Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DYI project - retrofitting insulation into steel shed

Options
  • 24-05-2021 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All -
    I have recently bought a house and it came with a nice size steel shed (6 x 3 m).
    I am looking to turn it into a bike workshop and would like to insulate it properly. I plan to work in it in the winter and heating it with a heater on the inside.
    The recommendation I received was to first line it with the breathable membrane and then use an insulation board (i.e. Quinn Therm).
    The separate question would be how to tackle floor insulation. The shed is NOT sitting on a concrete slab but on the wooden beams that are on the ground. The floor is covered with plywood. I would like to get some insulation in there as well. I know it sounds like a big job but I have time. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thank you very much!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Put in 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 Battons on the floor space them around 400 mm apart then used same depth insulated PIR in the gaps . Cover with ply minimum 18mm but I'd go with more due to weight. Put more Batton around where you want your bike to be and where you will be standing mostly for support before putting down ply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If you can afford to lose a bit of height you could lay your insulation in between fixed 4x2's on the plywood and simply ply over again.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phxboy

Thank you. Do I simply let the insulation sit on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,355 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Could you spray foam the walls and ceiling?

Is there DPC on the beams the shed is sitting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bike as in 200kg motorbike or 10kg bicycle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 phxboy

Bicycles ;)

Advertisement