Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That Giroud one makes it seem like they won’t be investing in someone like Lukaku this summer.

Obviously Tammy will be leaving but I assume Werner isn’t going anywhere this summer and it’s not as if Tammy played even a supporting cast role under Tuchel anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Thought Arsenal were signing Buendia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Thought Arsenal were signing Buendia.

Seems he’s chosen Villa over them.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Seems he’s chosen Villa over them.

Shows how far arsenal have fallen to saw Villa are a better proposition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Advertisement

Think one of the lures of joining Villa over Arsenal would be Villa’s success rate with signing players and them improving massively, or at least their perception of them.

Arsenal obviously still a bigger club (and finished a couple of points ahead of us even in a down season), but their development project has struggled a little bit and there are obviously questions around Arteta and his future (he can’t survive a bad start imo).

The big thing for Arsenal is in Smith-Rowe, Willock and Saka they have 3 real young players for the future. Pity about their more senior players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wouldn't be surprised if Emi Martinez got in his ear too seeing as they are off with Argentina together atm. Arsenal letting him go seems a worse and worse decision every day.

Seriously looking forward to seeing him and Grealish combining next year.

Before anyone asks I don't think Grealish is going anywhere this summer considering how Covid hit clubs and Villa would be looking for circa 100m. I'd say only Man City would be an option and if they are going to drop that kind of cash on a player it'll probably be Harry Kane.

This (Beundia) is the kind of signing Villa need to be targeting to continue the progression. The squad has been built since getting back in the Premiership but they actually have money to spend but will try to add a couple of quality starters in stead of huge numbers of signings again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Serious lack of ambition from Norwich selling their best player to a rival before they've even played a minute of the new season. Looks like they've already decided they'll be going down at the end of the season and they're just cashing in now ahead of their parachute payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Zaph wrote: »
    Serious lack of ambition from Norwich selling their best player to a rival before they've even played a minute of the new season. Looks like they've already decided they'll be going down at the end of the season and they're just cashing in now ahead of their parachute payments.

In 2017/2018, Norwich finished 14th in the Championship. That summer, they sold James Maddison and bought a few players for their squad, including Buendia & Pukki. They finished 1st in the championship that season. They sold Jamal Lewis upon relegation to the Championship, but finished 1st again.

Upon promotion to the PL last time around, they famously didn't spend much money or buy many players that summer, instead letting the likes of Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Cantwell etc develop and trust in their own process of not overspending. Who's to say that they won't assemble a better equipped squad for the rigours of PL football this time?

Maybe they have a plan in place to get in some other players to help keep them in the division this time, funded by Buendia's sale. I'm not saying it will definitely be the correct one, but they obviously believe in themselves. Didn't sack their manager during the last few years etc.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1401479960821473282?s=19

Gini Wijnaldum looks to be joining PSG now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All the talk and moves around him, you'd think he was a world beater.

NIMAN wrote: »
    All the talk and moves around him, you'd think he was a world beater.

You don’t often see players of his quality get out of contract. They basically always attract big interest. Look at Herrera to PSG and Ramsey to Juve. Those same clubs probably wouldn’t have gone out and paid 50 million for the same guys under contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Wijnaldum would be a good acquisition for PSG. The likes of Rafinha, Danilo or Herrera haven't been signings good enough for a side with Champions League aspirations. At least with Wijnaldum he's been there and done it.

Leicester seem to be doing nice business:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1401882094729633792

CSF wrote: »
    You don’t often see players of his quality get out of contract. They basically always attract big interest. Look at Herrera to PSG and Ramsey to Juve. Those same clubs probably wouldn’t have gone out and paid 50 million for the same guys under contract.

Have those 2 examples proved worth it?

I know a Juve fan and the fact that Ramsay was getting 400k per week really grates with him.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Wijnaldum would be a good acquisition for PSG. The likes of Rafinha, Danilo or Herrera haven't been signings good enough for a side with Champions League aspirations. At least with Wijnaldum he's been there and done it.

Leicester seem to be doing nice business:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1401882094729633792

Édouard would be a great signing for them. Already a lot to him, and has a lot of improvement in him too. Had been hoping Liverpool might make a move for him to replace Origi, but there's never been a peep about it.

Have those 2 examples proved worth it?

I know a Juve fan and the fact that Ramsay was getting 400k per week really grates with him.:D

I think they’re decent squad depth. I don’t think Juve or PSG can hope often to get a guy on a free who will light it up as a star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Zaph wrote: »

No club can keep any player that doesnt want to stay, if a player wants to leave you have to sell them, its got nothing to do with ambition.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    No club can keep any player that doesnt want to stay, if a player wants to leave you have to sell them, its got nothing to do with ambition.

Agreed.

Mbappe will be same.
    PSG either take a pile of cash for him this summer, or he can leave for free next year.

They can claim they ain't letting him leave all they want. If he wants away, he's gone.

I think they’re decent squad depth. I don’t think Juve or PSG can hope often to get a guy on a free who will light it up as a star.

... and I can't see Wijnaldum lighting up much either.

But just my opinion.

... and I can't see Wijnaldum lighting up much either.

But just my opinion.
    I'm not disagreeing with you though, just arguing that he might not need to, to be a useful free transfer signing, even obviously with higher wages as a result of it.

An in contract (a reasonable length of contract to cover his remaining prime years) Wijnaldum, probably goes for about 30-40 million right?

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing with you though, just arguing that he might not need to, to be a useful free transfer signing, even obviously with higher wages as a result of it.

An in contract (a reasonable length of contract to cover his remaining prime years) Wijnaldum, probably goes for about 30-40 million right?

Yeah, exactly... Gini's the sort of player you need to allow your stars to be stars. It keeps the quality level of your team high across the board, instead of having giant peaks with the stars, and then big dropoffs to some of the other players.

Gini signs for PSG on 165k a week after tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Gini signs for PSG on 165k a week after tax.

What was he on at Liverpool?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    What was he on at Liverpool?

80k before tax.

Nice wee pay rise.

• Advertisement

80k before tax.

That's low enough is it not for a regular starter? Thought he would be on 120-150k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And he gets to live in Paris, a great city to be wealthy in. Best of luck to him, I expect him become a key player for PSG in no time at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That's low enough is it not for a regular starter? Thought he would be on 120-150k

Seems like he signed a 5 year contract when he joined and then he never signed an improved deal.

That was the deal he signed when he joined the club from Newcastle and it was a 5 year deal and he turned down new contract offers over the last two years so was stuck on the wage he joined the club on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

For what he'll bring to PSG that Wijnaldum contract is worth every penny. When it said doubled what Barca were offering I was expecting wild money. Barca is about 100k before tax if that is to be believed, not a whole lot more than what he was in with pool albeit a better tax system in Spain for him. PSG is a good move and he's a player that should do well under Poch

Just on the surprisingly low wages, Youri Tielemans is apparently on 33k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

JPA wrote: »
    Just on the surprisingly low wages, Youri Tielemans is apparently on 33k a week.

I'd imagine he'll be getting a significant bump this summer. Excellent player and had a good season again with Leicester. They've been savvy in the market again. That Edouard deal could potentially be great for them, very good player who's continually improved. Worked with Rodgers before too

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he'll be getting a significant bump this summer. Excellent player and had a good season again with Leicester. They've been savvy in the market again. That Edouard deal could potentially be great for them, very good player who's continually improved. Worked with Rodgers before too

If he wants to leave Leicester then he can't sign a new contract. Take the 33k for the next year or two and then get a massive signing on fee and big wages at a new club.

We're going to see a lot more players running down their contracts and clubs selling in the final year to get some sort of fee for them.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If he wants to leave Leicester then he can't sign a new contract. Take the 33k for the next year or two and then get a massive signing on fee and big wages at a new club.

We're going to see a lot more players running down their contracts and clubs selling in the final year to get some sort of fee for them.

He's definitely on more than 33k a week. I'd guess closer to 100k

He's definitely on more than 33k a week. I'd guess closer to 100k

How come?

He’s on the same contract he signed in 2019 after his loan spell, so it’s hard enough to see how he’d have been commanding near 100 grand a week at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    How come?

He’s on the same contract he signed in 2019 after his loan spell, so it’s hard enough to see how he’d have been commanding near 100 grand a week at that stage.

He signed after a very successful loan spell & turned down interest from Man Utd apparently. There is no way he would have accepted €33k a week when I’d imagine United would have been able to offer circa €100k pretty handily. He might have accepted less given the game time being offered but I’d be amazed if it wasn’t €60-80k he was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thats good value for Gini on a free transfer, its rare a player like him is available on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Chelsea could be playing Football Manager again this summer. Strong links to Haaland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Fitz* wrote: »
    Chelsea could be playing Football Manager again this summer. Strong links to Haaland now.

and saul niguez

Chelsea have reportedly asked about a potential transfer deal for Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez.

And it seems the La Liga champions are prepared to consider letting Saul leave this summer, as long as they receive an offer of around €80million for the Spain international, according to the print edition of Mundo Deportivo

i really need to stop listening to transfer gossip though. nothing good ever comes from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1402251105338331139

Don't understand this one from PSG. I wouldn't consider the goalkeeper position a problem area for them at all.

FFP is dead and buried a 22 year old goalkeeper getting 250k a week after tax.

FFP is dead and buried a 22 year old goalkeeper getting 250k a week after tax.

No transfer fee, so huge wages were expected.

Think we could see football players start to wind down contracts intentionally for the extra cash. The earning potential I'd outrageous. Imagine what haaland or mbappe would get as a wage right now if without cintract

Think we could see football players start to wind down contracts intentionally for the extra cash. The earning potential I'd outrageous. Imagine what haaland or mbappe would get as a wage right now if without cintract

Might find out next summer.

Isn't Mbappe a free agent then?

People on here have predicted he will be the 1st million per week footballer, but I think that is a little too much, but he'll easily be on 500k after tax.

• Advertisement

Might find out next summer.

Isn't Mbappe a free agent then?

Not sure but if he has only one year left I'd wager the money osg will offer for him could make neymars contract look small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement