Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in the city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's also illegal to obstruct the road which happens if we all park fully on it.

Who is forcing you to park your private property on the public road or grass verge? Don't buy a car if you can't fit it somewhere legally or safely.

The fact Gardaí are actually advising you to park on a verge illegally doesn't surprise me in the slightest. They actively ignore footpath parking too. And do it themselves outside stations in the city centre.
    This wouldn't be acceptable in any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Narrow residential streets with parking on both sides should be one way if possible, it means there's enough room to park on both sides of the road and ambulances etc can still get through. That seems to be how it works in Spain, from my experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It's also illegal to obstruct the road which happens if we all park fully on it.

No it's not. (Assuming no yellow lines and not single carraigeway with solid white centre line)
    Park on the road not on the footpath. It's not complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Is it because a lot of people in the 1970s got driver licences without having to do a test, that so many people in Ireland don't know how to drive or know the rules of the road?

Or is it just ignorance, like any other country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

No it's not. (Assuming no yellow lines and not single carraigeway with solid white centre line)
    Park on the road not on the footpath. It's not complicated.

It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users

Quote from CCC website

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/parking-services/where-to-park/

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    Is it because a lot of people in the 1970s got driver licences without having to do a test, that so many people in Ireland don't know how to drive or know the rules of the road?

I presume that's pointed at me

Just for clarification, in 39 years of driving, having fully passed the test, I've never had a parking ticket as I've obeyed the rules of the road. If you want to come down to my road and tell the 60+ cars lumped here on match days how to park then good luck to you.

I've been living here 16 years, you obviously know better.

Oh and just for info, the council have written back this afternoon rescinding the ticket as the road is a main thoroughfare for emergency vehicle and exempt from that regulation. Delighted it was an oversight, but obviously I'm just some ignorant

I presume that's pointed at me

Just for clarification, in 39 years of driving, having fully passed the test, I've never had a parking ticket as I've obeyed the rules of the road. If you want to come down to my road and tell the 60+ cars lumped here on match days how to park then good luck to you.

I've been living here 16 years, you obviously know better.

Oh and just for info, the council have written back this afternoon rescinding the ticket as the road is a main thoroughfare for emergency vehicle and exempt from that regulation. Delighted it was an oversight, but obviously I'm just some ignorant

It was more a general question, really.

By the way, CCC are one of the biggest offenders of illegal parking in the city. They also have zero interest in safety of Cork citizens.

Yer as bad as eachother!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users

Quote from CCC website

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/parking-services/where-to-park/

And illegal to park on a footpath or grass verge.

So between the Guards and the council you'll have to park around the corner or build a driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

donvito99 wrote: »
    or build a driveway.

which you wont get planning permission for unless you know the right people

By the way, CCC are one of the biggest offenders of illegal parking in the city. They also have zero interest in safety of Cork citizens.

Yer as bad as eachother!

I couldn't agree more in terms of the council failing daily in terms of allowing shoddy parking in the city which endangers pedestrians and cyclists. I'm 100% with you, but in this instance, unless you know the road, criticism is unfair.

I'm all for the rules and has been proven, obeyed by them. I say again, pick your battles. Respect your opinion but in this case justice done.

We get absolutely slaughtered by match day parking, nothing is ever done. They'd rather spend their resources on one single guy like me that send a bike into to city and get the real offenders

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    And illegal to park on a footpath or grass verge.

So between the Guards and the council you'll have to park around the corner or build a driveway.

I'm going multi story, seems to get planning easily

Oh and as for one of the cyclists on this thread that pmd me....I'd remind you it was my son that spent 4 months in hospital when a fully grown cyclist hit my kid on the footpath outside of my house.

It wasn't Curb by the way, he's a decent bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yer as bad as eachother!

What absolutely sums up the Council on this issue is when they changed a lot of their fleet to electric vehicles last year. There was big fanfare and a lot of backslapping and "look how great and sustainable we are" self congratulations going on. Big photo shoots and all:

electric-vehicle-launch.jpg

And then instead of providing appropriate and suitably located charging points for these vehicles in the city centre they just use the Grand Parade and illegally park up on the pedestrian plaza with a charging lead trailing on the ground in the side door to the library, which is a daily occurrence. Shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There are about three million licences in Ireland - about 10% of those are learner permits.
    (Over 35,000 learners are on at least their 4th permit and 1 in 7 of those are on their 11th permit.)

The number of "non-test" licences issued by Sylvester Barrett in 1979 was over 60,000. That was 42 years ago - you can't pin poor driving practices on that for ever. Even if all those drivers were still on the road it only constitutes around 2.5% of the current pool of full licences. And anyone who qualified for a licence under that amnesty would be at least 60 now, so if someone younger than that is driving like a twat, its not the amnesty that's the problem.

The "its the free licences, Joe" trope is up there with "garlic man".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

2 cars and a van parked in the cycle lane on the mall near electric earlier!

ofcork wrote: »
    2 cars and a van parked in the cycle lane on the mall near electric earlier!

Quite likely belong to people doing work in Electric. Disgraceful that this is not dealt with by the authorities.

Warden was around on grand parade alright ticketing a van parked in a taxi rank,he might have done them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Traffic wardens working today but only ticketing bad parking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

• Advertisement
Advertisement