Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Could Spurs actually afford the wages of those players without breaking there wage structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Kane & Grealish to City for £100m each plus players or players totaling £100m.

City made it know last month they want rid of Sterling, Laporte, Jesus & Mahrez.

The clubs would be better off with the £100m+ in cash to be honest.

As a Villa fan, those players would never join Villa. Cold hard cash only, even then I don't think it will happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Can't see why a player like Sterling would want to join Spurs nor could I imagine them being able to afford the wages he would probably ask for.

Out of that list maybe Jesus would move so as to be a starter somewhere as he won't be that at City if they sign Kane and argueably might not be half the time even if they don't.

I would think that it might be hard for clubs to shift players at the top end of the talent pile altogether as when you think about it teams like Juve, Barca & Real are in financial trouble and won't be signing someone unless they are free in most cases, I doubt City would want to strengthen a rival like Liverpool, Chelsea or Utd & PSG can't sign everyone. So who can afford big name players and their wages that the players would actually join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

very difficult too low ball someone like Daniel Levy when he knows he's negotiating with the United Arab Emirates. I have a feeling the sale will go through for a lot more than 100 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Those player swap deals never happen. Eto and Ibra is the only high profile one I can remember.

• Advertisement

Harry Kane for £50m cash plus a UAE 10 year £100m a year sponsorship of White Hart Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't see the point in hanging on to Kane at this stage. Spurs have shot their shot. If they couldn't win major trophies during Pochettino's time, with all the other good players around him, they're not going to do it now that their squad is much poorer. They don't need the best striker in the league to finish in the top 8.

Similar problem with Aubamayang being kept at Arsenal, although I don't think Kane will fade as badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Harry Kane for £50m cash plus a UAE 10 year £100m a year sponsorship of White Hart Lane.

That's the kind of thinking that gets rewarded at City!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    Those player swap deals never happen. Eto and Ibra is the only high profile one I can remember.

And when they do happen, it tends to involve clubs of a similar level, so neither player is taking a step down - like the Eto’o/Ibra one, or last years Pjanic/Arthur swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Still don't think Grealish will move, a local lad who seems happy with Villa, Villa don't need the money are are showing plenty of ambition.

is Grealish that much better than Mahrez anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't see the point in hanging on to Kane at this stage. Spurs have shot their shot. If they couldn't win major trophies during Pochettino's time, with all the other good players around him, they're not going to do it now that their squad is much poorer. They don't need the best striker in the league to finish in the top 8.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. You don't see why a team that wants to win a trophy and get back into the Champions League would want to keep their star player? Haven't won a trophy in a while, so may as well not bother to try and win one ever again.

You can argue that the owners ambitions don't match Kane's if you want, but saying we should sell him because we didn't win a trophy under Poch is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kiith wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's nonsense. You don't see why a team that wants to win a trophy and get back into the Champions League would want to keep their star player? Haven't won a trophy in a while, so may as well not bother to try and win one ever again.

You can argue that the owners ambitions don't match Kane's if you want, but saying we should sell him because we didn't win a trophy under Poch is crazy.

Why sack Jose a few days before a final if you want to win a trophy? He has a far better chance to actually win that trophy than Mason.

Spurs want to keep getting top 4 and making money. Trophies are second to that. It's similar to United.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Why sack Jose a few days before a final if you want to win a trophy? He has a far better chance to actually win that trophy than Mason.

Spurs want to keep getting top 4 and making money. Trophies are second to that. It's similar to United.
    I've no idea why they sacked him before the final. Makes **** all sense. But even with that, selling Kane doesn't help the team get back into a CL position.

Especially since it seems City offered £85 million plus addons, and they were rightly told to **** right off.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/1406980130736590849?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

loyatemu wrote: »

Well I mean he is 5 years younger for a start and of course he is English. Don't think they are like for like anyway, very different players.

Big fan of both to be honest, but class players but I think Grealish has a higher ceiling.

I've no idea why they sacked him before the final. Makes **** all sense. But even with that, selling Kane doesn't help the team get back into a CL position.

Especially since it seems City offered £85 million plus addons, and they were rightly told to **** right off.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/1406980130736590849?s=19

All depends on if they can get enough money that they can strengthen elsewhere in ways that give you a better overall team. We saw the difference a big money sale made to Liverpool in being able to push them on to the next level.

But of course you have to spend well, and they've been burned before by not using the Bale money as well as it could have been.

Spurs' other players are decent, but you can't have an entire squad of just decent players and expect to get anywhere. I don't get the sense that they can give Kane the squad that would allow the club to actually leverage his talent to achieve anything. They're supposedly skint. Can they sign the maybe 7 or 8 players needed to turn Spurs into something that could maybe spend 2 or 3 years in the CL and give them the chance to win something again? I don't see how. Not in the timeframe of Kane's prime.

So what you end up doing is delaying the rebuild of the squad, funneling more and more money into the lopsided attacking end of the pitch, to bribe players to play beneath the level they could be playing at, and ending up with valueless assets at the end of it, which leaves you without the capital to get going again.

The niche of a lot of clubs (and I generally include Liverpool in this, although it remains to be seen what they'll look like post Klopp with the strides that have been made on the business side), has to be about cycles of finding good young talent, building them up, and then selling them for a profit to restart again. Sometimes that works (Coutinho). Sometimes it doesn't (Suarez, Torres).

Unfortunately they didn't take their chances in the CL and the PL, because they really weren't far off from either on a couple of occasions, but that's the way it goes.

I don't see keeping Kane as ambitious. What's the ambition with Kane? Will the club actually do anything with him there? If they're going to spend 100m a year for 3 years then great. I'm not convinced. Conversely, if they make the statement that they can sell Kane because they trust the academy, the scouting, the selection of a manager, or whatever, to do what they couldn't with just Kane, than that actually is ambitious.

That said, they should be looking for closer to 150m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Kane isnt worth any more than whats being offered. I cant think of any teams that would pay more. So what happens now? Spurs either sell or are left with a disgruntled kane. If levy think hes getting 150 or anything close to it hes deluded. He likely more than happy to keep kane and only one loser in all this and thats kane himself. He will spend the rest of his career carrying spurs.

my instinct would be not to accept the multi-billionaire's first offer

City are the only buyer and that's where he wants to go. Levy will have to do business with them.
    Kane was some idiot signing a new contract without cast iron clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

Hakan Calhanoglu joining Inter on a free from Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

If I was a Spurs fan and thought Levy would spend the money well then I would say bite there hands off as you will not get that money again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

loyatemu wrote: »

Yes

POKERKING wrote: »
    Kane isnt worth any more than whats being offered. I cant think of any teams that would pay more. So what happens now? Spurs either sell or are left with a disgruntled kane. If levy think hes getting 150 or anything close to it hes deluded. He likely more than happy to keep kane and only one loser in all this and thats kane himself. He will spend the rest of his career carrying spurs.

He's probably in the top 3 strikers in the world (I think it's a toss up between him, Lukaku and Lewandowski). You don't get those with chickenfeed. Most teams wouldn't bother trying to sign him because he'd be unobtainable.

What he's worth is what someone's willing to pay. Lewandowski was worth an awful lot more than the nothing that Bayern paid for him. Kane is on the opposite end of the spectrum. He's just signed a contract recently.

Spurs aren't here to do City favours. If they sell Kane, it's because they think the money they get in, wages saved, player not getting cranky, etc, is worth it on balance.

Both sides can't get a good deal here. The trick is making the other side think they got a good deal, when they didn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am surprised City are in for Kane at the money he will cost.

Kane is not of the profile or age that would normally be associated with such a big money move by City he is 28 next month. De Bruyne was 24, Sterling was 20, Dias 23. Laporte 23, Rodri 23.

Comparable transfers by others are Hazard, Griezmann, Higuain who are/were all disappointments. When you buy an older player they also carry a lot of mileage and there is a significant possibility their performance trend may be about to fall off.

The closest City one would be Mahrez, who was a lower tier of signing (at 27) and he might already be someone they look to move on.

I suspect most Utd fans would hope not or failing that, that it is brought to a swift conclusion either way.

DM_7 wrote: »

Kane is not of the profile or age that would normally be associated with such a big money move by City he is 28 next month. De Bruyne was 24, Sterling was 20, Dias 23. Laporte 23, Rodri 23.

Comparable transfers by others are Hazard, Griezmann, Higuain who are/were all disappointments. When you buy an older player they also carry a lot of mileage and there is a significant possibility their performance trend may be about to fall off.

The closest City one would be Mahrez, who was a lower tier of signing (at 27) and he might already be someone they look to move on.

To be blunt, it's about trying to buy the CL. Money doesn't matter to the club. They have to more or less hit some piss-weak FFP targets, but the value to those running the club of being tied to this sort of nominally "perfect football" venture, with Pep Guardiola leading them to domination of European football, probably doesn't have a price too high for them to pay.

While I said you don't get strikers like Kane with chickenfeed, to Abu Dhabi, 150m is chickenfeed. You can probably find it down the back of the couch in one of their palaces.

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Will poba stay at man United and sign new contract you think?

I don't see the point in doing so for either party, so given how Utd are generally run these days, I assume he'll be signing a new 5 year 500k a week contract shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DM_7 wrote: »

I think with Kane and his tendency already to drop deep there's less risk of his value nosediving. He seems to me a Sheringham type that could contribute even when his legs go. The way City play, most of their opponents are camped near their own box, so just having him there to receive it and pop off shots would be a threat in itself. I'd also expect they'd be able to manage his fitness better than Spurs where the tendency was if he was fit, he played.

2 or 3 seasons of similar goal returns to previous years and a Champions League would make the fee well worth it imo.

• Advertisement

Lopetegui turned down a huge offer from Spurs according to the Sevilla president.

This is comedy gold from Levy.

Potter is now the next favorite for the job.

This is comedy gold from Levy.

No, it's not :(

Palace who have half a squad looking like they are going to get the managerial signing of the summer in the Premier League they are now favorite to sign Lucien Favre now as reports starting to appear that he has agreed terms.

Spurs and Everton still be without a manager.

Palace who have half a squad looking like they are going to get the managerial signing of the summer in the Premier League they are now favorite to sign Lucien Favre now as reports starting to appear that he has agreed terms.

Spurs and Everton still be without a manager.

Isn't Rafa going to Everton? I really think that will be a fantastic appointment, he could end up been as loved on the blue side as the red. The perfect long term manager for them.

Isn't Rafa going to Everton? I really think that will be a fantastic appointment, he could end up been as loved on the blue side as the red. The perfect long term manager for them.

Seems like fan reluctance may have made the club back off that one.

Mad that so many clubs still haven't sorted themselves out though. Would imagine all this pushes back their transfer dealings too. Fairly important for a new manager to get their preseason with as much of their squad as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I can see Ryan Mason getting the Spurs gig by default.

Favre to Palace.
    Everton crawl back and pick up Nuno ceding to his demands.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I can see Ryan Mason getting the Spurs gig by default.

Favre to Palace.
    Everton crawl back and pick up Nuno ceding to his demands.

I think Mason was too bad in his caretaker spell to get that. They will work further and further down their list and appoint someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This is probably a deal that gets done now. Arsenal will have invested a large amount on CBs in the last few seasons now.
    ~£130m in the last 4 seasons on CBs.

White £50m
    Gabriel £24m
    Pablo Mari £7m
    Saliba £27m
    David Luiz £8m
    Sokratis £14m

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1408066140866191367

50 million is a lot. It’s not that long ago since Villa were being questioned for spending 20 on Mings. Van Dijk was 75 million 3 years ago, but eh this one is a guy who is 4th choice CB for his national team (and this isn’t even a one of the decisions I’ve seen many questioning)

White is a good player but feels like Brighton have seen Arsenal coming a mile off.

Jesus 50m I thought prices were supposed to fall. Didn't really stand out for me last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

White is very good and there's not a lot of good CBs around these days. In the pandemic driven market you'd think he would be a little less than 50m but from a fellow PL team it's not an outrageous fee. He is still young and could go and take the next step at Arsenal quite easily.

I'd rate him a good bit better than the likes of Mings who isn't ever far away from a mistake.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    White is very good and there's not a lot of good CBs around these days. In the pandemic driven market you'd think he would be a little less than 50m but from a fellow PL team it's not an outrageous fee. He is still young and could go and take the next step at Arsenal quite easily.

I'd rate him a good bit better than the likes of Mings who isn't ever far away from a mistake.

Mings is error prone, but he does the typical physical English CB stuff much better than White. I wouldn’t get sucked too far into an argument over who is better between those 2 (Konsa is better than both IMO).

But I’m not really seeing comparable transfers in the market for a 23 year old CB (or any defensive player really), with 1 season of top flight football to his name, and minimal international experience and no European experience.

White looks talented and will improve Arsenal I think, but 50 million feels like what you pay for the finished article. It’s the same fee as was paid for Chilwell last summer for instance (who is less than a year older).

CSF wrote: »
    Mings is error prone, but he does the typical physical English CB stuff much better than White. I wouldn’t get sucked too far into an argument over who is better between those 2 (Konsa is better than both IMO).

But I’m not really seeing comparable transfers in the market for a 23 year old CB (or any defensive player really), with 1 season of top flight football to his name, and minimal international experience and no European experience.

White looks talented and will improve Arsenal I think, but 50 million feels like what you pay for the finished article. It’s the same fee as was paid for Chilwell last summer for instance (who is less than a year older).

Liverpool have signed Konate for about £35m, sure he's not prem proven but he has played at a high level at RBL and in the CL.

With the english premium its probably about right the fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

White has played in 2 ball playing teams now the last couple of years and done well in both. Brighton with a bit more luck and a better conversion rate last season would have looked a lot better on the table. They have a good group of players that you would have to justify a big fee to break up their defence.

I just think he's looked a potential star when I've seen him the last couple of seasons and at the age where CBs generally look to make a big step forward. Kinda definitely looks good but I don't think he's gotten the same football education as White will have gotten from Bielsa and Potter to suit the likes of Arsenal. They're probably in that area of now having to overpay to get players to play for them as they are trying to get back to the top 4 level rather than dining at the top table.

Liverpool have signed Konate for about £35m, sure he's not prem proven but he has played at a high level at RBL and in the CL.

With the english premium its probably about right the fee.

I mean, this is another 50% on top of that, for a guy who I don’t remember too many complaining about when he didn’t make the original England squad until Trent got injured.

Liam O wrote: »
    White has played in 2 ball playing teams now the last couple of years and done well in both. Brighton with a bit more luck and a better conversion rate last season would have looked a lot better on the table. They have a good group of players that you would have to justify a big fee to break up their defence.

I just think he's looked a potential star when I've seen him the last couple of seasons and at the age where CBs generally look to make a big step forward. Kinda definitely looks good but I don't think he's gotten the same football education as White will have gotten from Bielsa and Potter to suit the likes of Arsenal. They're probably in that area of now having to overpay to get players to play for them as they are trying to get back to the top 4 level rather than dining at the top table.

To clarify, my argument is definitely not that White isn’t a good player with potential to be a better player. Rather that 50 million is not a figure I would have expected to see paid for a nearly 24 year old CB who isn’t already an elite player.

This will make him the 5th most expensive CB in Premier League history (yeah I know inflation means comparisons don’t work with 10 years ago) behind Van Dijk, Maguire, Dias and Laporte. I believe De Ligt is the only CB from outside the Premier League to exceed this fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I mean, this is another 50% on top of that, for a guy who I don’t remember too many complaining about when he didn’t make the original England squad until Trent got injured.

Tbf I think most were wondering WTF 4 RB and 2 LB were doing in it to care about another CB :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf I think most were wondering WTF 4 RB and 2 LB were doing in it to care about another CB :pac:

Haha, possibly fair, but Coady was in there ahead of him even. I think White has potential but I’ve no idea how he sits in the same transfer bracket as the players I listed in my post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

White played for a year under Bielsa. That probably stands to him as much as a couple of years in the league

Irish Under 21 player Nathan Collins joins Burnley from Stoke for £12m becoming the most expensive Irish uncapped player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Haha, possibly fair, but Coady was in there ahead of him even. I think White has potential but I’ve no idea how he sits in the same transfer bracket as the players I listed in my post above.

White is a ball playing centre back. Southgate is not someone interested in a ball playing centre back.

Southgate has left trent out of squads as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement