Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's the entitlement that would bother me.

The contract is there to protect him AND the club. If he got injured at the Euros, he'd have rightly expected to be taken care of, just like the contract protects the club from having to sell for under market value.

All of this on top of the fact that he's literally only looking to move to City because it pretty much guarantees silverware, such is how the deck is stacked in their favour already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was reading that apparently Bale had a gentlemans agreement with Levy to leave as well and when the time came around Levy wouldnt honour it until Bale kicked up by not showing up for training and Spurs had little choice but to sell.

If these gentlemans agreements are true then it seems a tactic by Levy, tell a wantaway player that he will let them go in a years time and then when the time comes refuse to honour the verbal agreement. I doubt the players are making up these verbal agreements so its not a good look for Levy for how other players will see dealing with him in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A nice chunk of money and someone like Willock might not be a bad deal for Leicester. They tend to buy well so could use that money to pick up someone decent and still have Willock who shone for Newcastle last season. Lot of ifs and buts there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Harry Kane made the crucial error of believing in a gentleman’s agreement with a man who has repeatedly proven to be anything but that. Good enough for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Even if Levy said he'd allow Kane to leave if the right offer came in for him, that hasn't happened yet. £100 million is not anywhere near what Kane is worth, post covid or not. He's a better player then Grealish (who is great), and has at least 2-3 years left at his current level. Top scorer and assists last year, scored over 20 goals in 5/7 of the last seasons, 3 time golden boot winner etc... If City offer what he is worth he'll be allowed to go, simple as that.

Somehow Levy is the bad guy here? 🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

what a way to ruin a legacy

I wouldnt say Levy is the bad guy but if trust gets broken between players and him over agreements that were made then it could make things harder for Spurs recruiting top players in the future. If Levy is steadfast about not selling Kane then thats his prerogative but dont be making gentlemans agreements saying he could leave and then breaking it. That will only result in agents telling their players to avoid Spurs because Levys word cant be trusted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

James McCarthy (4 years) and Joe Hart (3 years) sign for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Four years for McCarthy, that's a strange deal for a lad as injury prone as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The only person saying there is a gentleman's agreement in place is Kane.

Harry Kane signed what I would imagine a fairly lengthy very legal contract with no gentleman's agreement anywhere mentioned in it to play football for five years for Tottenham Hotspur F.C. for X amount of money a year plus bonuses that would have been checked by his agent and legal team and he was very happy to do so.

A gentleman's agreement excuse is a load of old bollix and buyers regret from Kane simple as that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

Yes, all true. However, clubs do play dirty all the time to offload players when it suits them. Making players train with the reserves, forcing them to use a separate changing room etc.

Levy, I would say, has employed various underhanded tactics throughout the years to get his own way.

One thing I will say to though is I have no sympathy for Kane with regards this supposed Gentleman's agreement. You need to get this stuff written down in black and white + inserted into the contract. In 2011 Modric claimed Levy broke such an agreement. Of course he was never to be trusted.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/10/luka-modric-tottenham-hotspur-chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Surely contracts have to mean something. When players like Kane sign a new deal, meaning more money, they have to be prepared to play for the club for the remainder of their contract. Kane was happy to sign that longer new deal to get a bigger pay rise, now when it doesn't suit him, he wants to throw his toys out of the pram. Sorry Harry, your under contract and entirely in the wrong here. As much as a hardass Levy is supposed to be, this is all on Harry Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say it's very like the Suarez situation. Player agrees to give the club one more year and then they'll look to move on.

Obviously that means the buying club has to pay the fee required though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I still think spurs will sell but only for their price which is going to be around 150m.

Spurs have to sell, if their goal is ucl football then improving the squad is the best bet. Kane plus a mediocre squad will leave them in their current position. They are a million miles away from the top 4 sides quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Luka Modric on Levy:

"I resented him because on a couple of occasions he had promised to let me move to a bigger club and then broke his promise. For me, one’s promise and one’s word are more important than anything."

He seems to have a track record of these broken promises. I'd say he schmoozed Kane by telling him they'd never stand in his way if he wanted out due to everything he's contributed, and he's gone back on his word. It will all come out eventually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There is absolutely no way Levy ever told Kane he'd let him leave for anything other then Spurs' asking price. Can anyone really see Levy agreeing to that, even in passing?

Kane may not agree with Spurs' evaluation, but he doesn't get a say in that.

If he wanted a say in that, he should have gotten it put into his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kane is a big boy and signed his contract.

If he didnt want to stay at Spurs dont sign the contract.

Its not that hard really surely someone could have explained what a contract is if Kane wasn't sure.

Hard to blame Levy for Kane signing the contract he was offered.

Looks like Grealish to Man City for £100m is a done deal.

• Advertisement

I also think players are a bit stupid.

If Levy is schmoozing them like above, from Levy's point of view, 'not standing in my way' does not mean selling under market value. I'd say Levy will accept a bid that gives him what he believes Kane is worth.

Grealish looks all but done to City.

KDB, Sterling, Grealish, Mahrez, Foden, Bernardo Silva, Ferran Torres, Jesus ... and probably Kane once it's all done.

You can only laugh. It's fúcking preposterous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It is a bit disheartening alright - Everyone else can only improve and hope they don't click but more than likely they will.

Can't think of a better striker for their system than Kane to be honest. Only injuries (getting a bit more with age it has to be said) could hold him back if he goes there.

Literally only Utd and PSG, because of the funds at their disposal (for different reasons, obviously) can really compete with that level of spending. there are rumours of Bernardo leaving, but still. they can field two front 4s of potential title winning quality.

Harry of course you can leave next summer if we don't win anything this season however we will need a team to match and pay £160m valuation of you.

Alright Mr. Levy that sounds good we have a gentleman's agreement then that I can leave next summer if we don't win anything this season.

City coming in this season and paying £250m for two homegrown club captains and basically showing the rest of the league were are the Billy Big Balls here now the rest of you back in your boxes.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

Yeah its crazy. I actually think the game is moving into a phase where in order to compete with City the other big clubs are going to have to copy their method of having two top drawer players for every single position.

By having 2 full strength teams what they are doing is taking out an insurance policy on all injuries throughout the season. That gives them a nice advantage over clubs with smaller squads who when they get hit by injuries there can be a drop off in performances. City are ensuring there is no drop off in performances regardless of injuries, thats gong to be hard for any club to compete with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's why they won the league last year. They could afford to rotate players so no one was overplayed in a condensed season.

Liverpool were hurt by injuries, Ole didn't rotate much and the players burnt out before the end of the season and Chelsea had Lampard holding them back for a good chunk of the season.

If City get both Grealish and Kane it's very very hard to see what the other teams can do to challange.

Reports that Maddison and Rodgers have had a fallen out as well is part of the reason Maddison wants to leave.

• Advertisement

If it's moving into that phase, it's a one team league barring a miracle.

It was a miracle that Liverpool won it once - and it was basically because they were perfect for half a season, with no significant injuries at all.

City don't have to be perfect if they've two world class teams. quality and freshness will more than likely win out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

“Four star players”......that’s a bit of a stretch! None of those players would get into Leicester’s team.

As for City....well, barring a miracle it’s 2nd place the rest are going for once the Kane deal goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why on earth would Maddison want to join Arsenal though? Surely there’s another club that can match the wages they’d offer that wouldn’t be a step down (or a sideways step at best, if I’m being very generous to Arsenal, and I honestly mean no offence by it).

Having read some of what Maddison is like as a person off the pitch, I’ve no doubt that Rodgers wasn’t one bit at fault here, so any new club will need to be prepared for taking on a such a “character”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Madisson is supposed to be a bit of an arrogant prick off the field. I reckon Rodgers would be glad to get rid of him.

Danny Ings has joined Aston Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wow, great move for them, thought he was close to joining Spurs?

Watkins was really great for them last season, but just not clinical enough with his chances. Ings is as clinical as they come, and even without Graelish with some of those other additions I'd still expect them to create a tonne of chances for him to put away.

• Advertisement

Villa are apparently planning a second bid for James Ward-Prowse after the first was rejected.

DM Douglas Luis

CM JWP/McGinn

RW Bailey

LW Watkins

CF Ings

Its an impressive team.

Southamptons squad is grim. They were dreadfully shortnumbered last year and have only got even weaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Maddison is everything Arsenal don't need. His team are pushing for a CL place and what does he do, breaks Covid protocols and misses a crucial game in the run in. His form also dropped off a cliff in the second half of his last two seasons at Leicester. Anyone paying big money for him will be regretting it.

Post edited by Fromvert on

It's been pretty obvious Villa have been spending the Grealish money all summer.

Damn it looks like they have done a brilliant job spending it.

Buendia, Bailey & Ings joining Watkins is a very good front line.

Seems that way alright... One of the regular lads on Guardian weekly - think it might've been Jonathan Wilson, but not 100% sure - mentioned at the start of the summer pre-Euros that he'd heard from both camps that Graelish for 100m was a pretty much done deal, to be announced later in the summer. We hear this stuff a lot of course so I took it with a pinch of salt, but it seems like it might well have been the case.

Great signing and one that was completely under the radar so fair play to them. No here we go nonsense with a need of daily updates.

Rumoured 30m fee which would mean that Liverpool get 6m due to the 20% sell on clause inserted in that transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Southampton are going to be under pressure, they where rubbish in the second half of the season (4 wins from 19). And have an awful start to the season, Everton, United, Newcastle, West Ham, City, Wolves, Chelsea, Leeds are their first eight games. Could be firmly in the bottom 3 after that run.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Its 20% of any figure above 20 million so at £25 million reported that would be £1 million.

The Athletic reporting tonight that Lukaku has now told Inter he wants to join Chelsea.

That mess up of signing Morata instead of Lukaku all those years ago has been haunting them ever since!

City not afraid to take the best players off rivals.

Bridge from Chelsea

Tevez crossed Manchester

Nazri from Arsenal

Sterling left Liverpool

Walker from Spurs

Marhez from Leicester

Grealish leaving childhood club where he was captain.

England and Spurs Captain looks like he is going on strike to get his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Been mentioned Inter have accepted €120 million with €8 million in add ons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lukaku has really benefitted from his time in Italy. Looks so strong, fit and healthy. United made a right mess of having him and he really needed that transfer.

If Chelsea move goes through he would be well over 300million in transfer fees.

Villa spending the Grealish money pretty well so far.

The Guardian reporting tonight that Kane is staying in Florida till at least Friday and when he returns to the UK he will have to quarantine for 5 days as the US is on the UK Amber list. So he won't be at Spurs training till at least the weekend after next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i know nothing of leon bailey at all, but he was linked with europe's top teams for the last few years.

buendia is a great player

ings if he can stay fit is a great player.

and all under the radar.

whats ross barkley's story these days?

re city, i am currently trying to rationalise...are they doing anything differently from utd 1990-2010 that i can legitimately have a gripe with? or liverpool from the prior 2 decades?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement