Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got job at a higher level but promotion is pushed out

Options
  • 25-05-2021 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I am working in a large multinational in Dublin.

Just after Xmas I applied & was successful in getting a role at a higher level within the company.

Upon being offered the role I was told I would start the job in a few weeks but I would not be relevelled or rewarded financially till the next promotion cycle which is in June but again they could not guarantee it would happen in June, it might be pushed out again. This is a regular approach in this company where you get the role & do the work but often dont see the benefits till 1 or 2 promotion cycles time. It is a cost saving strategy effectively.

I found out I wont be getting the promotion in June despite doing the role for over 4 months and will need to see if I get it in the next promotion cycle in a few months time.

There is no consistency in that 10 people could get a new role at a higher level in January and 5 will be promoted in June and say 5 promoted in the cycle after June.

There is no acting up allowance while waiting for the role either.

Is this just tough luck and I need to accept it or is there any grounds to go to the WRC on it on the basis that some people get promoted in the first cycle and some don't.

Thanka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The fact that you say it is the regular approach and that you were informed at the time that there was no guarantee would suggest you knew from the outset that what transpired was a possibility. So what would your complaint be based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Is there any chance that they are using this interim period as a de facto probationary period? Trying you out at the new level and if it works out then they'll rubber stamp it. But if things aren't working out, then they won't have to do very much to gently let you back to your old position.

I am working in a large multinational in Dublin.......................

Is this just tough luck and I need to accept it or is there any grounds to go to the WRC on it on the basis that some people get promoted in the first cycle and some don't.................

It's what you make of it really.
    Going to the WRC would be lunacy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dav010 wrote: »
    The fact that you say it is the regular approach and that you were informed at the time that there was no guarantee would suggest you knew from the outset that what transpired was a possibility. So what would your complaint be based on?

Based I’d imagine on being interviewed for a particular position , being the successful candidate, taking on and doing the work yet not being rewarded / compensated for it appropriately...

Ie. If a company cannot afford to hire a manager, they shouldn’t hire one and ask and expect somebody to do that job if they cannot afford to pay them...the proper and appropriate salary from the get go.

Bicyclette wrote: »
    Is there any chance that they are using this interim period as a de facto probationary period? Trying you out at the new level and if it works out then they'll rubber stamp it. But if things aren't working out, then they won't have to do very much to gently let you back to your old position.

Should have been told that in the interview.

Also pay them the correct amount, if they fail probation so be it but you pay them that money that you agreed for the first pay cycle following their appointment.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Based I’d imagine on being interviewed for a particular position , being the successful candidate, taking on and doing the work yet not being rewarded / compensated for it appropriately...

Ie. If a company cannot afford to hire a manager, they shouldn’t hire one and ask and expect somebody to do that job if they cannot afford to pay them...the proper and appropriate salary from the get go.

Read the op again.

If the op didn’t want to accept the terms offered, the employer could have offered the job to someone else.

The op has asked if there is a case to bring to the WRC, yet he/she was informed from the outset that the situation which has arisen was a possibility. As long as the employer is paying above minimum wage, pay rises are either at their discretion or, as agreed when the job was offered.

Read the op again.

If the op didn’t want to accept the terms offered, the employer could have offered the job to someone else.

The op has asked if there is a case to bring to the WRC, yet he/she was informed from the outset that the situation which has arisen was a possibility. As long as the employer is paying above minimum wage, pay rises are either at their discretion or, as agreed when the job was offered.

The problem is them saying it ‘might’ happen in June, but ‘might not’... which isn’t a term, isn’t anything apart from bs and being led down the garden path. A term(s) of employment is a group of fixed definites. I might make bangers and mash, I might not... that’s not informing anyone anything. It’s not definite it’s nothing..

I’d not have accepted the job unless I knew a definite but that being said it’s a company who are stringing the OP along.

Needed the position filled, the job to be done, but not going to properly compensate.

The problem is them saying it ‘might’ happen in June, but ‘might not’... which isn’t a term, isn’t anything apart from bs and being led down the garden path. A term of employment is a group of fixed definites. I might make bangers and mash, I might not... that’s not informing anyone anything. It’s not definite it’s noth.

I’d not have accepted the job unless I knew a definite but that being said it’s a company who are stringing the OP along.

Needed the position filled, the job to be done, but not going to properly compensate.

Of course it is a term, how could it not be? It outlines whether higher remuneration is guaranteed, or not. If not, then the op could have declined.

Of course it is a term, how could it not be? It outlines whether higher remuneration is guaranteed, or not. If not, then the op could have declined.

It’s not guaranteed, a term refers to something known, definite and fixed.

It’s not guaranteed, a term refers to something known, definite and fixed.

No it doesn’t. It outlines the terms on which employment is offered, few contracts have definitive wage increase terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally, there's no way I'd stay working at a company that treats people this way.

Could it be the basis of a successful WRC claim? Definitely, if there's evidence if the delay for some but not others was due to age, gender, race, ... MOTC, ... the rest of the big-9-non-discrimination things. Otherwise - maybe, you'd need legal advice.

Would a WRC claim (successful or not) be the end of your career in the company? I'm pretty sure it would.

Do the other benefits of the job, company or location make it worth putting up with this BS? Only the OP can decide that, based on his/her circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I might be in the same company as our practice is the same. Its not a cost saving strategy as such but a method of maintaining or boosting the share price as promotions are completed twice a year after the 2nd & 4th quarterly business performance are released to the shareholders. You will probably find that travel and expenses are tightened up at the same time usually as it improves cash flow. The other factor in play is that each business area might only have a set amount of roles at different levels its certainly the way in my company. Say for example you are a level 3 moving to a level 4 and the level 4 positions are full you wait for the slot to free up but there might be level 3 or 5 slots free so your colleagues are seen to be promoted and paid before you.

Exceptions do regularly happen, talk to your manager as I doubt WRC will help your career as you did accept the conditions at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Just use the experience to get an actual promotion either moving laterally or a new job.

We've had a similar crack except people in Acting up roles for long periods of time risk get leap frogged by new hires.

So I would have no loyalty about it. Get what you can from the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Sounds like a horrible employer.

They only get away with it because everyone there accepts it.

If you have options, you should leave.

Advertisement