Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Chelsea are pretty good going forward but with the amount of chances they wasted in front of goal last season they can't really go with Werner, Lukaku will get 20 plus goals a season. Reported €115 million with €12 million net a year wages plus add ons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't recall historical teams stacking their bench with an entire first team 11 though... Having like for like replacements across the board.

Show any squad that had the funding to do that and did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Was just reading about how Victor Moses finally left Chelsea permanently last month and it got me looking at their squad. Now I know they loan a lot of these guys out so it negates their wages somewhat but...

Reuben Loftus Cheek 150k a week

Michy Batshuayi 90k a week

Ross Barkely  100k a week

Tammy Abraham  82k a week

Danny Drinkwater 100k a week

Tiemoue Bakayoko 110k a week

Emerson Palmieri 48k a week

Davide Zappacosta 70k a week

Baba Rahman  86k a week

that's 836k a week on players that (Now that it looks like Lukaku is going I think it's okay saying this about Tammy too) I don't think Tuchel would even notice if they were sold. That is before even considering if anyone of them could command a transfer fee. Of course in some cases the big wages are why they can't sell them though like who will pay Drinkwater 100k in 2021. So much was expected from RLC when he signed that deal but man 150k a week! madness

Might seem harsh to put Emerson in that list given his wage but he is at best 3rd choice in his position but they could easily sell him and get a decent enough transfer fee for him. Dude just played in the European Championship final afterall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

All the top sides are building squads with more depth. City are doing what Real Madrid have done, they went into 19/20 with an unreal squad even after Ronaldo was gone:

Carvajal

Marcelo/Mendy

Ramos/Nacho

Varane/Militao

Casemiro/Valverde

Kroos/James

Modric/Isco

Benzema/Jovic

Bale/Vazquez

Hazard/Vincius Jr

A club who could do without Hakimi, Llorente, Reguilon, Odegaard or Odriozola who were sold or loaned out.

Real Madrid 10/11 were short a left back

Marcelo

Ramos/Arbeloa

Carvalho/Albiol

Pepe/Garay

Khedira/Ganero/Gago

Xabi Alonso/Diarra

Ronaldo/Di Maria

Ozil/Kaka/Canales

Benzema/Higuain/Adebayor

Man Utd, Barca, Ac Milan, Juve have had amazing squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

"Income" is a pretty important word there. There's income through winning, building sponsorships, ticket/tv sales, and graft, and then there's state sponsorship doled out via other state owned vehicles. And yeah, there have always been a few teams with benefactors, but never to anything even remotely close to the extent of what City and PSG (and to an increasing extent once again Chelsea) have. it used to give certain teams an extra edge - now it provides them with a whole feckin' sword.

No doubt they have access to huge finance. Yes it gives them a huge advantage and it will be difficult for others to compete.

Aston Villa having to sell a Grealish is not new, they had to sell Ashley Young and Dwight Yorke to Man Utd in the past.

In the premier league, clubs like City buying from other Premier League sides, or Man Utd buying Maguire or Liverpool signing VVD now have to pay massive fees because S Premier League sides can afford to say no unless the money is crazy.

For me any club should be able to have money put in unless rules are changed to make things fair across the league. Anything else is just protecting the advantages that the Man Utds, Liverpools and Arsenals have always had through their brand name, fan, income and infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well there are rules. They were bent and then they were broken .

On what metric is it okay for city to falsify sponsor's?

. anyway that's for another thread rather than this ultimately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

wow never knew Rueben Loftus Cheek is on £150k a week. Its hard to see how Fulham would have been paying him that kind of money when he was on loan there last season, surely Chelsea would have to be making up a short fall in his wages there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Transfer fees beginning to look like lottery money being thrown around imo.

£97 m for Lukaku is OTT considering his age.

£100 m for Grealish would only ever have being spent by City.To put it in context this time last year he was valued at £40 m by press.

Am a Utd fan,luckily for them they had the sense to not buy Sancho last year when Dortmund wanted £108m and most of payment up front.

Kane £100m bid in from City even though he has ankle issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Messi is now crying cause he is leaving Barca - in a world of so much real suffering , he is leaving to get near a 1 million a week - spare me - joining the unlimited funds of PSG - everything wrong in football for me - game of the people ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Barcelona and Messi putting the blame square on the shoulders of La Liga here. Desperate to get them to change their policies. This isn't quite over yet.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's this absolutely bullshit of the highest order would put you even more in the camp of La Liga.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s all relative I suppose. I’m sure he genuinely sad about leaving the club he joined when he was 13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

A mans gotta eat, not sure Messi could have survived on 500k a week or so. He needs to prioritise and follow the money for his family, unfortunate he has to leave the club he loves to make ends meet but that's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Advertisement

leave Barca if he want the extra PSG money , but stop crying in public looking for sympathy - 99.9999% of the world can not relate to living of 500,000 or a million a week - it's his choice at the end of day - I think its pretty pathetic really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Come on have a heart, it is not fair that he has to leave Barca to get that sort of money. Not just him but his family, I mean there is a world of difference between spending your millions in Barcelona and Paris.

Barca want to offer him the money & Messi will gladly stay for it, they have all tried their best but La Liga have put a stop to it.

Tune in next time to see how this one develops. Soap opera stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

After almost two years of covid affecting clubs cash flows everywhere..it's blatantly obvious which clubs are operating well beyond their means through whatever methods, spending 100 mill ,90 mill ,on players now despite not having a proper income for at least 18 months, whilst others a selling to survive,inter won the title last year and are broke,Barca broke, Madrid broke.. never has it been clearer who's funded off the books.. I'm excluding utd from this as they generate more than everyone almost.

Have to wonder if Barca aren’t secretly delighted with this - they really are fcked financial, and La Liga being the baddies is the perfect ‘get out’ of the Messi situation without massive fan backlash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

He has an estimated net worth of about 400 million. He could have taken a pay cut to help out the club he supposedly loves so much to continue playing for them. Ultimately Messi loves money more than anything and this is the proof, he can keep his crocodile tears, he's fooling nobody.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He was taking a 50% pay cut I think. Even if he played for free they wouldn't be able to register him unless they got rid of another 25% off the wage bill.

Their wage bill was more than they make. La Liga want them to get down to 70% of their turnover I believe.

Messi isn't the bad guy here. Barca is run terribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, he could decide to play for nothing for a couple of seasons, and it might just allow him to stay where he supposedly loves.

The club is badly run, but it more or less bankrupted itself over the last decade to pay his astronomical wages. He could show some loyalty to the club he loves, but no, it's easier to blame someone else and pimp yourself to psg. So keep your crocodile tears, ya money grabbing billionaire.

Football had been dying slowly for many years. Clubs were living way beyond their means and covid has found many of them out. Barca, Madrid, Juve, Inter, etc. All bust. All have fire sales to lower their costs and try to desperately bring in some money to keep them afloat.

I have no sympathy for any of them. UEFA brought in ffp, and let everyone flaunt the rules. It's all coming home to roost, and great to see so many struggling. Football will now be between the top EPL teams, and probably PSG for the next decade. Bayern will struggle to keep up too. Their flagship tournament will be a bore to watch and more fans will switch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well after that presser whatever club Messi joins will know he really doesn't want to be there as his heart is with Barca. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It wasnt a real pay cut as such.

The reason it was going to be a five-year deal is that it is likely that Messi would play the next two years but it's a longer deal so that he stays linked to the club as an ambassador. But the talk is he might go to MLS after two years while still being paid by the club.

It's a way for Barcelona to spread out the payment over five years.

Its not really a pay cut at all.

His last contract was 4 years at a total of over $670m (560m euro), and his new contract was really a 2 year contract at a total of $420m as the last 3 years wouldnt be at Barcelona.

PSG are offering 40m euro per year supposedly, thats a fraction of what he was on at Barcelona.

Out to 14/1 to stay at Barcelona, I think thats a great bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

My understanding is that he couldn't even play for free. To register a new player in La Liga your wage bill has to be something like 75% or less of revenue. At the moment Barca's is 100%+ I believe. And since Messi is out of contract, it would be considered a new signing.

So he couldn't play for free now even if he wanted to. It's all Barca's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

PSG doing all they can to try win the champions league, so should be hilarious when they don't win it again this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Lol at people saying Messi should offer to play for free. Barca are to blame for their travails, not Messi. He has been the best player in the world for well over a decade, he is running at an almost 1:1 goal to game ratio, that is obscene which is why he has been on obscene wages.

Barca screwed themselves on the likes of Coutinho, Dembele and Greizmann, they got bullied by PSG over Neymar and were left with a massive bloody nose. As a result, they have spent the seasons since trying to show how big their mickey is by paying ridiculous transfer fees and wages.

And it's all come home to roost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not OTT for Lukaku at all. Chelsea are getting one of the top 5 strikers in world football in his prime at a time when such players are more valuable than ever. He's only 28. For comparison, Lewandowski is 32, Benzema is 33, and Suarez and Cavani are 34. If Chelsea can get around 4 years out of Lukaku, and win a league or Champions League in that time, it will be money well spent.

United don't have sense, they have parasitic owners that hate to spend money unless they have to play the fans like a fiddle again. Another season of disappointment and the green and yellow scarves will be dusted off and brought back out for another useless wave.

As regards the bitter comments on here towards Messi, as noted above he couldn't play for free as it wouldn't have been enough to meet La Liga's rules. There was nothing he could do.

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1424356442153312262

Really hope anyone but PSG win it - everything thats wrong with football is at that club, trying to litterally buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's just such an easy option going to PSG. A few games in the ucl each season that really matter. The greatest player ever possibly and he's off to play for a soulless club with no history. It's sad we won't get to see him in the premier league to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

My point is if you are spending that kind of money it would be preferable to get a player a few years younger……

Lukaku didn’t set the World alight at Man Utd……did very well last year in the less competitive Serie A.

So for those saying Barcas wages are >100% of their income and it has to be less than 75%, do you really think La Liga are going to stop them competing in the league this year?

I'd say their wages have been >100% for a few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There is every chance they won't get 4 good years out of Lukaku IMO.

He's been playing at a high level for 10 years already, is a big man with a bustling style, and while AFAIK he has a decent injury record thus far, his style is hard in the body, and it would be unusual for someone to sustain playing the way he does for 15 years at the top level.

Be interesting if he can have an impact in the EPL like he has had in Seria A, I'd have my doubts if he will have an impact in the big games against the tip 5 teams, will probably do OK against the other teams but it's a big price tag to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

A lot of people complaining slot Messi opting for PSG. Who else should he sign for?

He's joining one of, whether you like it or not, the top teams in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

He had 27 goals and 9 assists in his first season with United. His second season 15 and 4 in a poorly functioning team, managed by a melting down Jose and he was often shunted out to play as a winger. Then Ole came in and didn't really play him.

Rom will get goals. He was much maligned due to his often poor first touch but he will get goals and will I feel do very well at Chelsea.

I'm still sickened that Ole pinned his hopes on Rashford and Martial ahead of him tbh.

No, the way the rules work, even if you’re over the 100% you can still compete - you just can’t register new contracts. All contracts agreed prior to the rule change can be honoured.

hence the problem with the new free transfer lads, and Messi since he’s out of contract.

They had the highest revenue in football pre covid. Here is a thread on the last accounts that may be of interest:

Barca have a cap in order of 350million this season. That would be well below revenue/earnings. Not sure where some of these 100% and 75% fugured are coming from?

but not a top league , its the easy option , guaranteed the league with only a few tough games a year , if you choose England, Spin, Germany or Italy at least you are testing yoursef, if you want to be really considered the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

He has well proved that already, no matter where he goes now.

Also they didn't win the league last year, and Monaco and Lyon weren't far of PSG in second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Didn't Laporta mention the 70% figure in his press conference on Friday? That's what was being posted by the guys live translating the press conference on twitter anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Monaco and Lille have won Ligue 1 within the last 5 years. Bayern meanwhile have won the Bundesliga 9 seasons in a row, and before Inter's recent win, Juve had won it 9 times in a row.

Funny how it's not a top league and yet Premier League clubs are falling over themselves to take talent from it! Also worth noting that the PL has seen results like Southampton getting stuffed 9-0 (twice) and Palace getting hit 7-0 in recent times. The idea that every game in England is tough is nonsense. Most sides the likes of City face this season will have every man behind the ball.

Thank you, those figures looked to me like a wage cost as a percentage of their wage cap rather than their income.

As I understand it La Liga assigns clubs a cap within a total that factors in income, expenditure and debts, the less affluent clubs want the big clubs who already have a more generous share of the cap to abide by it, Messi's deal would put Barca above the allowable cap so La Liga say no to the new deal.

Barca'd debts would reduce their wage cap significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Joe Willock to sign for Newcastle for £22 million which seems like decent value in the current market, given the massive impact he had there.

whats your point - the French league is a more competive league than the Premiership ??? dream on, PSg will be light years ahead of the rest of ther league (on paper and financially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well he's guaranteed to be challenging for every competition they play in, including most likely the CL. Which he undoubtedly wants to win.

If Messi leaves Barca, I think they'll struggle to finish in the top 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

Financial Fair Play is already goosed, the likes of Psg and city can't be stopped.

So I'm hoping PSG bag Messi and Ronaldo whilst they are at it. Wouldn't it be great to witness 2 of the greatest players ever on the same team?!

First off, Ronaldo is not being mentioned as leaving Juve, unless you have information we ain't heard.

And a frontline of Messi, Ronnie, Mbappe and Neymar. So ego's there! Would never function properly.

"if you really want to be considered the best" ? You serious?

Messi is accepted by practically every football fan, player, pundit and old timers as one of the greatest of all time, if not THE greatest.

Going to PSG, if he does, doesn't diminish what he has achieved in any way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement