Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Gov ID website login - Text not sent?

Options
  • 25-05-2021 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone having trouble logging in to MyGovID? My wife is getting the same issue again and again where it says a text is sent to verify her identity, but the text never arrives.

She needs to log in to cancel her Pandemic payment as she's returned to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Check your spam folder- you might have umpteen messages from SW in there now.
    In general, the mygovID site is known to be a very problematic website. I have given up myself on it.
    Phone the SW office- or send them something in writing by snail mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

hawthorne wrote: »

In general, the mygovID site is known to be a very problematic website. I have given up myself on it.

Remarkably, I've been using it for the past 3 years without ever encountering any problems whatsoever. Evidently I'm the statistical outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Remarkably, I've been using it for the past 3 years without ever encountering any problems whatsoever. Evidently I'm the statistical outlier.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You maybe but there was many, many issues with the mygov, mywelfare sites throughout the past 14 months. Indeed I can confirm there was issues on Monday morning on the mywelfare portal.

To be fair, its not un expected given the enormous amounts of traffic during the pandemic and in January on the revenue portal due to statements of liabilities being issued.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andykirvine

I'm going slightly crazy trying to verify My Gov ID. When I am asked to put in my PPS I get the message "oops, something's gone wrong, telephone 071 967 2616". There is absolutely no point in ringing them unless you want to bankrupt yourself and wind up in a mental home. What to do? There doesn't seem to be any other way of contacting them except by phone. Can you go somewhere??

andykirvine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Talk about a crap badly designed website!

Trying to verify a My Gov ID for my wife. We don't have mobile phone coverage so thought great there is an option to have a verification code posted out so opted for that.

The verification code arrives and you still need a mobile phone to complete the verification process, wtf is the point of posting out a verification code?

Not that I could even get that far as after putting in her details correctly multiple times is comes back and says we can't verify you try again (or similar).

Wake me up when it's all over.

The posting out of initial set up code is to verify your address. The SMS is level 2 authentication.

Even with your mygovid account fully set up, you'll still be required to have your mobile phone with you as a verification sms is sent every time you log in, that text contains a one time verification code each time you log in, this has been the process for a long time, 2 step verification there is no way around this. Also worth pointing out you need additional sms code if you log into different services, Mygovid, Mywelfare etc.

Recieving an SMS shouldn't require the best mobile coverage. Are you entirely sure mobile provider is not blocking these texts, I see alot of reports with similar issue for banking apps, or alternatively are you blocking unknown numbers on the device.

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

No we don't have any mobile coverage. While you might not believe me I don't waste my time driving up the road to pick up SMS messages or pay Eir for a POTS just for the craic.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I didn't say I don't believe you, simply exploring if there's another reason your not receiving verification sms. For example, when your in an area with good coverage, do these texts arrive 🤔, if not then there's an issue blocking these texts like I tried to explain with certain banking apps.

The problem is you'll need to be able to receive these sms to use online government services and to complete initial registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭nhg

Having same issues trying to verify my sons account, getting the sms code to his phone but then “oops, something’s wrong”, took a screenshot & sent it to support@welfare.ie yesterday as advised by staff in the DSP office when I called in last week.

• Advertisement

Yes that's a slightly different issue Widely reported on in different threads albeit not recently) and a Glitch affecting completion of registration. I believe there is a dedicated phone line listed on the page to talk to the IT crowd but your email hopefully might yield a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 peter2468

Strikes me as deliberate inefficient govt with the SMS service being super flaky. i.e. classic "Let's make it not work well and just blame it on incompetence"

Why not allow users to use a more secure TOTP alternative if they wish?

Absolutely ridiculous I have to keep trying and hardly ever get the SMS in a timely manner

Have had this issue for many years

After holding for a good while on the support helpline, I'm told it might be an issue with eir (rolls eyes)

Apparently you can vent to support@mygovid.ie tho i wouldn't hold my breath they'll improve anything

Post edited by peter2468 on

Your Clearly alone in having these issues I'm afraid

Advertisement