Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running RJ11 Telephone outside to Garden room

Options
  • 25-05-2021 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm looking at running at RJ11 telephone cable from inside the house to out a Garden Room/Home Office.

I'm presuming I need some kind of shielded/weather protected cable instead of a standard telephone cord? I intend to run it against a wall and not bury it.

Its for a Home phone that runs off SIRO broadband router.

Would any one have experience at this or where you could purchase this kind of outdoor telephone cable I will need around 100ft and can't find any Irish suppliers.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Amazon UK has it. Dear-ish, but looks like what you want:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100ft-Outdoor-Direct-Burial-Shielded/dp/B001UKVKIA

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You'll find it easier to get shielded RJ45, and just connect the required number of cores (2 normally)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

L1011 wrote: »
    You'll find it easier to get shielded RJ45, and just connect the required number of cores (2 normally)

Would electrical wholesalers sell shielded RJ45 here?

Cheers for the replies folks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

An Cigire wrote: »
    Would electrical wholesalers sell shielded RJ45 here?

Cheers for the replies folks

What you're looking for is CAT-6 external grade UTP:

LINKY

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The range of DECT is fairly good, have you tested that method before bothering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

An Cigire wrote: »
    I'm looking at running at RJ11 telephone cable from inside the house to out a Garden Room/Home Office.

The other links given here are for ethernet cable - if it's just telephone wire you are looking for - that's much cheaper.

But would you consider a DECT wireless phone? You might be lucky and get a signal over the 100ft.

Otherwise - what you need is twisted pair - not the really cheap extension cable or alarm cable - (stops interference)
    You can run it in a garden hose to keep it water tight - but water proof phone cable should be easy to get from amazon uk...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

ozmo wrote: »
    The other links given here are for ethernet cable - if it's just telephone wire you are looking for - that's much cheaper.

But would you consider a DECT wireless phone? You might be lucky and get a signal over the 100ft.

Otherwise - what you need is twisted pair - not the really cheap extension cable or alarm cable - (stops interference)
    You can run it in a garden hose to keep it water tight - but water proof phone cable should be easy to get from amazon uk...

You can get a universal DECT extender as well. Works fairly well

Advertisement