Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deplorable Conditions at Halting Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Kalimah

There’s a halting site a mile or two from me. One of the loveliest spots in South Co Dublin near the mountains. The place is destroyed. Roofs half pulled off, rubbish and bits of God knows what all over the place.
    What kills me is that the best of materials have gone into those houses and they’re in bits. If I pulled the roof off my house I’d be left with it. Not these guys - probably will be sorted out by the council if they can get access to the place without being intimidated.
    The way I see it is- behave like a responsible member of society and you’ll benefit from it. If you don’t want to do that, sort yourself out and stop making life difficult for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I wonder how all the rubbish got onto the halting site, it's a complete mystery how that might have occurred.

Thats an easy answer. It was the fairies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Yeah a very quick google will give another examiner article from a few months ago that gives a few more interesting details.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40065686.html

"Caretaker intimidated and prevented from doing essential work at Cork halting site"

I have no idea what can be done. Go heavy on them and your a racist who wants to eradicate their culture, go easy on them and the place and the kids lives are in ****e.

We lost the battle along time ago. They and their uniquely cultural way of life will endure and we will continue to pick up the bills while being condemned as racists.

However, looking on the bright side, we now have a Travellers' Rights senator (yee-haw!) and the proud history of Traveller Culture is in the process of being added to the school curriculum. I feel truly uplifted by these progressive developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kalimah wrote: »
    There’s a halting site a mile or two from me. One of the loveliest spots in South Co Dublin near the mountains. The place is destroyed. Roofs half pulled off, rubbish and bits of God knows what all over the place.
    What kills me is that the best of materials have gone into those houses and they’re in bits. If I pulled the roof off my house I’d be left with it. Not these guys - probably will be sorted out by the council if they can get access to the place without being intimidated.
    The way I see it is- behave like a responsible member of society and you’ll benefit from it. If you don’t want to do that, sort yourself out and stop making life difficult for the rest of us.

Nutgrove I guess, they burnt one, it was fixed up, they done it again, they as you say took roof off another and stripped it, they have a thing against letting another traveller family in so it will most likely stay that way....

Huge improvement to years ago though as the space they had was downsized, they would burn rubbish day and night, toxic tyre etc.... They would charge for removal, vans go in and burn it or just dump it and council would go in every so often to clean up. If I recall there was 7 or 8 houses and all but 2 were destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

TomTomTim wrote: »
    This is like me burning my house down and wanting the state to come in and build me a new one. We're getting into murky waters when people want the state to do everything for them, including fixing problems they've created themselves.

99.999999999% chance its this. This group probably looking for the Gov to buy/build a nice 30 house estate to house them all in (with appropriate stables for de horsies, obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Nutgrove I guess, they burnt one, it was fixed up, they done it again, they as you say took roof off another and stripped it, they have a thing against letting another traveller family in so it will most likely stay that way....

Huge improvement to years ago though as the space they had was downsized, they would burn rubbish day and night, toxic tyre etc.... They would charge for removal, vans go in and burn it or just dump it and council would go in every so often to clean up. If I recall there was 7 or 8 houses and all but 2 were destroyed.

Not Nutgrove- it’s Stocking Avenue but Nutgrove is exactly the same. I pass it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I know this is the fault of the state and settled people, i'm just not sure how

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I know this is the fault of the state and settled people, i'm just not sure how

Pandering to them and the NGOs in my opinion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why can't they name the site? RTE regularly do news items on places like O'Devaney Gardens highlighting dampness, mould and rats, where children also live, do traveller children have special status?

Why can't they name the site? RTE regularly do news items on places like O'Devaney Gardens highlighting dampness, mould and rats, where children also live, do traveller children have special status?

They literally do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hopefully they can rehome the rats

no animal should have to live like that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Listening to the whining here on RTE and no questions being asked re their responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chavez.

hopefully they can rehome the rats

no animal should have to live like that:(

Will you take them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's named on the Examiner website

It's a fairly infamous halting site in Cork

Been issues there for years

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40253195.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30731240.html

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40139042.html

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner/20190130/281517932348288

RTE now having traveller representative on to talk about the shocking report on the news at 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    RTE now having traveller representative on to talk about the shocking report on the news at 1

Any comment on the intimidation of the council caretaker that the Examiner also reported a few months ago and that I linked earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

I suspect this report will be waved in front of some European officials in Brussels and ireland will be charged with mistreatment of minorities.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Wonder if any tough questions will be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Why can’t the group of fully grown able bodied men and women that live in the halting site pick up their own rubbish. Why can’t their children avoid walking in muddy puddles going to school. It’s not rocket science is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They need to control the narrative, add a bit of suspense, controversy and mystery etc. It hadn't occurred to me that it was a Traveller Advocacy group that contacted the Children's ombudsman who in turn spent 3 years coming up with another blame game report , curious this very group didn't contact Tusla if they were so concerned about the wellbeing of Traveller children.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Listening to the whining here on RTE and no questions being asked re their responsibilities.

Come now couldn't ask hard questions

The rats problem should be thrown back at the representative straight away

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30902953.html

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40142996.html

• Advertisement

Any comment on the intimidation of the council caretaker that the Examiner also reported a few months ago and that I linked earlier?

comment from RTE lol

No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

no mention of parents taking responsibility for their children or their own living conditions either

no mention of parents taking responsibility for their children or their own living conditions either

The very reason I started this Thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

If any member of the settled community forced their children to live in those conditions Tusla would immediately step in and remove the children for their safety. Yet travellers rights groups claim "culture" as a defence for abuse. We could throw millions at this site and within a couple of months of handing it over to the travellers it would be back to being a cess pool of filth and they would be back blaming the settled community for not giving them enough money.

Enough is enough. The only answer is to break up this halting site and force the travellers into houses. But not all in one estate. Scatter them across every housing estate in the country and they will have no choice but to integrate with the rest of society. Then start to apply the full rigor of the law to protect the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It was an absolute cop out to not name the site, ostensibly to protect the children's identities. It also meant that we couldn't explore the particular issues that are on the site. Like where the rubbish is coming from, and why the LA isn't able to do is work. Listening to the report on RTE, I was puzzled that Ailbhe Conneely didn't think to ask these pertinent questions and why the LA should be expected to clean up after people?

Fair play to the examiner for naming the site. At least it can now be spoken about in specifics and not generalities.

Why can’t the group of fully grown able bodied men and women that live in the halting site pick up their own rubbish. Why can’t their children avoid walking in muddy puddles going to school. It’s not rocket science is it.

But these are the responsibility of the Local Authority surely? I gaurentee you little Johnny wouldn't be getting into big Johnny's brand new Range Rover with muddy shoes and clothes :)

It was an absolute cop out to not name the site, ostensibly to protect the children's identities. It also meant that we couldn't explore the particular issues that are on the site. Like where the rubbish is coming from, and why the LA isn't able to do is work. Listening to the report on RTE, I was puzzled that Ailbhe Conneely didn't think to ask these pertinent questions and why the LA should be expected to clean up after people?

Fair play to the examiner for naming the site. At least it can now be spoken about in specifics and not generalities.

Ailbhe, god bless her, she's on a one women mission to advise the nation on the dispicable treatment of ethnic minorities. I've not once heard her ask difficult questions of why things are as they are, I'm just surprised RTE haven't opened a Travellers Bureau, fully staffed with war correspondents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whoy does anyone buy gift cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

[HTML][/HTML]
    touts wrote: »
    If any member of the settled community forced their children to live in those conditions Tusla would immediately step in and remove the children for their safety. Yet travellers rights groups claim "culture" as a defence for abuse. We could throw millions at this site and within a couple of months of handing it over to the travellers it would be back to being a cess pool of filth and they would be back blaming the settled community for not giving them enough money.

Enough is enough. The only answer is to break up this halting site and force the travellers into houses. But not all in one estate. Scatter them across every housing estate in the country and they will have no choice but to integrate with the rest of society. Then start to apply the full rigor of the law to protect the children.

Are you putting your hand up to be a welcoming neighbour?

• Advertisement

Ara you cant say dat!!

Advertisement