Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

on a more serious note, this guy is saying that it's a done deal now with Ronaldo going to Man City.

Cracking signing for the blue half of Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Welcome to Manchester!

Would City go full on Tevez with the promotion trolling with Ronnie arriving at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

There's also reports that there is no agreement as City want him on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Oles just been asked about Ronaldo, replied If you played for United you don't join City ,..................eh you've literally just signed Sancho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Madrid still after Mbappe. I cant see PSG letting Mbappe go for zero. Makes far more sense to let Mbappe go for 170m get Ronaldo for 25m, then starting trying to lure Pogba on a free (a la Wijnaldum) so PSG can have a France international back starring in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Eh you realise that Ole didnt sign Sancho to Man City after Sancho played for United right?

Christ double quotes a disaster. Ligue 1 would suit Pogba Titian.

Ole said if you played for United you don't join City.

So the opposite should also be true, if you played for City you don't join United.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, no one said either player joined directly from United or City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if this happens, could Liverpool and United fans be united in calling Salah the best RW in PL history now?

😁😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As a divide, it just doesn't seem as difficult a one to cross as some others, particularly if its indirectly (which is a good thing). Sancho being a good example, it ever even really came up. Now, obviously Ronaldo is a different thing since he was more than just a Utd player, he was a talisman. But the broad-brushed "if you've ever played for one you dont play for the other" thing seems a bit silly these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

No.

Do Liverpool fans now claim Hodgson was a better manager than Benítez?

The opposite isn't true. Ole was speaking on Uniteds stance not on City's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

That quote/video going around is from April when he was asked if UTD were interested in Aguero

that doesn't make a lot of sense... United's stance on a thing they can't control (a different team buying a player) is to be all local-rivalry blah blah blah, but their stance on a thing they can control (their own team buying a former local rival) is to welcome in said-former-local-rival with nary a mention.

It's all constructed nonsense. Everyone involved on every side will do whats suits them in the moment, always.

I totally appreciate the anger/resentment toward a former superstar who was more than a player, and was an emblematic figure of the club, making a move like that, but having it as some hard and fast rule the way Ole said it just seems ridiculously childish.

Doesn't make much sense does it to say United stance ,

As its got nothing to do with United ,

Also Law ,Kidd , Cole, The big Dane , Owen Hargreaves all played for United then City ,I'm sure there is more

Yes and Oles/Uniteds view is they shouldn't have.

which is a demonstrably hypocritical, dumb and self-serving view to have...

• Advertisement

To interrupt the memes and bants now multiple reports of Jorge Mendes in Paris offering Ronaldo to them.

That would be the only scenario that suits all parties.

Would be a great shirt-seller and attention-getter of a move... I'm not sure it'd work all that well on the field in practice though.

So its not really United's stance its just Ole's opinion

Well it wouldn't suit City as they need a striker. City and PSG don't give a crap about United and I'd say they are well down the list of things to worry about for Ronaldo.

There'll also be a bit of one-upmanship going on behind the scenes between the oil clubs you'd imagine. I got Messi, well I got Ronaldo.

Also Ronaldo would help with the sports washing effort at City.

How long before Harry Kane sacks his brother and gets in Raiola or Mendes as his new agent two men who would have made sure he was a City player this summer.

It's admirable to have gone that direction - but probably not wise. I don't think a better agent would have ever let him sign a 6 year contract at a club he wasn't 100% sure he wanted to be at for the long haul. Especially with Levy. That deal alone basically took Kane's whole career out of his hands.

I think the 'family-member-as-agent' thing only really works if you're already at a challenging club, and don't need to go leveraging moves onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

The damage was done 3 years ago when he signed a 6 year contract and agreed to 200k a week. He's been one of the best players in the EPL over the past 5 years and theres probably 15-20 players getting paid more than him

The Athletic reporting now that City are in talks tonight with Juve and Ronnies reps about making a deal.

I could see City using this as a way to get Silva and Laporte off there books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought Ronaldo had more class than to go to City.

Well what actual adult gives a fúck about United in this deal they arent involved.

Just from basic business perspective.

One fact is City apparently dont want to meet Juventus asking price. City should have jumped at the chance and dithering is odd.

As for PSG well buckle up;

PSG now seem very likely to get a very bloody nose from Mbappe if he isnt renewing his deal and it would be the stupidest business in football history to turn down 170m so they can loose him for 0 in 12 months time.

Now you mention one up manship and sports washing would it not suit PSG from that perspective to double down and actually unite Messi AND Ronaldo? Why would PSG want to let City get that one upmanship and sports washing chance if they get it themselves?

Plus PSG have been chasing a CL for years, getting Ronaldo would be a further boost to that goal (with the added bonus of simply preventing any competitors getting him). And while they mightnt value Ronaldo at 20m getting Wijnaldum, Ramos, Donnarumma, Messi and Ronaldo for 20m is fantasy football business.

And for Ronaldo and his (until today it seems) oft mentioned ego. He has won the English PL before, what does winning it again do for him exactly? Now going to France and winning another league title in a 4th country would be a major ego boost. Winning another CL would be yet another ego boost for him, joining City wouldnt increase his chance of adding another CL not with the Galicto Grande project at PSG.

A TLDR

PSG are looking down a barrel of a shotgun with Mbappe's comments and refusal to sign a deal.

It seems they cant salvage Mbappe now but adding Messi AND Ronaldo is a PR goldmine for PSG and would considerably save face for them.

And for Ronaldo gets to add to his legacy by being league champion in a 4th country and add a few more CL's to his career total.

In terms of profile Cristiano Ronaldo is pretty much the only player (outside Messi who they already have) in the world that could act as a band aid over this Mbappe situation PSG face. The fact Ronaldo is actually available is a massive stroke of luck for PSG.

• Advertisement

A lot of Untied fans forget Ronaldo said he was a slave there when he was forcing his move to Madrid,

The only thing he cares about is his own legacy in football and that will be made stronger if he helps City win there first Champions league ,

I'd fancy City with Ronaldo to beat PSG

Well there appears to be plenty of people who care. Ole even gave a quote on it today didn't he?

City don't want to meet the asking price but they also want to move some players on. They've done a swap deal with Juve before so I wouldn't rule that out. City never jump in and pay an asking price, they pay big money for a player but it always seems at a price they are happy with (walking away from Maguire etc)

€170m is nothing to the likes of PSG or City owners. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes at PSG, Mbappe may have told them last year he didn't want to renew and they've been happy enough to get two more years out of him.

Yes they could and possibly are trying to bring Ronaldo to PSG to play with Messi but Ronaldo will go wherever suits him best. Maybe at PSG he'd play less games with competition from Neymar, Messi and Mbappe. Or go to City and be guaranteed to start every game? That could be something he's looking at? Or if he helped City finally win a CL then he'll be heralded as the catalyst, he'd only be a part of that at PSG.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out anyway.

Edit: forgot to say he might actually want to work with Pep.

I thought I made it clear but in case I didnt. I dont see Ronaldo and Mbappe in Paris together.

I see Ronaldo as Mbappes replacement to save face for PSG and their owners. Unless they just decide to try and absorb the bad PR and awful business of letting a prize young asset leave for nothing when they had the chance to cash in on him.

And for Ronaldo personally he'd have a chance of winning the CL at City. Its virtually (say 90%) guaranteed to win at PSG.

I think it's been well known since day one Mbappe was never going to stay at PSG long term.

He's the kind of player who always struck me as playing for a few big teams. A bit like Henry.

Perhaps but I dont think PSG were expecting him to move for nothing that refusal to renew is a big catalyst for PSG to act now. Plus given the age profile of Ramos and Messi I think PSG are really planning on this year to be the CL win without much eye to the future. So flipping the younger Mbappe to the veteran Ronaldo would seem to fit their current strategy of win NOW and the future meh.

I think we are going the way of players running down their contracts now and moving more regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

As a United fan, I don't give 2 hoots whether Ronaldo goes to City - he'll do whatever's best for Ronaldo as he always has done.

My only hope is that he's a disruptive presence and causes problems for Pep...

Wenger was so right when he called it years ago that with the money now in the game players would run down their contracts and move for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Utd fans might now finally admit Messi is the superior player, albeit through gritted teeth.

👀😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Tevez says hello ole... No fee involved,still went from utd to city via west ham contract ..bla bla

• Advertisement

Actually with the Benjamin Mendy news I just heard on TodayFM maybe City do need a blast of positive PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ronaldo would love to go to City and win the Champions League with them, that would feed both egos.

It would distract alright - though Ronaldo has had his own sexual misconduct allegation hanging in the background with the American lady.

that story didn’t get as much air as it perhaps deserved, but moving to another team right as another issue is developing there might be a tempting angle to cover for some journos to bring it up again.

in general it’s a bit mad how little coverage some of these sorts of stories often get - like Neymar being dropped by Nike over his treatment of one of their female employees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd be disappointed in Ronaldo if he goes to City, although not surprised. He is after the Champions League and a move to City gives him a great chance of that. It would be a good move for City as he will guarantee goals.

I hoped PSG would be interested but maybe it's not practical to have him and Messi together. Can't imagine either guy would be happy to share the spotlight.

With all the different rumours popping up, I’m actually kinda surprised we haven’t seen anything about Man City moving for Griezmann. Would make a lot more sense for them than Ronaldo even - absolutely ideal fit for Peps type of game, would be totally perfect for them. Works hard, connects play, and finishes. Barca would love to offload him, and City are one of the few teams that could shoulder his wages without any hassle.

£800k a week I doubt even City would want that on there official books.

I guess they could do 350k on the books and 450k on the board of a UAE company way to get around it.

Insane money absolutely, but surely Ronaldo will be after something not all that dissimilar? Ronaldo’s on around 950,000 a week at Juve after all. So if you’re in the market for Ronaldo, Griezmann makes more sense to me as a player who’s younger and fits the system an awful lot better. Would thrive under Pep imo.

Which one would be better for PR/Marketing/Sports Washing.

Not the Barca player.

• Advertisement

Yes, but the other would be much more fitting on the pitch, and this is Pep we’re talking about. It’s not like Griezmann doesn’t have a useful profile, and City tend not to generally go for massive personalities. Griezmann would be more in line with their usual signings profile.

Just surprised it hasn’t popped up as a notion yet at all, as it makes a lot of sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement