Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with neighbour

Options
  • 24-05-2021 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

My nephew’s neighbour had their house raided and drugs were found in the house. The house is a social house and they family are still living there despite a fairly substantial qty of drugs being found on the premises. My nephew and his wife don’t want to broach the subject with the council as they were informed previously that they would need to lodge a formal complaint and their names would be on the complaint. This is obviously something they are not comfortable in doing.

What is the process here for getting the neighbours out of the house? They have been in contact with the guards because the guards are confidential and they were told that the council let the houses on a yearly basis and the guards will be letting the council know what has happened. If this is the case, how are the family still living there? He’s obviously annoyed and upset but doesn’t want to bring trouble to his own door and wants to keep his and his wife’s name out of it.

Comments

How are they as neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Motivator wrote:
    My nephew’s neighbour had their house raided and drugs were found in the house. The house is a social house and they family are still living there despite a fairly substantial qty of drugs being found on the premises. My nephew and his wife don’t want to broach the subject with the council as they were informed previously that they would need to lodge a formal complaint and their names would be on the complaint. This is obviously something they are not comfortable in doing.

They are innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law so if using the drug raid as a stick to beat them with then you'll have to wait until the conviction

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Where they are living is not the problem that the State has, it's their alleged behaviour so what do you expect the authorities to do pretrial, if there will be one.
    They just wont move them to another area as its wont solve the behaviour

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Your nephew doesn't get to choose his neighbours. He has gone to the Gardai, he has the option of the anti social behaviour unit of the Council/housing agency if there is actual antisocial behaviour, the only other option is the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your nephew needs to focus on what actual problems the neighbours are causing him.

Also - where does he expect the tenants to go? Moving them to another estate will just make them someone else's neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Your nephew needs to focus on what actual problems the neighbours are causing him.

Also - where does he expect the tenants to go? Moving them to another estate will just make them someone else's neighbours.

They were selling drugs out of their house. My nephew was in work one night and a car full of scumbags pulled up outside his house and knocked on his door trying to buy drugs. Scared the **** out of his wife.

Who cares where the tenants go? They are criminals, why would he care where they go? The case will go to trial alright but god knows how long that could take. They should be out of the house and out on their ear. My nephew and his wife paid a lot of money for their house and when that case goes to trial and ends up in the paper then his house then becomes seriously devalued.

There will be serious disappointment if he is found not guilty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Motivator wrote: »
    My nephew and his wife paid a lot of money for their house and when that case goes to trial and ends up in the paper then his house then becomes seriously devalued.
    This is one reason why I'd prefer not to buy a house in an estate.

Anyway, doubt the tenant will get evicted. They may move if they get raided a few more times, but if your nephew is the reason for the raids and the scumbag find out, your nephews house could get torched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

the_syco wrote: »
    This is one reason why I'd prefer not to buy a house in an estate.

Anyway, doubt the tenant will get evicted. They may move if they get raided a few more times, but if your nephew is the reason for the raids and the scumbag find out, your nephews house could get torched.

No they aren’t the reason for the raids but they saw it happen. Limerick Co Council need to crack down on this type of behaviour it’s sickening to leave people away with it.

No they aren’t the reason for the raids but they saw it happen. Limerick Co Council need to crack down on this type of behaviour it’s sickening to leave people away with it.

It hasn't even gone to court yet, who is getting away with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They were selling drugs out of their house. My nephew was in work one night and a car full of scumbags pulled up outside his house and knocked on his door trying to buy drugs. Scared the **** out of his wife.

Who cares where the tenants go? They are criminals, why would he care where they go? The case will go to trial alright but god knows how long that could take. They should be out of the house and out on their ear. My nephew and his wife paid a lot of money for their house and when that case goes to trial and ends up in the paper then his house then becomes seriously devalued.

I wouldnt like that.

Imagine a hit man they got the wrong house instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Even if one householder is convicted it doesn't mean the whole family will be evicted. OP I think you have unrealistic expectations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Are they planning on selling their house anytime soon, because if not - then the value of their house is irrelevant really.

You don't know what they are though - for all you know they could be gardai informants, or undercover cops trying to catch a particular person. You said drugs were found on the premises - that doesn't mean those in the house own them - maybe someone brought them over and left them there, maybe there is a threat over a family member and they agreed to hold the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Sorry to say it but I think the other posters are right. Theres not much your nephew could do. I had a similar issue and I know how much stress it can cause. But I think there is not much point dwelling on this as I dont think he has many options other than waiting to see how it pans out or possibly moving himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭atilladehun

We had a similar issue nearly 20 years ago now. Nothing we could do. Garda were camped outside the house undercover art times. It was horrendous. My sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Caranica wrote: »
    Even if one householder is convicted it doesn't mean the whole family will be evicted. OP I think you have unrealistic expectations here.

I know of a nice estate in Greystones that has very similar issue.
    One family moved in by the council have ruined the whole neighborhood.
    Some houses up for sale now in the place and the poor buyers wont jnow what they are letting themselves in for until its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Had the same in kildare Town. Sound though to be fair, plus the presence of the gardai deterred any wrong doing in the immediate locality. He use to look after my dog and cat when they escaped the back garden. 10/10 neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@ OP,

Your nephew can start to log any anti social behaviour from the tenants of the rented house and contact the Garda to give a statement and make a complaint to the local council also about anti social behaviour.

Your nephew could install 2 cctv cameras at the front of his house for evidential purposes.

If there is a residents association , the more complaint that go in against the family the more pressure the council will be under to evict them.

This is how we got rid of a scum bag family on our road a few years ago.

The residents all came together.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/anti_social_behaviour_by_adults.html#

Tbf, the OP hasn't actually listed any behavioural issues, apart from the fact that Gardai searched the house, there is no evidence of the neighbors doing anything to disturb his nephew or the neighborhood
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I know they are dealing but unless they have made threats against your nephew they should stay out of it.

Their clients knocked on the their door, when they were told wrong house, did leave? Did they cause trouble? Probably not.

The courts will deal with them and in all probability one of them will go to jail the rest will stay and when the other is released they'll be back.

If your nephew kick up a fuss they could bring a world of trouble on themself. What if they get raided again and they lose a few grands worth of drugs belonging to somebody else they could blame your nephew and they could come looking for it back from them. These are serious criminals or are mixed up with serious criminals so keep out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Have neighbours below me under a duplex. Always have window screen open when you go down the steps. Going for wine is an ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

bubblypop wrote: »
    Tbf, the OP hasn't actually listed any behavioural issues, apart from the fact that Gardai searched the house, there is no evidence of the neighbors doing anything to disturb his nephew or the neighborhood
    :)

I think dealing drugs would be enough to classify as anti social behaviour.

Its clear that the house has a marker on it from a Garda intel point of view.

If there are cars coming and going at all hours.

Once a dealer always a dealer imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

What is the process here for getting the neighbours out of the house? They have been in contact with the guards because the guards are confidential and they were told that the council let the houses on a yearly basis and the guards will be letting the council know what has happened. If this is the case, how are the family still living there? He’s obviously annoyed and upset but doesn’t want to bring trouble to his own door and wants to keep his and his wife’s name out of it.

Doesn't sound like too big a deal, you will just have to get on with it not much he can do.

Advertisement