Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol on line

Options
  • 24-05-2021 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Placed an order from EU, Spain. I was informed that customs are due to be paid, or products will be destroyed. Under 10kg EU limit. Where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I thought you needed to have alcohol on your person to avoid duty charges on your limits within the EU and not be able to post it to yourself like cigarettes.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Why do we have duty on booze if its purchased within the EU?
    Freedom of movement of people, goods etc is one of the principles of the EU. I'm curious as to the justification for it, other than the fact we would be buying loads of French wine direct from France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

See this similar discussion
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058183565/1/#post117083811

If you are lucky, you might just pay excise duty and get your beer delivery after that.
    If you go to Revenue with bad attitude, they will destroy as they legally can as it's technically illegal to import alcohol without a license.

To can import alcohol on your person to certain limits, duty free by plane, ferry but not by post.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Freedom of movement of people, goods etc is one of the principles of the EU. I'm curious as to the justification for it, other than the fact we would be buying loads of French wine direct from France.

You don't if it's in your possession, you do if you post or courier it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Though countries may be part of the EU and agree to free movement, each is autonomous when it comes to taxation.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/excise-duties-eu/paying-excise-duties/index_en.htm

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.
    Maybe I'm being a bit slow tonight - but whats the difference between ordering a jacket from Spain (which will arrive without issue) and ordering a couple of bottles of wine? Obviously its problematic if you're ordering by the pallet - but for 'personal use'? I can't see the justification when we are in a single market.

Thanks for that.
    Maybe I'm being a bit slow tonight - but whats the difference between ordering a jacket from Spain (which will arrive without issue) and ordering a couple of bottles of wine? Obviously its problematic if you're ordering by the pallet - but for 'personal use'? I can't see the justification when we are in a single market.

The Irish government is a little flexible when it comes to what it adapts from the "common market" Vrt on cars is a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks for that.

The system of Bonding and Licencing.

Alcohol isn't a t-shirt, its a controlled substance.

Put it this way, why can't you open a Bar in your living room tomorrow?

Thanks for that.

This probably explains it better than any posts.

http://supportyourlocal.ie/wp-content/uploads/Tax-Report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

From a similar thread a few weeks ago
    You need a licence to import alcohol to Ireland from elsewhere in the EU by mail/courier. The OP hasn't got one. The allowance applies to bringing it with you by boat/plane.

Revenue are entitled to destroy it. They can decide to exercise discretion and let you pay the duty but are not required to. What circumstances apply elsewhere are irrelevant.

They will not, ever, under any circumstances just hand it over.

Its either pay up, or have it destroyed and request a refund from the supplier - which may not be easy; but they were responsible for sending it here without following the rules.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The system of Bonding and Licencing.

Alcohol isn't a t-shirt, its a controlled substance.

Put it this way, why can't you open a Bar in your living room tomorrow?

Not to get nit-picky on it, but opening a bar would contravene the 'personal use' aspect of my query - lots of people have home-bars that themselves and their friends use.

Not to get nit-picky on it, but opening a bar would contravene the 'personal use' aspect of my query - lots of people have home-bars that themselves and their friends use.

You can bring in alcohol for personal use when returning from travel abroad, and use it in your home bar if you wish. You can’t however import alcohol without paying applicable tax and duty if it is not in your personal possession/being carried by you when travelling. The link I provided above gives insight into why taxes/duties apply and how each country in the EU can set their own tariffs.

The EU provides free movement of people and goods, but when you enter each country, you are still subject to their laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jbv

Thanks for all the replies. At least I know where I'm standing.
    Buying from duty free will definitely be the alternative to avoid the 2nd highest price in EU for alcohol.

Advertisement