Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Don't think they have a hugely out of line pay structure do they? Wasn't Liverpool's the highest last year for example rather than city?

Then you have the agent fees as well I suppose, not sure who pays the most in the greasing the wheels market

City was still highest last year alright, even with all the Liverpool incentives kicking in for winning the league, World Cup etc etc. The ever-excellent Swiss Ramble did a good rundown of the figures that came out in the annual accounts in April;

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1387293100046000132

With Liverpool's wages dropping back to normal for next years accounts, City will be way out on top by themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CSF wrote: »
    Neither Kane nor Mbappe are gonna be world record fees. The world record is 198 million GBP like. Even Haaland doesn’t go for that. If Mbappe had an actual contract left at PSG, he would.

Indeed
    In my head 100m was record fee levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Danny Rose joins Watford on a two year deal. Ashley Young set to rejoin Aston Villa on a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Aston Villa certainly are trying to make their mark on this summer's market. That Grealish money must be coming, to partly fund it.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1405161786006028290

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Fitz* wrote: »
    Aston Villa certainly are trying to make their mark on this summer's market. That Grealish money must be coming, to partly fund it.

Villa’s owners are rich, makes for easy clickbait 2+2=5 stories but Villa buying players does not equal Grealish leaving. They have no intention in selling him outside of a rediculous bid (same kind of money being banded about for Kane) and if anything this is the opposite with Villa showing their ambition to the likes of Grealish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I’m not sure 50ish million spending is an indication of anything really. We’ve spent more than 100 million in both of the last 2 summers. Owners are ridiculously rich. Anyone trying to join the dots with Grealish is working off pure confirmation bias.

In terms of the role within the team, Smith Rowe would be a replacement for Barkley. This isn’t a transfer I see happening though. Would be a PR disaster for Arsenal having already lost out to us on Buendia and they won’t let that happen.

I’m not sure 50ish million spending is an indication of anything really. We’ve spent more than 100 million in both of the last 2 summers. Owners are ridiculously rich. Anyone trying to join the dots with Grealish is working off pure confirmation bias.

In terms of the role within the team, Smith Rowe would be a replacement for Barkley. This isn’t a transfer I see happening though. Would be a PR disaster for Arsenal having already lost out to us on Buendia and they won’t let that happen.

Not to mention how selling Emi Martinez to Villa has gone for them, now apparently looking at Ramsdale as a Leno replacement if rumors are to be believed.

despite them looking to offload some players I can only imagine their fans would be back with their Kroenke out protests if they sold one of their young stars to Villa now when they should be adding players like that if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Athletico reject a bid from Man U for Trippier, wanting at least €40m

Didnt think United needed another FB?

Not to mention how selling Emi Martinez to Villa has gone for them, now apparently looking at Ramsdale as a Leno replacement if rumors are to be believed.

If they sign Ramsdale to replace Leno then the transformation to full-blown banter club will have been complete.

Possibly is. I just think that Villa targeting a couple attacking midfielders is a sure sign that they are looking to bring in replacements for their most biggest asset who is also an attacking midfielder. We see it a lot, where a replacement is signed before the big player is sold.

It certainly will be an attractive proposition for Villa if they spend big money, and manage to keep a hold of Grealish too.

• Advertisement

Possibly is. I just think that Villa targeting a couple attacking midfielders is a sure sign that they are looking to bring in replacements for their most biggest asset who is also an attacking midfielder. We see it a lot, where a replacement is signed before the big player is sold.

It certainly will be an attractive proposition for Villa if they spend big money, and manage to keep a hold of Grealish too.

You gotta plan for that possibility but that is also the one position Villa needed to upgrade on the most.

He actually ended up chipping in with a decent haul of goals last season but a player like El Ghazi has no place starting in a premiership team with ambitions like Villa, while Barkley was always going to need replacing / improving upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

retalivity wrote: »

If they sign Ramsdale to replace Leno then the transformation to full-blown banter club will have been complete.

Would be cover for AWB on the RB position. At 40million they can take a run and jump though.

retalivity wrote: »

Does Ramsdale have a dosier of club owners and managers dirty secrets or something? Keeps getting relegated, and yet his value seems to just continue going up!

If another team was signing RBs and CBs, would you be thinking that would mean they were gonna lose their LB though?

I’m absolutely not saying that Grealish can’t go this Summer, but thinking that a club (who has spent about 250 million) over the last 2 years, putting in a 25 million bid for a player (who’d play in a different position for us than Grealish) means Grealish is leaving is pure confirmation bias.

Barkley and Traore were our 2 weakest starters last summer and these were always the highest priority positions to sign players.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Does Ramsdale have a dosier of club owners and managers dirty secrets or something? Keeps getting relegated, and yet his value seems to just continue going up!

Leno isn’t even that bad. Ramsdale is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal aren't signing Ramsdale to replace Leno. People really will believe anything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Arsenal go for Ramsdale you'd assume it'd be as backup?

Replacing Leno with Ramsdale makes 0 sense.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

AdamD wrote: »
    Arsenal aren't signing Ramsdale to replace Leno. People really will believe anything

Did Arsenal not release Ryan? Surely he's a replacement for him?

GLaDOS wrote: »
    If Arsenal go for Ramsdale you'd assume it'd be as backup?

Replacing Leno with Ramsdale makes 0 sense.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did Arsenal not release Ryan? Surely he's a replacement for him?

Given that Ramsdale joined Sheffield Utd just last season for 19 million, that'd be a very expensive backup keeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Off to Sevilla you’d imagine?

• Advertisement

If another team was signing RBs and CBs, would you be thinking that would mean they were gonna lose their LB though?

I’m absolutely not saying that Grealish can’t go this Summer, but thinking that a club (who has spent about 250 million) over the last 2 years, putting in a 25 million bid for a player (who’d play in a different position for us than Grealish) means Grealish is leaving is pure confirmation bias.

Barkley and Traore were our 2 weakest starters last summer and these were always the highest priority positions to sign players.

Yeah I can understand what you're saying. Maybe this is just going to be a statement summer for Villa. As you have said, they have spent largely in the last couple of summers, and have upgraded in some key areas in recent years.

Signings like Martinez were smart and I think Douglas Luis, Watkins & Konsa have proved a lot of people wrong, myself included. I think Villa could do with upgrading on Mings myself but he could do for another seasons the same time but will need to be replaced eventually.

Buendia & ESR certainly would be upgraded on current players. A very smart profile of player too. The next step in the natural progression would to be sign a superstar in the making, and convince him to sign for a few years before moving on to a tip European side. Something like a Coutinho from Inter to Liverpool in 2012

Johner wrote: »
    Off to Sevilla you’d imagine?

I thought he was set for Miami (Beckhams team)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rafa looks set to take over as Everton manager, good move for both I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Rafa looks set to take over as Everton manager, good move for both I think

Very sensible but brave move from both parties. The fans will need to be won over.

JPA wrote: »
    Very sensible but brave move from both parties. The fans will need to be won over.

Only in the wider fan-diaspora I think. Any Liverpool based Everton fans would likely be fine with it given just how much he and his wife have done for the city over the past 15+ years (absolutely loads and loads of charity stuff).

Only in the wider fan-diaspora I think. Any Liverpool based Everton fans would likely be fine with it given just how much he and his wife have done for the city over the past 15+ years (absolutely loads and loads of charity stuff).

You're giving football fans too much credit!
    They can admire the man and dislike the manager. And do they do dislike him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Absolute nonsense. No everton fan wants him.

JPA wrote: »
    You're giving football fans too much credit!
    They can admire the man and dislike the manager. And do they do dislike him.
    eh i dunno wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. No everton fan wants him.

Yeah, I mean it depends on their reason for not wanting him. What I'm referring to is the thing of fans not wanting someone previously connected with a rival - I don't think that will be an issue for local fans.

But sure, I'm sure some won't like his style - or at least what they think of as his style from his time at Newcastle. Had some brilliant attacking teams at Liverpool and Napoli. He's a pragmatist - if attacking football suits the players, he'll play it. If they don't have the quality for that, he'll keep things tight.

I think he'll win them over though. Terrific manager, a name that'll keep their bigger players and entice new ones, and they've a decent squad already in place for him to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I really don't think he'll get a game without getting abuse. Immature fans (a huge percentage of fans) aren't going to give a fiddlers what he has done for charities in the city. He'll be getting it from the first home game.

Fromvert wrote: »
    I really don't think he'll get a game without getting abuse. Immature fans (a huge percentage of fans) aren't going to give a fiddlers what he has done for charities in the city. He'll be getting it from the first home game.

Maybe you're right, and I'm just giving fans a bit too much credit.

Be a massive shame if that happens, clearly a really good guy, with a family deeply embedded in Liverpool for nearly 20 years. His kids are all scousers, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Maybe you're right, and I'm just giving fans a bit too much credit.

Be a massive shame if that happens, clearly a really good guy, with a family deeply embedded in Liverpool for nearly 20 years. His kids are all scousers, like.

I think he'd do a very good job and Everton are in a good position to push on (solid team and money), but he's a red and his family are red. They hated Koeman for having a red decorations on a Christmas tree. The colour red at Christmas sent them wild!

There will also be a group of Liverpool fans in Liverpool that won't like this. He's on the banners in the stadium, they won't like that. It gets billed as a 'family derby' but there is real animosity between certain sections of both support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Spurs fans never accepted fully george graham at Spurs, even though theres only been 1 trophy winning manager since he won the league cup in 99 !
    Personally i could never accept those that have played for near rivals previously... Gallas, Adebayor etc or even Rohan Ricketts ....... :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gattuso quits as Fiorentina manager after 22 days another managers job available now.

Gattuso quits as Fiorentina manager after 22 days another managers job available now.

because the Fiorentina owners didnt want to work with his (super) agent Jorge Mendes, or any agents linked to mendes over targets and the commissions involved !
    Well done Fiorentina !

Danny Rose signs for Watford on a two year deal.

Ashley Young in talks with Villa to return to England on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

Spurs new Italian DOF having a bit of a Mare trying to sign a manager that's Conte and now Fonseca who got close only to walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

when will the transfer merry go round start? enough of the managers.

re rafa, the everton fans just need to ask themselves is he the best manager they can get and will he give it 100%. forget about the rivalry. utd fans would love pep. everton fans would love klopp.

same goes for VVD and Dias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Spurs new Italian DOF having a bit of a Mare trying to sign a manager that's Conte and now Fonseca who got close only to walk away.

they obviously didnt like what they heard.

either kane stays and you have 15m to spent.
    sell kane and you have 45m to spend or something like that.

eddie howe or scott parker it'll end up being

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say it's Levy intervening.

It's all about the £££, simple as

Hmm..
    Gattuso, whose agent in Mendes walks away from Fiorentina due to financial difficulties...
    Mourinho , whose agent is also mendes ... Mendes told mourinho not to take the Spurs job as it was a"complicated club" ....

Gattuso would hardly go to the Lane ....

I think i'll send in my CV to Baldy danny ......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

https://twitter.com/AlasdairGold/status/1405543475672588296?s=20

Club moved onto Gattuso as he was apparently Paratici's first choice. Once he walked from Fiorentina, they moved for him at the last minute, to the utter disbelief of Fonseca and his team.

Absolute shambles, and makes everyone involved look like absolute idiots.

I thought Dundalk had the title of "Craziest Managerial Circus" secured for this summer but Spurs might get that title yet.

• Advertisement

I think Daka will be a good signing for Leicester. Getting a nice Vardy replacement in now and phase the 2 in/out with the security of a settling in phase.

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1405517401534332929?s=19

Tomori joins Milan for £30m after the trigger there option to buy him from his loan deal.

https://twitter.com/acmilan/status/1405503522192478209?s=20

Wolves sign Yerson Mosquera for £4.5m from Atletico Nacional

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1405510596230103050?s=20

Wolves sign Yerson Mosquera for £4.5m from Atletico Nacional

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1405510596230103050?s=20

Wonder who is agent is or is connected to…

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement