homeless,they park on the footpath in the evenings same outside tw murrays.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

ofcork wrote: »
    In fairness thats one of the groups helping the homeless,they park on the footpath in the evenings same outside tw murrays.

In fairness just because they help people doesn't give them the right to park where they want .I cant park where I want because I help people too .Its a footpath ,its for walking .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I got a parking ticket yesterday from CCC for parking outside my own house ! Residential estate near the Silver Key that gets hammered on match days. I had a wheel up on the grass verge. It's a 2ft verge before you get to a full pavement. 16 years living here and never seen the like.

Just for background, if we all park on the road, nothing can get through, my last car was written off by a lorry, so yes I deliberately put a wheel up.

If they spent as much time sorting out the parking in town we wouldn't have a problem.

I've appealed but not holding out much hope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's illegal to park on a footway or grass verge. Although I understand your predicament there's no legal automatic right for people to be able to park their private properly directly outside their house on a public road.

Some people do this near me and it wrecks the paths/grass. Some others who care only about impeding traffic park on the paths and block pedestrians. This kind of mindset is evident throughout the country unfortunately.

It's illegal to park on a footway or grass verge. Although I understand your predicament there's no legal automatic right for people to be able to park their private properly directly outside their house on a public road.

Some people do this near me and it wrecks the paths/grass. Some others who care only about impeding traffic park on the paths and block pedestrians. This kind of mindset is evident throughout the country unfortunately.

Well said.

Its mind boggling, the mindset that decides a car "getting through" is more important than the safety of a person walking.

Well said.

Its mind boggling, the mindset that decides a car "getting through" is more important than the safety of a person walking.

Just for info, we were advised by gardai letter to park on the verge to allow traffic flow. I've sent the gardai letter to the council. This followed a fire where the engine couldn't get through. Getting through is kinda important for a fire engine.

It's an avenue, the footpath is a metre wide, the verge is half a metre apart from that. The cars are way off the footpath.

Pick your battles

It's also illegal to obstruct the road which happens if we all park fully on it.

Pick your battles

Wow!

Stop digging. For your own sake.

• Advertisement

Wow!

Stop digging. For your own sake.

Just providing a factual answer

Advertisement