Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eir Smart WiFi hub (mesh) - any thoughts

Options
  • 24-05-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Has anyone purchased and is using the new eir Smart WiFi hub (€99 for single and €169 for a pair)

Am a Eir customer with a F3000 router installed in the hallway so would be interested in hearing if anyone has bought these and have seen a marked improvement

My contract is up for renewal too !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Hi all

Has anyone purchased and is using the new eir Smart WiFi hub (€99 for single and €169 for a pair)

Am a Eir customer with a F3000 router installed in the hallway so would be interested in hearing if anyone has bought these and have seen a marked improvement

My contract is up for renewal too !!
    I don't have one myself - but it looks like a very competitive price for a WiFi 6 mesh device. Some other posts have confirmed that it works well. Since it works in tandem with the Eir F3000 router, it has a significant advantage over any other make of mesh system - since you will need one additional Access Point to cover your F3000 zone, if you go with another make.

Have a look at the following thread - on Message #11 - the poster confirms that he went for the Eir Smart WiFi hub, and is happy with it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117063496#post117063496

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Can you use the hub with vodafone or whoever when you change broadband provider after eir double the price at the end of your contract ? :)

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Can you use the hub with vodafone or whoever when you change broadband provider after eir double the price at the end of your contract ? :)

It is a standard WiFi 6 Mesh device - so you should be able to use it with any ISP router. However, the Eir F3000 also does mesh natively, whereas most other ISP routers don't - so you might need to get an extra Access Point, if you wanted to use it afterwards without the F3000. (By the way, I have renewed with Eir for several years. If you call them up at renewal time and offer to sign up for another year, they will give you a renewal discount - perhaps not as good as a first-time customer, but certainly competitive if you have a bundle with Mobile and TV included. However, you have to make the call - you can't get the discounts online)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It is a standard WiFi 6 Mesh device - so you should be able to use it with any ISP router. However, the Eir F3000 also does mesh natively, whereas most other ISP routers don't - so you might need to get an extra Access Point, if you wanted to use it afterwards without the F3000. (By the way, I have renewed with Eir for several years. If you call them up at renewal time and offer to sign up for another year, they will give you a renewal discount - perhaps not as good as a first-time customer, but certainly competitive if you have a bundle with Mobile and TV included. However, you have to make the call - you can't get the discounts online)

Any time ive called them their renewal offer is never anywhere near what I get for moving. I dont get TV packages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

You can get a twin pack for €119 with code "Hub30" if anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but does anybody know if you can separate the bands on this yoke. Recently moved to EIr, find the F3000 absolutely crap compared to the VF equipment, I reckon it's because I have little control of what connects to the 5ghz so it can get bogged down.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I'm glad you brought this one back. Just spotted Cuttlefish's discount code. Was thinking about it for ages but that discount was enough to tip me over the edge.

Also would like to see the answer to your question prior to receiving mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Anyone getting benefits with this mesh?

I returned it and am thinking of using Vodafone 5G Network getting away from the Eir infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I am pretty sure there are people who find this system useful , especially if they are aware of Mesh systems in general and not trying to fix some issues not related to wireless coverage but poor broadband service .

I presume you don’t have Fibre To The Home to begin with ?

If you are switching to Mobile Broadband ( regardless of 4g or 5g) then I presume you are quite desperate, is it ADSL/FTTC service you currently have with no option for proper Fiber ?

ps. I’ll probably buy something different though, ORBI , Google Nest WFI etc

Post edited by alec76 on

I don't have this model myself, as I already had a wired Mesh system (Ubiquiti Unifi) connected to my Eir modem, which gives seamless coverage throughout the home. However, the Eir WiFi hub is a very high-spec device, and I have recommended it to several neighbours and friends, who are very pleased with it. The price is very reasonable for a WiFi 6 device, and since it works in tandem with your F3000 modem, you need one less device than is required if you go to a different mesh vendor. You can wire it if you have wiring, but it also works wirelessly, if you don't. Mesh devices are intended to solve indoor coverage issues and provide seamless WiFi coverage throughout your home. They are very good at this, and much better than former solutions such as home-plug extenders. 5G mobile will not solve your indoor coverage problems on it's own. Even if the 5G signal is good enough and not congested at your location, it may not penetrate your house sufficiently to guarantee good performance everywhere. You will still need to consider building an internal mesh network to distribute WiFi within the home, even if you use 5G. In general, 5G is no substitute for Fibre delivered broadband. However, if you are not on a Fibre connection. 5G may be worth considering in exceptional circumstances. In general new mobile solutions are good when they are launched and few people are using them. As they become more popular, congestion builds up, and performance drops. Fibre bandwidths are sufficient, that congestion should not be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sorry to resurrect a slightly old thread.

I would be grateful if anyone that has one of these devices could let me know the dimensions of it. Can't find the info on eir's website!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hey Doodah.

Grabbed a tape measure there and have some approximate dimensions for you.

Around 6 inches tall, 4.25 inches wide and around 2 inches deep. It is also wider at the bottom than the top.

Rough enough measurements but pretty close. Hope that helps.

I find them very good and have them connected over Ethernet. One downstairs and one upstairs. I am still waiting on FTTH so can't test the throughput properly, but checking the WIFI settings on my Pixel 6, I have seen it say it was connected at over 900Mbps transmit and receive link speed.

Can't wait to be able to test it properly some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Zorton

Hi, sorry to bring this thread up but am looking at getting 2 of these Hubs and was wondering if anyone knows whether there are any valid discount codes ?

Tried using "Hub30" but looks to have expired. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 farmerd

I live in a large old farmhouse with incredibly thick internal stone walls (it was apparently rebuilt many times)

My problem/ challenge, is to get WiFi into most rooms.

I got Vodafone because I was told by the salesman that I could extend it into all rooms with an extender for an extra €5 a month.

That was a lie. I would have needed at least 6 extenders and apparently the system doesn't support that scenario.

I got rid of Vodafone promptly and am now looking for a new system.

The Eir set up looks attractive, if it achieves what it says on the tin.

Anyone got any ideas/ views/ warnings.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

I wouldn't count on the Eir mesh being any better than the Vodafone one. Thick stone walls will be a challenge for any system using WiFi to connect the mesh units to each other. If really thick you may need to wire the mesh units to each other over ethernet and need one per room (perhaps one unit might serve 2 rooms with the right placement but its very hard to judge).

Appreciate it may be hard to wire in your scenario but could you go up walls and use the attic space to reach other rooms?

Is the house one story or two? A ceiling mounted access point in a 2nd floor room might serve the room underneath too depending on floor construction.

No idea if the Eir system supports up to 6 units but systems like the TP-Link Deco's should or if going ceiling mounted something like the Unifi AP's would work (but a little trickier to set up).

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Hi, I have 2 smart hubs on my system in a largish bungalow. One of them continuously goes from three green leds to flashing red no connection every few days or even after a couple of hours. When it does this it screws up access until it is disconnected. Eir suggested all sorts of solutions but with no solution to the problem. The other unit located some 25 ft from the router has been working just fine for 11 months with 3 green leds and no problems. The one giving problems is only some 15 ft from the router. To me it is obvious that the unit is faulty but eir continues to suggest turning stuff off and resetting everything which doesn’t make any difference. They just refuse to suggest the unit is obviously faulty and don’t suggest a warranty replacement. Any thoughts? aepos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Are they linked via Ethernet Cable? You could test it this way to see if it drops, there are so many environmental factors with WiFi.

I have one on WiFi the other via ethernet back to the modem, The WiFi one gets Amber signal even though its right above the modem down stairs the house is mass concrete.

There is a simple method to check if one unit is faulty , just swap those units places, I bet they are fine, just thick walls between router and first unit or something similar blocking the signal ( modern double glazed windows almost like a shield for the WiFi)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

I purchased the smart hub thinking it would let me use wifi in my office - not connected to the house. There are thick stone walls so I think this might be the issue. Anyone know how I can get wifi in the office?

• Advertisement

Just bring the hub close enough to the router, make a connection, then you could move it towards the office. You don't need it IN THE office to have WIFI signal there.You could keep it halfway between router and the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Even if I put it in the same room as the router within 8ft it still loses connection after an hour or a day.

Advertisement