Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Projector went POP!!

Options
  • 24-05-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

When a bulb goes on a projector does it make a pop sound and then a smell of magic smoke? :confused: :eek:

My BenQ projector which I've had a great run with since 2015 done the above last night

Hoping it's just the bulb, but don't wanna waste money on a replacement if its not that

All advice welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Sounds like the lamp... did the lamp light at first and then go “pop” ? If it were the ballast then there would be a clicking sound (maybe) but the lamp would fail to ignite - if you open the lamp panel on the projector it’ll be obvious if the lamp is expired.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

The Ritz wrote: »
    Sounds like the lamp... did the lamp light at first and then go “pop” ? If it were the ballast then there would be a clicking sound (maybe) but the lamp would fail to ignite - if you open the lamp panel on the projector it’ll be obvious if the lamp is expired.

Ritz.

Thanks, I will check

I would be confident it was only the lamp but for the smell of magic smoke is the concerning bit
    Does that typically come when a lamp blows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Thanks, I will check

I would be confident it was only the lamp but for the smell of magic smoke is the concerning bit
    Does that typically come when a lamp blows?

Not usually but sometimes the glass in the bulb could break due to a hot spot but it's rare.

Advertisement