Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2020 [Official Thread!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Poor form but not that surprising that Rory, Rahm, Sergio, and Casey are not playing at Wentworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Daniel Berger, Harris English, Tony Finau, Scottie Scheffler, Xander Schauffele and Jordan Spieth named as Steve Stricker's wildcard picks for Team USA; Ryder Cup to be played from September 24-26 at Whistling Straits

Berger jumps Reed who was ahead in rankings

Sergio must know he is in if not playing

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Looks like Stricker picked long hitters to suit the course, instead of guys like Reed, Kisner, Simpson and Na.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭abff

Pretty much straight down the list from the qualifying table. The only exception is Scheffler in 14th who leaps over Simpson in 13th and displaces Reid in 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Scheffler jumped Reed as well too. Scheffler was 14th, while Reed was 11th. Guess he left Reed out as nobody on the team probably likes him all that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hasn't he been quite ill recently? Was hoping Phil would get a call to give the Europeans a better chance.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He was. But he played at the tour championship and he did alright for a fella who almost died. I thought he might have done enough.

Looking at the European Picks, the top 3 players in the world rankings who arent in the qualifying spots are Sergio, Rose and Poulter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I like Reed's spikiness and it's great for the Ryder Cup in general, it's a loss in terms of the overall spectacle.

That's the 3 I would pick anyway and I think Paddy will too, unless one of many possible permutations play out this weekend.

It's disappointing that not all the European guys are playing the flagship event, I'd have made it a prerequisite of team membership almost. Still it's a top field, but when you see guys like Scott and Horschel there, but no Sergio, Rory or Casey, it's hard not be a little disappointed. And it may even end up meaning Paddy has to use a pick on Shane which is not what he wants I'm sure.

Edit: And Rahm too obviously

Yes, and they would be the most logical choices if the 9 automatic qualifiers remain unchanged. Whether this would remain the case if Lowry and/or Westwood were to fall out of the automatic qualifying places remains to be seen.

If lowry qualifies then third pick is very much up in the air. Rose is in Pole position for it imo but if someone like Stenson, Bob Mac, Noren, Perez, miglionizi, cheeseburger, Hojgaard win or top 5 they could force their way in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Reed is a loss for sure, he has passion but fair to say a guy just recovered from double pneumonia would be a stretch for 3 intense days back to back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Rory after playing last 3 weeks and doesn't need to play so why bother coming over here for a week to go back to USA. Casey something similar.

Garcia played last 3 weeks and must have got the ok for Harrington ala Faldo.

Harrington big worry be someone who he probably doesn't want making the team with a win this weekend even though he will never admit it.

I was say if you don't make the team automatically you have no complaints if not selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wiesberger and Perez having poor front 9s

There are 14 players who could potentially break into the automatic qualifying spots this week. Justin Rose, Alex Noren, Danny Willett, Calum Hill, Richard Bland, Rasmus Hojgaard, Henrik Stenson or Matthias Schwab would need a win to do so, but 3rd place could be good enough for Victor Perez or Robert MacIntyre and 2nd place might be good enough for Ian Poulter, Thomas Detry or Guido Migliozzi. And a top 49 could conceivably be enough for Wiesberger.

if Poulter or Rose makes it into the automatic spots at Lowry’s expense, I think there is a chance that Shane would get a wild card. But if someone else forces his way into the team (particularly someone who would be a rookie), I think it would be difficult for Padraig to justify giving Shane a pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭techdiver

Whilst Shane would be a Ryder Cup rookie, he would be in a different mould as a rookie. He is a major champion who has proven himself world wide. I wouldn't see it as a leap to pick Shane regardless, especially given his recent for is better than Rose and Stenson.

Post edited by techdiver on

Shane is guaranteed a pick is he slips out of the final qualifying place. There is only 1 rookie in the team as it stands so picking him as a rookie isn't an issue. He is a WGC and Major Champion.

Wiesberger is currently 3 over par after 10 holes and Perez is 4 over after 11. Both players are in danger of missing the cut if they can’t turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah agreed, Wiesberger missing the cut would be great for whoever is in line for the 3rd wildcard (Likely to be Rose)

Rose rising to the occasion so far. Top 20 should be enough for him to get the 3rd pick providing one of the other contenders doesn't go and win it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It was actually a pretty smart move by Garcia not to show up. Perez probably playing himself off the team at the moment. Wiesberger also too. Garcia cant play himself off the team at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Doing nothing is better than doing poorly 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wiesberger eagles the 18th to get to -1 for the day, good back 9 from him.

I don’t get the reasons for Shane getting his pick, he’s had the same qualifying time as everyone else so should qualify on merit as his route in. Poults and Serio a given now. With Rose’s RC record he would be a better RC pick over Shane, Rose is a proven putter and that’s what wins match play. I’ve nothing against Shane, was cheering him on in Portrush but I’d honestly go for Rose

Lowry won't need a pick, he'll qualify directly, Rose will get the last pick as long as Miguel Angel Jimenez doesn't win this..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I'd be a little bit miffed if I was Rose that Poults and Sergio are seen as certainties while he's a doubt. He's certainly been a better more high-class player than Poulter (I know Poults is Mr. Ryder Cup) and arguably Sergio too as he's been World No. 1 and won a Fed Ex Cup.

His Ryder Cup record is also one of Europe's best over the last number of years and he was a huge part of the miracle at Medinah. Just personally if I was him, I'd be feeling a little overlooked by everyone.

He's already been shafted a bit in 2010, when Monty was looking to protect the European Tour by picking Eddy Molinari over him!

Hojgaard goes and shoots 81 when a victory would have got him in!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Monty made mad choices, and his timing was woeful too

Shane playing great at the minute too, free YouTube stream of his round too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Worried about the form of Hatton going into the Ryder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Hatton, Westwood & Fitzpatrick are all showing slightly worrying form if I'm honest.

Advertisement