Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Juventus signing Moise Kean to replace Ronaldo probably eclipses Rickie Lambert as Suarez's replacement as the worst ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Interested to see how Ronaldo joining will affect Sancho's game... we saw at Juve how it really stunted Dybala in a similar position, with Ronaldo always in the space Dybala wanted to move into, and having everything focused on such a dominant forward who always wanted to be receiving the final ball, rather than making space for it. All depends on how well Ole can get them moving and coordinating as a team I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Ronnie plays center forward he blocks Greenwoods progress for probably two seasons if he plays on the right he blocks Sancho's as Ronnie will demand to play every game.

Interesting to see how Ole deals with all this now he will earn is managers stripes and wages now.

No doubt Ronnie will bring a lot to these players in training with his professionalism.

I wonder where Cavani see himself now in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ronnie will be guaranteed 10-15 goals alone if Utd can spam crosses to him.

Doesn't need to be pretty but if he can get alone against a player, he'll get goals attacking crosses.

Shaws got great delivery, AWB, I'm not sure about.

Think its a good move to be honest... in conjunction with my point above, without Ronaldo other players will likely go back to scoring more, like they did before his arrival. Moise Kean didn't work out in England, but he was scoring 1 in 2 in France last year, and was scoring 1 in 2 in Serie A before he left last time. Could see him doing well this year - I mean, not Ronaldo levels of well, but well for a 21 year old forward. He already knows the club inside out, and has relationships with many of his teammates, so it's a clever enough move given their financial issues.

Ricky Lambert by contrast was an auld fella at that stage, with very little to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kean had a brilliant loan spell at PSG, a big club, so to compare him to Rickie Lambert is a bit crass.

Also, Lambert was never signed to replace Suarez, you could argue that Balotelli was but I don’t think replacing Suarez was ever an option after missing out on Sanchez in the same window he joined Arsenal. We simply had to make do with what was available.

As far as I’m concerned, Firmino was the replacement signed a year later and it worked out brilliantly in the grand scheme of things. Funnily enough, it was reported earlier in the year that Atletico wanted to replace Suarez this summer with….Firmino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There isn't the money in Italian football and once Andrea Agnelli's superleague plans fell through he probably looked at the books and wondered why he was paying so much for a 36 year old that was part of a team that now probably farther away from winning the CL than before and besides he probably wasn't selling enough jerseys anymore.

Of course Ronaldo will sell millions of jerseys over the coming months to offset his wage bill, a lot more that he would if still based in Turin.

And Moise Kean will do ok, sure no kid is going to want his jerseys and he wont have that presence on the pitch but he will save a good few quid.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads this jersey thing is a falacy. Signing Ronaldo won't mean United will see much (if any) extra money from jersey sales. Uniteds deal is structured in a way where the vast majority of the money is from the sponsorship.

As far as I know Liverpool are the only team in the PL who get a significant portion of shirt sales as they structured the deal that way.

Yeah Adidas will be the only ones making real money out of Ronnie shirt sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have to laugh at all these so called pundits/experts on Twitter, claiming they know where player X is going etc.

All got this one wrong. They are just guessing like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Sky said that Ronaldo is on 84 PL goals, so he'll be aiming to join the Ton Up club ASAP. Definitely on spotters so, and as stated above, he is poor on free kicks currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Welcome back to Manchester Cristiano .......

I wonder what Sepp Blatter thinks of Ronnie going back into slavery after the backing Ronnie when asked for his help to get Ronnie out of his slavery at Man U back in 2008.

Got to love the hypocrisy in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This is like if Gerrard came out of retirement and cane back to Liverpool. Its a disaster of a signing. Watch Fernandes dissappear like he does with Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its mad the while Ronaldo to United tranfer kind of shows the roles hace revered in Manchester

The signing makes little sense, He's not what United needed and he takes up the CF position for 2 years so no Kane, No Haaland, Its a power play transfer, Who takes penos, its bound to annoy Bruno, Less game time for Greenwood through the middle to,

Its exactly the sort of thing City done to try make them seem liks a big club with Tevez, Robhino and so on,

Shows the power shift in Manchester is complete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Can't fault United for making this signing. Can't see it making much difference in their season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Imagine the likes of Greenwood/Sancho/Rashford christ even Martial being around one of the GOAT and learning what it takes to be the very best. Commitment to the game, how to look after yourself, how to understand the game as an attacker...That kind of tutelage is worth it. Plenty of games in the league, cl, various other cups for play time.

Utd's stock has already increased by 10% which is over 250million. He pays for himself.

With Cavani's debacle about playing the internationals he's out till Christmas nearly with quarantine that will take place.

Rashford has been run to the ground, played most of last season with an injury.

Martial cant be trusted to lead the line.

If its a choice of Ronaldo for 2 years or not have him at all, Utd would be a fool not to have taken him.

• Advertisement

The Glazers will love that stock price going up a very smart move for their wallet resigning Ronnie the next dividend they take out will be a nice chunk of change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Haven't posted much since the change because I hate it so much. But holy sh1t what a signing for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think United fans will be happier with this signing than opposition teams will be worried by it.

TL:DR United need to sign a DM not a striker. City need a striker and Ronaldo would have been more dangerous with City than at United.

Man Utd have scored 73, 66 & 65 league goals the last 3 seasons. Will Ronaldo add 15-20 score goals on his own? Of course. And United do have attackers that score goals and spread them around between Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, Martial etc. But you cant just add on Ronaldo's goals to what they already score as that's not how it works. He will take some goals away from other players - maybe Bruno's penalties for example. He will take up the same positions where Cavani scored his goals from etc. Greenwood won't get as much game time now. So he will probably bring them up closer to the 80 goals scored mark. But is that be enough to win the title?

Not if they don't sort out the midfield issue IMO. They couldn't get a foothold on the game against Southampton because of the poor midfield. Is adding another attacker to an already well functioning attacking unit really enough of an upgrade to win the league? I think other areas are needed to be addressed more. Signing a Fabinho would be more worrying for title rivals rather than signing Ronaldo IMO.

Chelsea had a big problem with not having a main goalscorer. They needed a striker so brought in Lukaku and he will probably score 20+, supplemented by Havertz, Werner etc getting their 10 goals. Chelsea should have scored more goals than they did last season because their main striker was not finishing chances. I think Chelsea's goals output will increase a lot with Lukaku. Probably the transfer that will increase his clubs scoring in the league this season IMO.

I think Man City could have done with a striker. They want that focal point who will become their main goalscorer like Aguero was. Ronaldo wouldn't exactly take goals away from other attackers. Sterling would still be their secondary goalscorer and supplemented by Torres and Jesus if he plays. I think Ronaldo would have increased City's goals by 10+ without taking away from others. He would offer the focal point that is needed to allow the others play off and with him and which the likes of Sterling and Grealish would thrive off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Sorry Coulsen don't know how to quote to you on mobile.

Agree they probably will and they are still hated among many utd fans, including nearly all in the utd thread and myself. But what can we do bar not buy the Jersey etc.

Glazers will think they've won the fans back but they haven't.

Am I happy he's back at united. absolutely

Am I excited to watch him in the jersey. Hell yeah.

Do i agree or back the glazers. No fuckin way.

I was 18 when he left so I'm just enjoying the moment as a fan of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I really think this is an awful move by United. You have a future superstar breaking though, that's Greenwood, and you bring somebody in to take his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think Greenwood could be great too. Is it not possible that Ronaldo could bring him on even more though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

He's more likely to take that waste of space Martial's space. Same goes for Cavani, who is acting up with the international situation. With Rashford currently injured, a first choice front three of Greenwood-Ronaldo-Sancho looks alright. I guarantee Greenwood will develop more and still contribute in the present more than the situation Foden is in now where Pep claimed him to be the best talent he ever worked with yet went and signed Grealish in his position in the summer, way more of a luxury signing than Ronaldo.

At least one of Rashford, Sancho & Greenwood has to miss out every game. I'm assuming that Bruno & Ronaldo start basically every game.

Greenwood played in 52 club games last season, starting in 36 of those games. On the basis that United play 51 (38 league games, 10 CL games, one cup run) games next season and Greenwood doesn't start 1 in every 3 because of rotation with Sancho & Rashford on the wings as one has to miss out every game, Greenwood would only start 34 games all comps, which is less than last season.

And that's before you factor in Martial, James, Cavani also starting games. And Pogba keeping his current role in the attack.

Obviously Ronaldo will be an influence in the dressing room etc but his signing lessen the amount of minutes that Greenwood will play, as a winger but more importantly as a central forward.

So playing and training with Ronaldo will be of absolutely no benefit whatsoever to Greenwood then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is amazing. It's like being here in 2009 all over again with the bitterness. Greenwood is 19. It's like saying Solskjaer held back Ronaldo to say Ronaldo will hold him back. Ronaldo could do nothing at United and it would be worth it to read more of the shíte talk from some of the Liverpool lads above.

• Advertisement

I literally said that there would be a benefit. But also caveated it with the lessened playing time for Greenwood as a striker, and game time in general. Partly down to the signings of both Sancho & Ronaldo. Players don't develop sitting on the bench. Yes, they do in training but moreso in time spent playing on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Probably not in reality. He will score the goals that a combination of Cavani/Greenwood, etc, would have scored anyway. He won't be adding 25 goals on top of them. He will score different goals though like mad headers out of nowhere as he pretty much does zero pressuring or tackling these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Played the same amount of game time as Lukaku in Italy last year and finished 5 goals ahead of anyone else in the league whilst juve struggled to get 4th. In sure his conditioning will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It's a good signing for Utd. Turns all of that nostalgia in to excitement for Utd fans. It keeps the fans and ex player pundits happy for now. I expect a player of Ronaldo's calibre arriving should instill loads of belief that they can win the big prizes again among the squad.

As for on the pitch, while probably not at the peak of his powers, I still expect Ronaldo to contribute plenty of goals. United dropped points last season against teams they should be beating and it is in games against these types of teams I expect Ronaldo to nake a difference.

It has been a great window for Utd and one that should have them properly challenging for league and CL. The flip side is that there will be huge pressure on particularly Ole to deliver now and he will have to figure out a way of incorporating Ronaldo in to the team while making sure the likes of Fernandes are still as effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Ronaldo is 36 and at worst still one of the top 5 players in the world. Utd now have a front line of Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba and Martial to choose from. It's totally understandable why pool fans are in here worried about his conditioning, Greenwood's game time, the air temperature in the canteen, the dividends the owners take, the kitmans breakfast and all the other crap they will bring up.

Utd have signed Jadon Sancho, Raphael Varane and Cristiano Ronaldo in one transfer window and possibly aren't done yet. It's ok to be worried

Edit ; I even left Cavani out of the fwd line up

Post edited by NITRO95 on

But he's no Thiago....

If I remember last year he was supposed to be a fabulous signing and he ain't near the level of player that Ronaldo is...

How much of a pay off is Cavani going to get to give up the number 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think it's a great signing for Utd. Sure it's a shrewd move from the Glazer's perspective - boost the stock price with a hit of pure nostalgia. Really helps to quell any half hearted noise from the fans for a while.

But it still has value footballing wise. Ronaldo is still a brilliant player, and can be a difference maker if used correctly. He also has an aura about him. This could be something that covers up the cracks in Ole's regime. I would say they are challengers for the league where they weren't before the signing.

I don't buy the nonsense about Greenwood not getting game time or whatever. It's a club that is supposed to be challenging for league titles and European Cups. The kid can sit and wait. He'll still get 30 starts across the season.

But yeah, any attempt to detract from the signing is just sour grapes. Utd fans should rightly be excited about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He cant unless he leaves the club which Romano has ruled out as happening

Ronaldo could wear #28 (his old Sporting Lisbon number) or #9 if Martial is sold (which he wore for his 1st year at Madrid)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

With Cavani acting up over the International games it was vital to get a top striker in.

Rashford isnt a striker and is injured, Martial doesnt sem to care anymore and Greenwood is promising but young.

United have an extremely difficult few months coming up fixture wise.

They play all of last seasons top 6, in fact all of the top 8 and ten of the top 11 by the end of November.

From Sept 19th to the end of November these are the fixtures, there are very few easy ones.

West Ham Away

Villa Home

Villareal Home

Everton Home

Leicester Away

Atalanta Home

Liverpool Home

Spurs Away

Atalanta Away

City Home

Watford Away

Villareal Away

Chelsea Home

Arsenal Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

My God, someone on here offering a reasonable discussion on "the" transfer!

Outside of this, its the usual tit-for-tat between the usual suspects. I just want to see what number he's wearing.

And your post added nothing to any discussion except just more adding to that tit for tat by bringing up that tit for tat as you call it and continuing it buy having your own little dig.

His post actually commented on the fact that it was good to see reasonable points been made... no need to attack his post in my opinion.

On the whole Greenwood thing - in a way, this might be the move that gives him a chance to cement his place long term at Utd. If Ronaldo didn't come, and with Cavani leaving next summer anyway, it's likely Utd would've gone big on a forward next summer. Likely Kane the way things are working out, and I think that would have been bad for Greenwood. But with Ronaldo for two years, that buys Greenwood time to keep developing, taking on more responsibility in the second year, without having to shoulder the entire burden of goals.

The ideal thing for him, and United (though it wont happen because short term risk usually trumps long term benefits) would be to loan Greenwood out this year to give him a full season of playing and scoring goals. Then he'd come back next summer to replace Cavani, and would ultimately replace Ronaldo as lead-striker the following year. That's all if he turns out to be good enough of course.

Zouma to West Ham, £29.8m.

Good bit of business for Chelsea and West Ham get a CB who will play the majority of their games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good deal all round. West Ham could well be pushing for a European place if they can keep Antonio fit.

Well Arsenal are out of the "top 6".

So there's places there year on year in the short term for Leicester, Everton, West Ham I'd they can win circa 20 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Give him 77....be like hey you may be 7....but I'm two sevens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement