Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless or flats?

Options
  • 24-05-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of mtb'ers now using clipless pedals instead of flats and swear by them. They claim they are much safer, particularly on really rough descents where on flats there's the chance losing grip completely. I would have thought flats to be safer since you're not locked in and can dab straightaway if needed instead of having to release? I'm probably going to give them a go but was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the clipless v flats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Wailin wrote: »
    I see a lot of mtb'ers now using clipless pedals instead of flats and swear by them. They claim they are much safer, particularly on really rough descents where on flats there's the chance losing grip completely. I would have thought flats to be safer since you're not locked in and can dab straightaway if needed instead of having to release? I'm probably going to give them a go but was wondering what peoples thoughts are on the clipless v flats?

Another older thread on this here:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057924949/1/#post108507070

I alternate between the two now. Clipless, when set up properly, are a cinch to get out of. Dabbing barely suffers. Defo prefer clipless for jumping and rough trails.

Flats, with good shoes and pedals, can be dead grippy too.

I think it's personal preference, but I wouldn't discount clipless based on the fear of not being able to un-clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Chees steamsey. What type of clipless pedals would you recommend? I was thinking the platform type where if I don't manage to clip in quickly I can still pedal if I have to. Something like these shimano saints?

51201511164_159b3d994c_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Clippless all the way. Once you get used to them they are so much better for climbing and lifting the bike with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

steamsey wrote: »
    Another older thread on this here:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057924949/1/#post108507070

I alternate between the two now. Clipless, when set up properly, are a cinch to get out of. Dabbing barely suffers. Defo prefer clipless for jumping and rough trails.

Flats, with good shoes and pedals, can be dead grippy too.

I think it's personal preference, but I wouldn't discount clipless based on the fear of not being able to un-clip.

Same as, alternate between the two depending on the mood. Currently back on flats but only for the sole reason that i wanted to mess around more, practicing wheelies, manuals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Used to use clipless, now prefer flats. With good quality pins on the pedals and a good quality shoe with sticky flat undersole (such as Five Tens), the grip is sufficient on the flats in my experience and I don't notice any difference when climbing. I find the flats better for learning stuff on too. For one thing, the flats forced me into having my bodyweight over the pedals all the time whereas the clipless allowed me to have my bodyweight too far in front of or behind the pedals and still feel like I was connected to the bike. Which resulted in quite a few hairy moments on the bike. Also for tricky obstacles where I've had to retry a few times, the flats were easier to hop on the bike and get going with, whereas the clipless required a long back up to find terrain where I could clip in and get rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I think its going the other way, literally everyone used to use spds a good few years back, now loads of enduro style flats with specific shoes.

I've never gone back to trying flats (still using old spds) but once you're used to them you can dab just as quickly and getting clipped in is a diddle in 95% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

I think the major argument against clipless is that if you start off using them you learn bad habits like incorrect bunny hopping (pulling with your feet).

Whereas learning on flats teaches you to hop the bike correctly by transferring your bodyweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Bot1 wrote: »
    I think the major argument against clipless is that if you start off using them you learn bad habits like incorrect bunny hopping (pulling with your feet).

Whereas learning on flats teaches you to hop the bike correctly by transferring your bodyweight.

This is very true, I can’t bunny hop properly without clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Ignore spds with a platform - only work if you have soft enough soles to reach the platform past the spd part, you are effectively tip toeing on the spd part so might as well have the lighter/cheaper ones with no platform and a stiff enough shoe to transfer the power through the spds in the first place.

I think flats are better for the folk doing the more lairy stuff involving leaving the ground and spds for the folk that prefer to treat gravity with a bit of respect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Chees steamsey. What type of clipless pedals would you recommend? I was thinking the platform type where if I don't manage to clip in quickly I can still pedal if I have to. Something like these shimano saints?

51201511164_159b3d994c_c.jpg

I like the Shimano DX. The platform can be useful if you miss a clip in and have to keep going. Pretty rugged and durable. I do zero maintainence on them other than cleaning with the rest of the bike and the odd lube. Think my current pair is 4 years old and not a bother on them.

They work very well in almost all conditions, but, for example, in a really muddy Enduro like the first Mount Leister Enduro, they can get clogged up but I'm talking mud bath conditions. I doubt other pedals would do much better but can't say for sure.

I had one bad pedal years ago that failed (axle) after a short bit of use, out of the 3 sets of these I've had on different bikes so overall, and considering they've all been badly abused, I'm very happy with them. They are the only ones I've tried for any length of time so you might get some different ideas from others...

I'd say those Saints would do the job too.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/pedals-products/shimano-dx-m647-clipless-pedals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cheers steamsey. I went ahead and got the saints from bike24. A lot cheaper than CRC, €95 compared to €135. Arrived today (took the plunge before starting this thread) and seem well built and solid, a bit on the heavy side. Also got a pair of shimano AM9 shoes to go with the pedals. Will give them a go tomorrow on some easy coilte trails before I try anything natural.

Advertisement