Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend off entitlement

Options
  • 24-05-2021 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi folks as the headline says, can anyone advise if you work in retail where Saturday work is a must, are you supposed to be allowed have one sat in x amount off?

One colleague believes it to be one in four, another one in six and another one in seven.

I've no idea if we are even "entitled," at all

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope, not unless your contract allows it.

You could use most of your annual leave for Saturdays - but they may nor approve it I'd you were hired to work Saturdays .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You have no entitlement to be off any weekend time as far as I understand...

If you work Saturday - Wednesday to cover work as required your days off are Thursday and Friday...

I always have had at least one weekend day off and if I was an employer I’d endeavor to enable people to have one weekend day off...

As long as it’s done fairly and everybody gets a fair chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's no entitlement to have a Saturday off at all, nor a Sunday if your contract states you work Sundays and has an agreement about the extra pay you receive for doing so (which can be built into your normal wage, assuming you make more than minimum wage). You are entitled to a rest period of 24 consecutive hours in each 7 day period or two 24-hour rest periods in a week which follows a week in which you received none, but those do not have to be on any particular days of the week if your contract states that you must work Sundays. (If your contract doesn't say anything, then that period should include a Sunday off, though...)

Advertisement