Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forced to work from home

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I note you still have not listed the laws which would not enable an employee in Ireland to work in France nor, I bet, can you give a concrete example of such laws operating in practice whereby an employee of an Irish company (not at senior management level) was hounded but he relevant authorities in Ireland or the other country to go back to Ireland.

Also, you are coming across ignorant and a bit dim with this post.

The EU/EEA/CH free movement agreements allow you to move to another member state to:
    - Seek employment in that state for a period of three months, which may be extended for an additional three months
    - To take up employment in that state
    - To establish a business in that state
    - For the purpose of family reunion
    - Retirement provided you have sufficient income from none economic activity and will not become a burden on the state.
    - Short trips in support of business activities such as training, coaching, maintenance and support etc.

There is no entitlement to move to France or any other part of the EU/EEA/CH and legally work remotely. The only exceptions are that you are already a French permanent resident, you moved for the purpose of family reunion or you were somehow able to obtain the required national visa.

Also, establishing a company in France or using an umbrella company fails to meet the criteria that would be required to employ you to work remotely.

Now you have shown such utter disrespect for others that I have intention in engaging you further in this nonsense. So have at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That has to be up there amongst the most stupid thing I've seen posted against WFH yet.

So if employee went to their employer and asked for a permanent desk because they were experiencing difficulty working at home while caring for a dementia patient, you think their employer would say no? Because it might set a precedent?

Far from it. They are far more likely to say yes, thank you for being honest about the difficulties of your situation, and please come into the office and take this desk, where we know you will actually be able to concentrate on your work during the hours we're paying you for.

There are always going to be exceptions to every rule and employers will be prepared to make them. At least the decent ones will.

(Said as someone who took care of a parent with dementia, while working full time.)

My experience with HR is that exceptions must be included in the HR policies, otherwise they can't be accomodated

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Depending on your company policies etc you may be able to work in another country. So it’s hard to answer on a public forum

If a multinational of course it is easier.

Contact HR and they will tell you exactly what you can/can’t do.

Regardless of the company's policies, you still can't work for more than 6 months + 1 day in another country other than Ireland if you are employed by an Irish based company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The EU/EEA/CH free movement agreements allow you to move to another member state to:
    - Seek employment in that state for a period of three months, which may be extended for an additional three months
    - To take up employment in that state
    - To establish a business in that state
    - For the purpose of family reunion
    - Retirement provided you have sufficient income from none economic activity and will not become a burden on the state.
    - Short trips in support of business activities such as training, coaching, maintenance and support etc.

There is no entitlement to move to France or any other part of the EU/EEA/CH and legally work remotely. The only exceptions are that you are already a French permanent resident, you moved for the purpose of family reunion or you were somehow able to obtain the required national visa.

Also, establishing a company in France or using an umbrella company fails to meet the criteria that would be required to employ you to work remotely.

Now you have shown such utter disrespect for others that I have intention in engaging you further in this nonsense. So have at it.

Peculiar response and you seem a bit confrontational and disrespectful.

Remember, as you are getting too upset to address the point, a company incorporated and having its head office in Ireland, with its senior management based and decisions made/policy decided in Ireland, is at very little risk of rocking the boat for the work of its lowly customer service, sales, back office employees etc. Revenue in Ireland are not going to look the tax gift horse in the mouth and, further, practically speaking in a WFH world, why would they go beyond asking to see where the employees have registered as their home address and where the bank account into which salaries are paid is located? If employees address with the company and bank account are in Ireland, there is very little for the company to be concerned of after that. Unless you have evidence that Revenue can and do in fact drill down further than that? Additionally, on the French or Spanish side, the humble employee who is a citizen of that country going about their business there, staying with family or renting a place, is, practically speaking, nearly impossible to classify as being French resident for tax purposes if you are the French tax authorities. Again, this is what the poster was highlighting and I agree with it.

So as I said above, no need to be so defensive or sensitive as well as ignorant to me. If you read back over the thread you'll see that I posted to agree with a poster, then The Student seemed to reply to me thinking I was someone else as he/she got offensive and attacking based on me simply agreeing with the other post.

You appear to be of the opinion that working in another country is ok so go for it.

Multiple posters have told you why you can't but you think you know better.

Your final paragraph does not even warrant a response. So I am not going to lower myself to personal insults.

Well you did get offensive and ignorant in replying to my first post in the thread which was an agreement to another poster so it is a bit rich for you to cry about getting responded to and called out as being rude, obnoxious and dim-witted.

Now, you refer to "other posters" but cannot back up your own reply to me. Remember, you referred to "other posters" and "Google" in your initial reply so you are the one throwing out statements with nothing to back it up. The onus is on you to put up or shut up as I am still questioning the practical implementation of the tax rules I am aware of, that you are not even highlighting and explaining how practically they would apply in a manner which would not make it possible to reside abroad while being employed (other than as a director or senior manager) with the Irish company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭The Student

Well you did get offensive and ignorant in replying to my first post in the thread which was an agreement to another poster so it is a bit rich for you to cry about getting responded to and called out as being rude, obnoxious and dim-witted.

Now, you refer to "other posters" but cannot back up your own reply to me. Remember, you referred to "other posters" and "Google" in your initial reply so you are the one throwing out statements with nothing to back it up. The onus is on you to put up or shut up as I am still questioning the practical implementation of the tax rules I am aware of, that you are not even highlighting and explaining how practically they would apply in a manner which would not make it possible to reside abroad while being employed (other than as a director or senior manager) with the Irish company.

The different legal min employment requirements have been highlighted to you already in this thread.

The different income tax, Social insurance payments have also been highlighted to you.

In normal circumstances I actually would help people with these type of queries but you seem to have an issue.

You are either unwilling or unable to check out why working from home in another country is not widely available.

I am therefore stepping away from responding to any of your future posts.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    My experience with HR is that exceptions must be included in the HR policies, otherwise they can't be accomodated

Policies can be changed.

Eighteen months ago, many companies had policies which only allowed very limited or no working from home.

The pandemic and government restrictions forced companies into looking at WFH in a new light, and as a result many are now in the process of changing their policies.

I still hold that it's a very poor HR who would leave themselves with no discretion to make exceptions (post pandemic restrictions, obviously) where an exception would be in the best interest of both the employee and the company.

Happens all the time where I work. It's called making a "local arrangement". Normally agreed between employee > direct supervisor > head of function and finally HR.

The different legal min employment requirements have been highlighted to you already in this thread.

The different income tax, Social insurance payments have also been highlighted to you.

In normal circumstances I actually would help people with these type of queries but you seem to have an issue.

You are either unwilling or unable to check out why working from home in another country is not widely available.

Agree to disagree, I'm fine with that. No point in both of us smashing our heads into brick walls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Regardless of the company's policies, you still can't work for more than 6 months + 1 day in another country other than Ireland if you are employed by an Irish based company

Look the tax problem is not such a big issue as people posting here seem to think. I’ve been through this several times over the years and I have yet to see a single of it being prohibitive for companies that want to do it. The major thing is that it is codified so you can actually do it. And there are companies and consulting firms that can facilitate it.

The big problem is that once the employee wants to make a life for themselves where ever they relocate to they need to be able to provide the paperwork necessary to allow them to access the local services etc... and that is not possible unless the person is already able to justify their presence in the country for another reason.

If you just want to travel around and experience a bit of Europe for a while you can easily fly under the radar so long as you comply with the Schengen rules as that way you can be almost certain you won’t come in contact with officialdom. But once you want to settle down and establish a life it just does not work.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Look the tax problem is not such a big issue as people posting here seem to think. I’ve been through this several times over the years and I have yet to see a single of it being prohibitive for companies that want to do it. The major thing is that it is codified so you can actually do it. And there are companies and consulting firms that can facilitate it.

The big problem is that once the employee wants to make a life for themselves where ever they relocate to they need to be able to provide the paperwork necessary to allow them to access the local services etc... and that is not possible unless the person is already able to justify their presence in the country for another reason.

If you just want to travel around and experience a bit of Europe for a while you can easily fly under the radar so long as you comply with the Schengen rules as that way you can be almost certain you won’t come in contact with officialdom. But once you want to settle down and establish a life it just does not work.

By flying under the radar you are exposing the company to the risk of tax evasion, which is why companies are still strict about working from abroad.

Companies can and will check IP address of people working from remote to prevent the risk of employees breaking the 6 months rule

• Advertisement

Policies can be changed.

Eighteen months ago, many companies had policies which only allowed very limited or no working from home.

The pandemic and government restrictions forced companies into looking at WFH in a new light, and as a result many are now in the process of changing their policies.

I still hold that it's a very poor HR who would leave themselves with no discretion to make exceptions (post pandemic restrictions, obviously) where an exception would be in the best interest of both the employee and the company.

Happens all the time where I work. It's called making a "local arrangement". Normally agreed between employee > direct supervisor > head of function and finally HR.

When it comes to people management, consistency to polices is key. Exceptions are not the way to go. If many employees express a desire to change a specific policy sure the company will consider that, but exceptions to accommodate one single employee are always problematic because they create a precedent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I really can't understand the objection to wfh. The time wasted in commuting week in and out is something that is difficult to put a price on.

The ability to be able to choose not to have to live close to your work is just exceptional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

When it comes to people management, consistency to polices is key. Exceptions are not the way to go. If many employees express a desire to change a specific policy sure the company will consider that, but exceptions to accommodate one single employee are always problematic because they create a precedent

No it’s not. A good manager knows how to deal with and get the best out of everyone. Putting everyone into the same bracket and just ignoring them is a recipe for disaster

If what you said was true then companies wouldn’t be trying to bring in special needs people etc which should be a policy of every company.

Knowing that an employee has a special situation and might need a different approach is what makes a good manager and a good company

Precedents are not set because local arrangements are typically made on an individual's circumstances, on a case by case basis. Other employees are not consulted, and typically would not even be aware where such arrangements have been put in place, or why.

It's not part of any written policy, but it is part of their practice. That's my experience across 30 years and multiple departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ftbman wrote: »
    You can claim tax relief and other wfh related costs:
    Heating
    Electricity
    Broadband
    Other vouched expenses where they are “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” part of your work
    Are you sure about the 'other vouched expenses'? When I went through claiming last year, there was nowhere to claim the costs of my desk and chair. It was just utilities and broadband.
    whippet wrote: »
    Ah come on - that is some over dramatic interpretation of the last year !!

The vast majority of people work from a laptop and a note book - close the laptop and the office is closed !!! What reminders are you seeing of your work day that you don’t normally see ?
    No-one should be working permanently off a laptop screen. You need full size monitors.
    whippet wrote: »
    If I were inclined to think that my company were getting office space rent free from me - I’d also balance that with the not insignificant amount of money I have saved on my commute - tolls, diesel, wear and tear, after school care etc
    Those costs that you're saving were very much YOUR costs when you paid them. You didn't get a pay rise when your childcare went up or when diesel went up.

Don't give your employer credit for savings that are nothing to do with them. They're your savings.

Then start the conversation about rent for the space you're providing...
    By flying under the radar you are exposing the company to the risk of tax evasion, which is why companies are still strict about working from abroad.

Companies can and will check IP address of people working from remote to prevent the risk of employees breaking the 6 months rule
    You'd be getting both false positives and false negatives, given the use of VPNs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I work for a company that employs people throughout Europe. They're all either contractors (effectively self employed and they invoice the company for work) or there's an "employer of record" operating in that company and their legal relationship is with that employer of record. You can't just move to another European country for more than 6 months and maintain your existing contractual relationship with the Irish entity/Irish tax arrangements.

This thread is all over the place now. Anyone who wants to work 100% from the office should explain it to their employer. Exceptions can usually be made. If not, find a new job with less onerous working from home conditions.

This thread is all over the place now. Anyone who wants to work 100% from the office should explain it to their employer. Exceptions can usually be made. If not, find a new job with less onerous working from home conditions.

Sorry, but why would you need to explain it? Your contract (presuming that you were employed before Covid) is to work at an office location. If you employer is now choosing to change that, they need to explain it to the employee, and give them the option to opt out of any new arrangement.

Employers don't generally get to change terms and conditions unilaterally at the drop of a hat.

Sorry, but why would you need to explain it? Your contract (presuming that you were employed before Covid) is to work at an office location. If you employer is now choosing to change that, they need to explain it to the employee, and give them the option to opt out of any new arrangement.

Employers don't generally get to change terms and conditions unilaterally at the drop of a hat.

They do is the contract allows for it.

• Advertisement

There are legal limits on the distance to which employers can unilaterally move location, regardless of what is in the contract.

What kind of contract allowed employers to take space in the employee's home free of charge?

I'm pointing out that the folks complaining on here just need to have a chat with their employers. Anyway - have a good one.

I can't speak for private sector companies, but my contract / terms and conditions as a civil servant has never, ever, given one specific office location. I am assigned to a department.

I have worked in at least six different departments over the years and my current department has multiple buildings right across Dublin. I can be reassigned to any one of these buildings at any time. There is no "opting out" because it doesn't suit you.

So the "your employer can't just choose to change your location" argument really doesn't hold water, for me.

If a private sector employer lease is up on their premises and they decide to move from one location to another, does that mean they have to renegotiate contracts with every employee first? I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who has a contract which says "Your place of work is Unit 123 at BallyValley Business Park, or any other company location within a reasonable distance of this, or you may be required to provide a suitable workplace within the Republic of Ireland, at your cost".

Giving people the option to work remotely is fine.

Telling them to work from home if possible, due to a global pandemic, is fine too.

Telling them that from now own they will work mainly remotely and that they must provide a suitable workspace for this is a a fundamental change to terms and conditions of employment. It is totally not fine.

I can't speak for private sector companies, but my contract / terms and conditions as a civil servant has never, ever, given one specific office location. I am assigned to a department.

I have worked in at least six different departments over the years and my current department has multiple buildings right across Dublin. I can be reassigned to any one of these buildings at any time. There is no "opting out" because it doesn't suit you.

So the "your employer can't just choose to change your location" argument really doesn't hold water, for me.

If a private sector employer lease is up on their premises and they decide to move from one location to another, does that mean they have to renegotiate contracts with every employee first? I highly doubt it.

Distance counts.

https://www.mondaq.com/ireland/employment-litigation-tribunals/101502/relocation-clauses

The bigger question in this scenario is not the geographical distance of the move, but the elimination of the office workplace.

Forsa is actively seeking an opt out from WFH option for public servants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mastroianni

guys any opinions about the hypothetical return to office by September?

Seems to be a common enough prediction. Not sure if people want to try WFH till after the summer or what.

I know a couple of people working outside of Ireland now are planning on returning to Ireland and back into office for Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I am working remotely in Ireland and my place of work is in another jurisdiction.

My employer is aware of this. As are Revenue.

You make it sound like it's some sort of nefarious practice.

It's because of this I get to have a bank holiday day off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

Vaccinations aren't expected to be completed until September and I suppose we should anticipate delays, so personally I couldn't imagine return to office until Oct/Nov. Who knows.

I am working remotely in Ireland and my place of work is in another jurisdiction.

My employer is aware of this. As are Revenue.

You make it sound like it's some sort of nefarious practice.

It's because of this I get to have a bank holiday day off today.

You are allowed do this for short periods of time. You are allowed do it permanently with the appropriate legal set up etc.

The original poster was looking to do same permanently.

Your organisation may be doing everything correctly or they may not be hoping they don't get caught.

Who do you pay your social insurance contributions to?

• Advertisement

No it’s not. A good manager knows how to deal with and get the best out of everyone. Putting everyone into the same bracket and just ignoring them is a recipe for disaster

If what you said was true then companies wouldn’t be trying to bring in special needs people etc which should be a policy of every company.

Knowing that an employee has a special situation and might need a different approach is what makes a good manager and a good company

You don't seem to have much experience with people management and HR, especially in big multinationals
    People with special needs as in physical disability are not the same as people who have a need to work from abroad. And even in the case of special needs the company will have a standard policy, not a specially customized one

You are allowed do this for short periods of time. You are allowed do it permanently with the appropriate legal set up etc.

The original poster was looking to do same permanently.

Your organisation may be doing everything correctly or they may not be hoping they don't get caught.

Who do you pay your social insurance contributions to?

You should get onto the HR and finance departments of the rather large utility company I work for and advise them.

It's preposterous that you'd even think that "they'd hope they won't get get caught".

I think they slipped up by telling the local tax organisation as well though if they were trying to hide it.

Utterly bizarre.

You should get onto the HR and finance departments of the rather large utility company I work for and advise them.

It's preposterous that you'd even think that "they'd hope they won't get get caught".

I think they slipped up by telling the local tax organisation as well though if they were trying to hide it.

Utterly bizarre.

Firstly I have no idea who you work for. Secondly if it is a large company then they will no doubt be doing everything correctly. Thirdly small firms are doing this without the correct set up as I am aware of one personally and I doubt they are the only ones doing it. How widespread it is I don't know.

What arrangements do you have for social insurance payments?

You don't seem to have much experience with people management and HR, especially in big multinationals
    People with special needs as in physical disability are not the same as people who have a need to work from abroad. And even in the case of special needs the company will have a standard policy, not a specially customized one

I do love on boards everyone is trying to big themselves up.
    Do you think your point is more forceful because you try to make out you are part of a "big multinational"?

Same as person above, it's not a utilities company, it is a "rather large utility company".

Do you think your point is more forceful because you try to make out you are part of a "big multinational"?

Same as person above, it's not a utilities company, it is a "rather large utility company".

I worked in people management for many years, requests for exceptional treatment are extremely frequent, staff memebers speak to one another and know very well what they can ask based on what was previously granted to others.

A manager cant make decisions outside of HR policies.

I worked in people management for many years, requests for exceptional treatment are extremely frequent, staff memebers speak to one another and know very well what they can ask based on what was previously granted to others.

Why would people be constantly making requested for exceptional treatment if as you say they are already aware it isn't company policy? seems to be a bit of a conflict doesn't it?

Sounds like a lack of consistent decision making by mgmt to be honest

The point was being made to a poster who seems to think that they may be pulling a fast one. As they clearly aren't and given their size it's less likely they are. But by all means continue.

Why would people be constantly making requested for exceptional treatment if as you say they are already aware it isn't company policy? seems to be a bit of a conflict doesn't it?

Plenty of reasons, health, family, etc.
    Employees know the policies but once mgnt make an exception for one person, more requests will come

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Some of your minds are going to be blown when you discover that more modern work practices are *actually* flexible, not just trading one big bunch of rules for another like 'every Tuesday and Wednesday in the office, 9am to 5.30pm'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

jakiah wrote: »
    Some of your minds are going to be blown when you discover that more modern work practices are *actually* flexible, not just trading one big bunch of rules for another like 'every Tuesday and Wednesday in the office, 9am to 5.30pm'.

If everything is so flexible why would companies even need policies? They're to ensure all employess are treated equally and if there's any problem it can be addressed fairly without any bias on the part of managers etc.

Also organisations can't just change employees contracts without agreement or expect employees to provide their 'place of work' in their home. It's crazy & nothing to do with modern work practices.
    Mrs OBumble is spot on.

Different situation entirely if it's an independent contractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

blindsider wrote: »
    When did it get waived? I don't remember seeing that in the legislation...maybe I missed it...

Do you have any links etc to support this?

Ergonomic inspectors are not listed as essential services do they could not do house visits

If everything is so flexible why would companies even need policies?
    My company literally does not have a policy for this. You can work from wherever you like, whenever you like as long as you are meeting targets. If you have a commitment in the office or on a customer site you are expected to be there (obviously). Otherwise you manage your own time & location.

I dont know how some of you are going to be able to cope tbh.

My company literally does not have a policy for this. You can work from wherever you like, whenever you like as long as you are meeting targets. If you have a commitment in the office or on a customer site you are expected to be there (obviously). Otherwise you manage your own time & location.

That sounds like a company policy to me.

With regards to working from abroad, which was the original argument, no Irish company can allow you to work more than 6 months + 1 days outside of Ireland

That sounds like a company policy to me.

With regards to working from abroad, which was the original argument, no Irish company can allow you to work more than 6 months + 1 days outside of Ireland

they can allow you to work abroad if they have payroll presence in said country (though you dont have be on said payroll). We were told definitively by my US based MNC that we can work anywhere that there is a physical presence in country, for as long as we want (which is maybe 50% of EU countries and the UK). We could not work anywhere that there is not an office

But they also made very clear that the individual tax liabilities of being somewhere for more than 6 months are our own to deal with and that the company would not provide advice / support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And that's fine. I'd love to see the fine print of this, as I'd imagine there's plenty of caveats.
    What happens when your company unilaterally changes this policy?

Reminds me of Virgin's policy that you can take as much time off as you want, provided all your work is done, but whoever actually finished ALL their work. THere's always something else to do.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I'd love to see the fine print of this, as I'd imagine there's plenty of caveats.
    /facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

/facepalm

Great input. V intelligent.
    My company literally does not have a policy for this. You can work from wherever you like, whenever you like as long as you are meeting targets.

That second part "as long as you are meeting targets" is literally a policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

One day, your company is going to get a visit from a Workplace Relations Commission inspector, and they are likely to get quite an interesting penalty.

Or theycare going to fire someone for not meeting targets, and find themselves in the Labour Court answering an unjustified dismissal claim which makes them look very bad.

• Advertisement

they can allow you to work abroad if they have payroll presence in said country (though you dont have be on said payroll). We were told definitively by my US based MNC that we can work anywhere that there is a physical presence in country, for as long as we want (which is maybe 50% of EU countries and the UK). We could not work anywhere that there is not an office

But they also made very clear that the individual tax liabilities of being somewhere for more than 6 months are our own to deal with and that the company would not provide advice / support.

So there you have a clear policy then.

Advertisement