Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necrus Revisited (Part Three) REVEAL Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 5th place with 12 points

Trigger

Song 2 – Blur

Great choice, again I’d be familiar with this from the older FIFA games, 98 I think this one was, isn’t that mental? I’m going to take a few points off it for overfamiliarity again but yeah it’s a quality choice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 4th place with 13 points

Cee_jay

Portal - Still Alive - End Credits Theme

Hahaha, I’ve no idea of the context of this as I actually haven’t played Portal but this is hilarious. Catchy song too! This might have done very well in the previous round as well actually, simple but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Was that fifa 98 road to the world cup?

You could the off side rule off, used to drive my mate crazy :)

Kolido wrote: »
    Was that fifa 98 road to the world cup?

You could the off side rule off, used to drive my mate crazy :)

I think it was, I can't remember exactly. I do remember the offside rule being removable which added so much hilarity.

Also the hacking down of the goalkeepers :D

And so that brings us to our final 6 for this round, in no particular order…

Kolido
    ShaneU
    The purple tin
    JP Liz V1
    Deja Boo
    Homer J. Fong

Who are the gaming God/Goddesses and who are the n00b5? :p

• Advertisement

In 14th place with 3 points

Deja Boo

Crash Bandicoot Theme

Crash is great craic but the music was never it’s strongest point and this is grand I guess for something seemingly hammered out on a xylophone :P

In 3rd place with 14 points

ShaneU

Undertale – Megalovania

I’m going out on a limb here and stating this entrant is a bit of a gamer :P Nobody picks something like this without playing their fare share of them. Great choice, I do love RPG music a lot so playing to my strengths here with this choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Necro wrote: »
    In 4th place with 13 points

Cee_jay

Portal - Still Alive - End Credits Theme

Hahaha, I’ve no idea of the context of this as I actually haven’t played Portal but this is hilarious. Catchy song too! This might have done very well in the previous round as well actually, simple but effective.

Portal and Portal 2 are some of the cleverest and funniest games you could ever play.

In 15th place with 2 points

Kolido

Die hard trilogy - Airport Terminal

This is just a bit flat and meandering. I kept expecting it to go up in crescendo at some point but it kind just… stayed as is. Wouldn’t be rushing to play the game based on the soundtrack anyways…

That being said..... the game was bloody great at the time :D:D

In 2nd place with 15 points

JP Liz V1

Mortal Kombat Theme

Arguably a cheat code for this round but lookit, this is a quality track. I particularly like the beginning… TEST YOUR MIGHT – followed by the guttural roar… ah you get the point. Good choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

ABACABB

In 16th place with 1 point

The purple tin

Aquatic Ambience from Donkey Kong Country

Again, much like the Die Hard music from before it this just doesn’t really call out to me that I must play this game. I found this very boring if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought bottom for me in this round, happy you enjoyed and liked Necro

And in FIRST Place, picking up 16 points…

Deleted User

Placebo - Every You Every Me (F1 2000)

Cracking track this, just a great song even if it’s not massively associated with gaming it was very hard to justify anything else submitted being ahead of this… so basically I don’t have to. A great pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

fixXxer wrote: »
    Portal and Portal 2 are some of the cleverest and funniest games you could ever play.

So I've been told. I don't really play computer games, but there's a big fan in the house, and he often plays this from it. It's one of the game tunes he plays on the regular that I don't hate.

:eek: Genuinely thought I was coming last here, Placebo can be a bit of a marmite band and I figured there was no way I was beating the Crash Bandicoot theme!!

I actually had a completely different song chosen initially (from googling the Grand Theft Auto soundtracks) but figured I'd stick with something I remembered from a game I had actually played, way back in the days of my (second-hand) Playstation (the only Sony console I've ever had!)

So our scoretable for tonight

Position Name Song Score
    1st Homer J. Fong Placebo - Every You Every Me 16
    2nd JP Liz V1 Mortal Kombat Theme 15
    3rd ShaneU Undertale - Megalovania 14
    4th cee_jay Portal - Still Alive - End Credits Theme 13
    5th Trigger Song 2 - Blur 12
    6th Necrina Skyrim Theme 11
    7th Also Starring LeVar Burton Bad Religion - You 10
    8th Barna77 Final Fantasy 7 - Golden Saucer Theme 9
    9th Electric Nitwit Cities - Beck (from Sound Shapes) 8
    10th Irish Aris Lacuna Coil-Swamped  7
    11th ari101 The XX - Intro 6
    12th Sawduck Persona 5 - Last Surprise 5
    13th fixXxer Dan Bull - 21 Heroes 4
    14th Deja Boo Crash Bandicoot Theme 3
    15th Kolido Die hard trilogy - Airport Terminal 2
    16th the purple tin Aquatic Ambience from Donkey Kong Country 1

And how does our combined table look right now....

Name Improved by Video Video Game Music Song from a genre not usually listened to Song from a Musical 90s Round TV Themes Driving Miss Walrus Scene Music In My Hometown Summer Choons Total
    Deja Boo 12 3 15
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 8 10 18
    Kolido 15 2 17
    ShaneU 16 14 30
    the purple tin 10 1 11
    Homer J. Fong 5 16 21
    Necrina 14 11 25
    JP Liz V1 12 15 27
    Sawduck 4 5 9
    cee_jay 13 13 26
    ari101 9 6 15
    Barna77 2 9 11
    Irish Aris 7 7 14
    Trigger 11 12 23
    fixXxer 3 4 7
    Electric Nitwit 6 8 14

So with 8 rounds to go its SHANEU that leads the way by three points

JP Liz, cee_jay and Necrina aren't too far off top spot either..

Long, Loooonnnnnngggg way to go yet though

I'll be back tomorrow with Round 3.... Same bat time, Same Bat Channel!! (We'll be taking a break Friday for Rikand's Walrus however)

0dme33l.gif

So folks.....

Did you play to my tastes here and go pop music or country (some of the more disliked genres around these neck of the woods)? Or perhaps you just played it straight and went with stuff you liked but wouldn’t normally… some examples for me.

I guess we will find out at 9pm tomorrow night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Have we done a Best Video Game Tournament.

That'd be a fun one.

I doubt my limited knowledge of Video Games would make me a very good host for it, so just throwing the idea out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In 16th place with 1 point

The purple tin

Aquatic Ambience from Donkey Kong Country

Again, much like the Die Hard music from before it this just doesn’t really call out to me that I must play this game. I found this very boring if I’m honest.

Love this!

• Advertisement

Have we done a Best Video Game Tournament.

That'd be a fun one.

I doubt my limited knowledge of Video Games would make me a very good host for it, so just throwing the idea out there...
    Been thinking about doing this. just didn't think they're would be enough interest.If you haven't played ya game It's not like a song you haven't heard that you can click play on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ShaneU wrote: »
    Been thinking about doing this. just didn't think they're would be enough interest.If you haven't played ya game It's not like a song you haven't heard that you can click play on

Yeah, thats true, its a bit more niche in that sense, but then again there have been greatest movie tournaments where nobody has seen all the movies, and a lot of the time would vote based on synopsis or whatever, which could work with games also (vote for the one you'd be most interested in playing if you don't know either kind of deal). There'll be enough mass appeal games that people will be familiar enough with I think. The early rounds might be a bit slower as more obscure games get weeded out, but I'd say as the tournament goes on and you're left with some of the more heavy hitters it would be interesting to see what came out on top.

You don't necessarily need to ask for nominations, you could select the more obvious mass appeal stuff, and then have a couple wildcard rounds or something so people could nominate anything you may have missed that they feel deserved inclusion. I'd say there's a few FG regulars who'd be interested in playing something along those lines anyway. Is there a Video Gaming forum here? Could find some interested parties there too?

Are you kidding me, I was so close to submitting the song To Zanarkand from FFX but I thought you would call it boring (for the video game round)

ShaneU wrote:
    Are you kidding me, I was so close to submitting the song To Zanarkand from FFX but I thought you would call it boring (for the video game round)

Love FFX music, probably my second fave after FF7 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

All the scenery represents the different beats in the song, did you not get that Necro? Great video. (Chemical brothers)
    That.

In 8th place with 9 points

Barna77

Final Fantasy 7 - Golden Saucer Theme

Tbh, you could have picked pretty much ANY other track from FF7 and it would likely have been top 3 material. Boss theme, Main battle theme, Jenova them, One Winged Angel just wins the category straight up - just not this one. I dunno, it’s so sickly sweet and squealing at points it just puts me off. It’s still much better than what most games have these days but yeah, you could have been much higher :P
    Ah love the golden saucer song

After spending hours and hours in the Golden Saucer, I had to submit it. That or Rufus Welcome
    I started playing the PS4 remake. Had a laugh when Barrett does the victory fanfare :D

Someone mentioned Tetris....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Someone might fix the link as I'm on my phone but here it is

https://youtu.be/I8LnIY8rOCA

So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

fixXxer wrote: »
    Someone might fix the link as I'm on my phone but here it is

So good.

Link updated

Just getting set up for Round 3 now folks.... kicking off in about 5 mins or so!!

In 13th place with 4 points

Cee_jay

Belfast - Orbital

I suppose this is sort of relaxing. I’m just not gone on really long electronic instrumentals (unless it’s dance or trance) unfortunately so I sort of kept skipping this in the playthroughs and it ended up here.

• Advertisement

In 12th place with 5 points

JP Liz V1

Luciano Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma

I dunno, this one sort of started a good bit higher but started trending downwards towards the end of my relistens due to familiarity. It’s a fab song. Fantastic voice. I just preferred other entries I suppose.

Advertisement