Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deplorable Conditions at Halting Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dempo1 wrote: »
    My God, Travellers could learn much from the Amish, I spent 2 months in an Amish community in Pennsylvania and what an eye opener it was, self sufficient, industrious, decent and quite amazing people. Sure they have their problems but certainly don't expect anyone to resolve them but themselves

Hope you didn't milk any bulls English.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

“We’re travellers,we want to be treated the same as everyone else “

“We’re travellers,we want to be treated different to everyone else “

Well which one is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you have to hand it to boards, program 'personal responsibility' solves just about everything! we too good here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Balony. They investigate all reports.

Typical bashing the public service attitude.

Well what have they done here? Looks like Tulsa are leaving children living in squalor. That's not right no matter who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps you might enlighten us as to were Tusla were during the Three year period it took to compile this report? A traveller advocate group were so concerned they contacted the children's ombudsman, why weren't Tusla contacted???

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you have to hand it to boards, program 'personal responsibility' solves just about everything! we too good here!

Well who else is responsible for bringing rubbish onto the site and intimidating the council and preventing them for doing their work?

Is it me? You? The local authority? Or is it the able bodied adults living on that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No, its a TUSLA bashing attitude. I have no dealings with any other department to comment. I do, however, deal with TUSLA on a fairly regular basis and as a whole - obviously there are people within the organisation doing stellar work - they are not fit for purpose and tend to focus on the cases that they can deal with and close fairly quickly and easily.

Well who else is responsible for bringing rubbish onto the site and intimidating the council and preventing them for doing their work?

Is it me? You? The local authority? Or is it the able bodied adults living on that site?

oh theres no question, theyre causing the bulk of their own issues, but does sitting on the internets, pointing the finger, ridiculing them and shaming them actually do anything?

oh theres no question, theyre causing the bulk of their own issues, but does sitting on the internets, pointing the finger, ridiculing them and shaming them actually do anything?

I personally don't want to shame anyone but it's tge Parents of the kids described in this absurd report that should be shamed, I would have the same opinion of any parent regardless of ethnicity. This report was pushed for by a Travellers advocate group and its findings wish to blame everyone but the parents responsible for such appalling living conditions, it is not the responsibility of local authorities to clean up fter people nor supervise how people live. Tusla at some stage should have been involved and its striking the "Concerned" Travellers advo group didn't think it appropriate to report children being sent to school, unwashed, dishevelled and clearly not being cared for. Instead we get a report that blames everyone but the parents of these children and its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SpraySafely

Here we go now, on RTE Radio 1.

Sarah just after offering the members of the travelling community her front and back garden as accomadation.

Very generous of her.

Hopefully the rest of the RTE staff will follow suit.

• Advertisement

Sarah just after offering the members of the travelling community her front and back garden as accomadation.

Very generous of her.

That offer will be short lived when the horses arrive :)

If they're causing the bulk of their own issues why is the ombudsman and the media levelling the blame for this at the local authorities?

I don't live in filth because I pay for my bins and I don't intimidate the bin men. I let the council go about their daily business.

Listening to this ****e on RTE drive time would make your blood boil.

Virgin media main evening news gave the report about 60 seconds, Good :)

Wheres Peter Casey when you need him.

If they're causing the bulk of their own issues why is the ombudsman and the media levelling the blame for this at the local authorities?

I don't live in filth because I pay for my bins and I don't intimidate the bin men. I let the council go about their daily business.

Listening to this ****e on RTE drive time would make your blood boil.

No doubt RTE "s Prime Time will give it their undivided attention also

The funny thing is, the politicians who are seen to be ignoring this issue will do fine at the polls.

Imagine if he came out and said we are allocating €1 billion towards building a new state of the art equestrian centre/scrapyard/fake tan boutique megahalting site.

Fine Gael voters wouldn't exactly be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Glad to say that all halting sites don't appear to be as bad as this, well the few near me.

Moreso to do with the individual families themselves, they only have themselves to blame yet we pay for it.

Would like to see a breakdown of works and associated costings already spent by the council on this particular site.

Wheres Peter Casey when you need him.

that chancer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I think most of us are ridiculing the worthy posturing members on the Travellers' Rights bandwagon rather than the travellers themselves.

As for shaming them, well there's no need for us to do that as they are well capable of doing it all by themselves.

A familiar tale of woe which has featured all over national radio, playing up "those poor unfortunates" angle. My first instinct as always, do the bleeding hearts sympathetically reporting on this have a halting site within a few kilometres of their upmarket suburb. Secondly, any mention that rat infestations could be self-inflicted via littering and other poor hygienic practices. No prizes for guessing the answer...

Very tiresome when the general public is presented with a one-sided helpless victim narrative, quite frankly it is insulting to our collective intelligence. If I allowed rubbish to accumulate in my backyard, naturally I would be roundly criticised and expected to clean it up. This comes from having an innate responsibility for my actions, and not relying on the state to cater to my every whim because I thought it was beneath me. Living on a premises, you are tasking with looking after it. Simple as, there really isn't much effort involved. Stop whinging, buck up and take ownership of problems of your own creation.

• Advertisement

I think most of us are ridiculing the worthy posturing members on the Travellers' Rights bandwagon rather than the travellers themselves.

As for shaming them, well there's no need for us to do that as they are well capable of doing it all by themselves.

the whole argument of 'personal responsibility' is actually based on ridiculing and shaming, it doesnt work, certainly with the complexities of social issues, theres layers and layers of complexity in regards traveling communities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

the whole argument of 'personal responsibility' is actually based on ridiculing and shaming, it doesnt work, certainly with the complexities of social issues, theres layers and layers of complexity in regards traveling communities

I fully respect your right to post whatever rubbish you may wish to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

At Xmas, I contacted the EPA over travelers pouring 6 50gallon drums of engine oil into the stream beside labre park halting site and I’m still waiting for a callback.
    Oh my god.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A super prison on the site it was intended for..... We need that now more then ever

The whole argument of 'personal responsibility' is not about shaming. It's about countering a bizarre narrative that's taken hold in media, NGO and political circles that we (the rest of society) are to blame for this. We are not, and neither are local authorities.

If travellers bring rubbish onto their site and to add insult intimidate council workers from cleaning up their mess then they are actually responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Very generous of her.

Coming up on two years since I ceased paying the licence fee

No way will I fund progressive dogma

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That site and surrounds have been used repeatedly as a dumping ground and the council have had to come in and clean it all up again.

If you shyte on your own doorstep...try not to be surprised about the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You're forgetting, it's hard to "shame" anyone that's shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Juliette Early Pitcher

Pandering to them and the NGOs in my opinion.....

how about we stop funding these usless ngo/ quangos and that might save some money rather than increasing taxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The notion that 'society' is somehow responsible for traveller children growing up in these conditions is a bald faced lie that needs to be confronted head on.

Otherwise the situation will never change.

Advertisement