Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2FM: Breakfast with Doireann Garrihy, Donncha O'Callaghan and Carl Mullan

• 24-05-2021 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

New line up announced. I guess Game on viewers will be happy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm happy enough with this. At least it's not Marty Guillfoyle.
    Carl seems like a genuine sound lad.
    https://twitter.com/CarlMullan/status/1243831046988271617?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

donnacha o'callaghan ?? - terrible "presenter", shouldn't even be on a podcast, never mind on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Oh Good Lord..Thankfully Spotify spares me from this!!

Ah the Boards radio section. Always a beacon of positivity and support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

flazio wrote: »
    Ah the Boards radio section. Always a beacon of positivity and support.

Shut down 2 FM....waste of money! Nobody listens to it. Anyone could do what those presenters do...

Rinse & repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Donnacha.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

What is the rationale behind the decision?

If the objective is to reach younger listeners, is a 42 ex rugby player the right pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Carl seems like a sound bloke though who worked his way up compared to yer man off Love Island! Happy out for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Great to see 2FM giving presenting spots to young radio presenters like Donnacha who have studied hard and dedicated their careers to the profession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why the change? :pac:

Who's replacing Donncha on Game On?

• Advertisement

I’m delighted for Carl Mullan. He’s a great follow on Instagram. He’s hilarious and comes across as a genuinely sound guy! And exactly seems to have worked his way up too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

KaneToad wrote: »
    Shut down 2 FM....waste of money! Nobody listens to it. Anyone could do what those presenters do...

Rinse & repeat.

Don't forget to "stick RTE gold on instead" of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

KaneToad wrote: »

Rinse & repeat.

You also forgot the 'Is this what I pay my licence fee for?' snark when half of the time it is mummy or daddy who pays it.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    You also forgot the 'Is this what I pay my licence fee for?' snark when half of the time it is mummy or daddy who pays it.

If you pay tax you pay RTÉ. The Dept of Social Protection pay for "free" licenses.

Having 3 presenters on one show is over kill it always was even when it was Breakfast Republic.

Best of luck to them all but pointless exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This is going to be a riot!
    You can tell because they're all making funny faces in the promo shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Don't forget to "stick RTE gold on instead" of it.

Or the “I’ve been listening since 1979 and I don’t like it anymore” brigade!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What is the point of 2FM these days anyway, its hardly public service broadcasting trying to compete with commercial operators.

What is the point of 2FM these days anyway, its hardly public service broadcasting trying to compete with commercial operators.
    Same point as BBC Radio 1, 2 and 5 Live although RTÉ have to cram it into less stations.

Same point as BBC Radio 1, 2 and 5 Live although RTÉ have to cram it into less stations.

You mean RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ 2fm and RTÉ Radio 1 Extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Noel Kelly working the oracle yet again with Donnacha getting that gig. Brutal on Game On.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 SpraySafely

Doireann Garrihy: seen a trailer for her online show.

It did not look particularly good.

What exactly is her talent?

I understand she has sisters who are also unexplicably "famous".

Worrying times all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Donnacha has obviously been hired to bring the "bants".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Donnacha has obviously been hired to bring the "bants".
    Yes “bants” and “craic” will be high on the agenda.
    Donnacha with no shortage of work inside the RTE tent since his retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kamari Incalculable Pensioner

zoobizoo wrote: »
    What is the rationale behind the decision?

If the objective is to reach younger listeners, is a 42 ex rugby player the right pick?

They have to continue to shove Ian Dempsey's godchild down the irish public dont they....the see her and her sisters as the D4 Kardashians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kamari Incalculable Pensioner

Doireann Garrihy: seen a trailer for her online show.

It did not look particularly good.

What exactly is her talent?

I understand she has sisters who are also unexplicably "famous".

Worrying times all round.

Ian Dempsey's god child and her other sister (not the fair city one) is prominent in the PR scene so that opens the doors for her....was a "social media comedian" like the stevo timothy, just screeching and passing off the same voice as an impression, but she had a leg up on them as previously stated links

doireann won't be happy with a trio...as she asked bosses a few weeks ago could the show be all hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

doireann won't be happy with a trio...as she asked bosses a few weeks ago could the show be all hers.

I’d imagine her ego knows no boundaries

She did? How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya I have to say, Donnacha was awful on Game On - His lack of Sporting knowledge resorted him to trying to crack stupid jokes.

‘Did yeh like riding horses Ruby? Get it?... Riding!!!’

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    She did? How do you know this?

According to the Independent, Doireann was keen on doing the breakfast show solo following Eoghan’s departure

https://evoke.ie/2021/05/02/showbiz/rte-2fm-start-auditions-to-find-new-co-presenter-for-doireann

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya I have to say, Donnacha was awful on Game On - His lack of Sporting knowledge resorted him to trying to crack stupid jokes.

‘Did yeh like riding horses Ruby? Get it?... Riding!!!’

the man child act is tiring when you are in your mid 40's

mmm I don't know. I say it was all very low key. They've basically just moved 2 of their other presenters over to the show. It doesn't look like Game On will have a 3rd presenter (according to one RTÉ PR person Ruby and Marie remain on that show).

Is weekend breakfast getting a second presenter?

purely to fill some paper columns I'd say. They just don't have anything else to stir.... or do they???? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good to see RTE trying to cut costs and reduce its mountain of debt, by employing 3 presenters to host a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’d imagine her ego knows no boundaries

As far as I know she has no such ego, is a lovely person to anyone that meets her.

• Advertisement

As far as I know she has no such ego, is a lovely person to anyone that meets her.

In fairness when she was on her own she did a relatively better job... particularly under circumstances... not that I know what those circumstances or if I did that I would say what they are ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

They have to continue to shove Ian Dempsey's godchild down the irish public dont they....the see her and her sisters as the D4 Kardashians

D15, they're from Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

It's better to have one presenter because -
    (A) There is no inane banter between presenters.
    (B) It costs less.

Brings in less sponsorship though. Who'd want to sponsor a primetime radio show (breakfast is a primetime for radio) where you just have one person announcing song to song, news, sports, traffic, break, rinse, repeat. Donnacha is there to attract sponsors and sponsored features which Doireann wouldn't be able to do on her own and Carl doesn't have the name power yet.

Carl did his last weekend show this morning with Aifric O'Connell, Aifric didn't seem too sure about her future when it was briefly touched upon.

Brings in less sponsorship though. Who'd want to sponsor a primetime radio show (breakfast is a primetime for radio) where you just have one person announcing song to song, news, sports, traffic, break, rinse, repeat. Donnacha is there to attract sponsors and sponsored features which Doireann wouldn't be able to do on her own and Carl doesn't have the name power yet.

Carl did his last weekend show this morning with Aifric O'Connell, Aifric didn't seem too sure about her future when it was briefly touched upon.

Yes, but you have to consider if you'll either gain and audience or lose one.

2fm have had a number of single presenter breakfast shows in the past.

2fm aren't' doing well since 2011 they have been supported by the License Fee.

Most signal presenter shows interact with the news presenters, traffic presenters, will have some guests, will have competitions with their listeners as much as 3 presenters will.

• Advertisement

Last solo breakfast presenter I can remember is Damian McCaul.

Last solo breakfast presenter I can remember is Damian McCaul.

Followed by a few years later by...

Ryan Tubrity
    Marty Whelan
    Hector O hEochagain :rolleyes:

I thought Tubridy was before McCaul. Hector, I should of remembered and that only got cancelled alongside Will Leahy on drive because 2fm wanted to centralise in Dublin. Marty was never installed as the permanent presenter was he? Wasn't he just summer cover for Colm and Jim Jim?

I thought Tubridy was before McCaul. Hector, I should of remembered and that only got cancelled alongside Will Leahy on drive because 2fm wanted to centralise in Dublin. Marty was never installed as the permanent presenter was he? Wasn't he just summer cover for Colm and Jim Jim?

Not sure but he lasted a Year and a half, a year longer than rick and ruth.

Damien McCaul was after Gareth O'Callaghan (Gareth had replaced Ian Dempsey in Sep 1998).

Marty Whelan replaced Rick and Ruth (their show lasted only for a few months) - Gerry Ryan wanted a big name to preceed his talk show at 9am.
    Marty's stint ran from Sept 2005 to Feb/March 2007 .

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Listeners bring in sponsors. FM104 and SPIN 1038 have all-music prime-time shows in the drive time slot and it doesn’t impact them whatsoever.

Tomorrow 31st May, is 2FM's 42nd birthday

Listened to it for 15mins on the drive to work, uterine rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Tomorrow 31st May, is 2FM's 42nd birthday
    And it hasn't improved one iota in 42 years.

Just think of how many zillions of pounds/euros it has cost over the years...........

Faugheen wrote: »
    Listeners bring in sponsors. FM104 and SPIN 1038 have all-music prime-time shows in the drive time slot and it doesn’t impact them whatsoever.
    OK, whoever gave you your degree in marketing I'd go back and demand a refund straight away.

Second, I live in Galway so I don't hear either of those stations. Of the stations I do hear, iRadio has credited their news readers as co presenters of their breakfast and drive shows for years, Galway Bay FM breakfast has been held together by the head of sports at the station, Ollie Turner, for nearly 20 years now at this stage from Jimmy Norman to the current lad, Molly. Ian Dempsey is a big enough name to have the on the door alone but would be lost without Mario Rosenstock at this stage. Ireland's Classic sHits has a very tired and repetitive playlist and two presenters. Morning Ireland and Business Breakfast are joyless. Marty Whelan's music puts me back to sleep and I can't understand a word said on RnaG.

• Advertisement
Advertisement