Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing credit card

• 26-05-2021 6:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am with AIB and noticed that my credit card is about to reach it's maximum limit.
    The auto direct debit is not due for another two weeks.

Is there a way to clear off some amount? I remember paying the penalty last year for crossing the limit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Hi All,

I am with AIB and noticed that my credit card is about to reach it's maximum limit.
    The auto direct debit is not due for another two weeks.

Is there a way to clear off some amount? I remember paying the penalty last year for crossing the limit.

Thanks

Just pay it? If you have online banking you can pay any amount any time, you don’t need to wait for your DD.

Not trying to be being rude, but if you know so little about how your card works, maybe you shouldn’t have a credit card? They can be a black hole if your not aware of exactly how they operate, Talk to your bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

make a payment online or in person

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Just pay it? Not being rude, but if you know so little about how your card works, maybe you shouldn’t have a credit card? Talk to your bank

You can preach (with no knowledge of the op) but can't provide an answer?

Op - if it's a business card and the full amount comes out each month then you can't pay off mid month.

If it's a personal card you should be able to call into a branch and make a lodgement to the card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Darc19 wrote: »
    Op - if it's a business card and the full amount comes out each month then you can't pay off mid month.
    Yes you can. I've done it lots of times. Just transfer funds to the card, as whomitconcerns says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

You can either transfer money into it (like if it's another bank account, it should have its own IBAN for payment purposes) or call into your bank and ask them for help paying all or part of it. There is no limit on the number of payments you can make into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You can preach (with no knowledge of the op) but can't provide an answer?.

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I said say pay it and/or talk to your bank. They are the only two options for the op if they are unsure. Without coming up with scenarios like you suggested which may or may not be relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can preach (with no knowledge of the op) but can't provide an answer?

If it's a personal card you should be able to call into a branch and make a lodgement to the card.

Absolutely no need to call into a branch. Just transfer money to it thru the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

OP.. you should have the IBAN for payments on a recent bill. You must stick your credit card number in the payment reference so that it goes to paying off your balance.

It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You can pay it in your local Post Office as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

lawred2 wrote: »
    OP.. you should have the IBAN for payments on a recent bill. You must stick your credit card number in the payment reference so that it goes to paying off your balance.

It's as simple as that.

It's even simpler than that. If not already there, add it as a bill.Then, you can simply quick pay it. No need for a reference or anything else.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    It's even simpler than that. If not already there, add it as a bill.Then, you can simply quick pay it. No need for a reference or anything else.

that's likely alright

however it's not the same for all online banking... it's not that way for KBC anyway

definitely not that way if the card account wasn't with the same institution as the current account... But it's likely both with AIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

lawred2 wrote: »
    that's likely alright

however it's not the same for all online banking... it's not that way for KBC anyway

definitely not that way if the card account wasn't with the same institution as the current account... But it's likely both with AIB

I have a KBC credit card and it is automatically set up as a bill on the app. Can just send to it whenever and no need to mess with references or anything

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I have a KBC credit card and it is automatically set up as a bill on the app. Can just send to it whenever and no need to mess with references or anything

twasn't available like that moons ago... I've a saved payee anyway for it so it's much of a muchness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Get another credit card and pay it off with that

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Get another credit card and pay it off with that

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Well, I have credit card for the last 7 years and the purpose was to improve the chances of getting our mortgage approved (which did work).

It has quite high monthly limit and it has crossed the limit only once so far. So I never had to explore this area before.

But thanks everyone. I am gonna start with AIB mobile app and see how best i could transfer the money there.
    Not trying to be being rude, but if you know so little about how your card works, maybe you shouldn’t have a credit card? They can be a black hole if your not aware of exactly how they operate, Talk to your bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Are you paying crazy interest every month?? If so you better get paying it down or you won't have much left for your mortgage payment...

It might also be worth your while moving to a 0% card that might give you breathing room for six months to pay the total down without paying c. 23% interest.

Zero interest! I have always repaid on time and probably have 10x savings of the max limit on my credit card. And actually I am getting cashback every month!

Update: AIB doesn't have any the option to transfer the money from the main account to the credit card account. There is no account number for the credit card, it's just a card number for credit card.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Are you paying crazy interest every month?? If so you better get paying it down or you won't have much left for your mortgage payment...

It might also be worth your while moving to a 0% card that might give you breathing room for six months to pay the total down without paying c. 23% interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

They give a number of options for making payments to your credit card on their site?

Linky; penultimate question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Update: AIB doesn't have any the option to transfer the money from the main account to the credit card account. There is no account number for the credit card, it's just a card number for credit card.

You can pay it as a "bill" in the AIB app. You may need to add it as a bill somewhere first, or it may be in there automatically as a recipient, I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Yes there is, just click the menu, 'Pay & Transfer' and then 'Pay Bill'. Your credit card is automatically listed there. It's actually very simple on the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

For those who have Revolut, a nice little trick you can do (as long as your bill is less than half your balance) is.
    1. Deposit amount to Revolut with your card, equal to your bill.
    2. Immediately transfer the amount from Revolut to your bank.
    3. Once it hits your bank, immediately pay your full credit card bill.

By doing this you can carry a balance of max 50% of your limit indefinitely without interest. Very useful. In my case, the card transaction doesn't usually hit till after the lodgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭wandererz

Is your current account with AIB as well?
    If so, login on the website and setup the credit card as a quickpay account.

Then you can make a payment from the web or mobile app.
    Funds are there the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Post your credit card number, expiry date and CVV here and the good citizens of Boards.ie..... and perhaps Russia will be happy to resolve this minor inconvenience for you.

Yes, I have a current account with AIB.

There is no option to add a credit card account under "Quickpay" or anywhere else. It seems fishy, I think I need to ring AIB customer care at this stage.
    wandererz wrote: »
    Is your current account with AIB as well?
    If so, login on the website and setup the credit card as a quickpay account.

Then you can make a payment from the web or mobile app.
    Funds are there the next day.

Unfortunately, my credit card is not listed there. i have checked both on Mobile app and using their online desktop website.
    MooShop wrote: »
    Yes there is, just click the menu, 'Pay & Transfer' and then 'Pay Bill'. Your credit card is automatically listed there. It's actually very simple on the app.

3DataModem wrote: »
    For those who have Revolut, a nice little trick you can do (as long as your bill is less than half your balance) is.
    1. Deposit amount to Revolut with your card, equal to your bill.
    2. Immediately transfer the amount from Revolut to your bank.
    3. Once it hits your bank, immediately pay your full credit card bill.

By doing this you can carry a balance of max 50% of your limit indefinitely without interest. Very useful. In my case, the card transaction doesn't usually hit till after the lodgement.

Careful with that.. some card providers regards the transfer to revolut as a cash withdrawal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

the purpose was to improve the chances of getting our mortgage approved.

Would you not have had an easier time getting a mortgage without carrying unnecessary debt?

Yes, I have a current account with AIB.

There is no option to add a credit card account under "Quickpay" or anywhere else. It seems fishy, I think I need to ring AIB customer care at this stage.
    Unfortunately, my credit card is not listed there. i have checked both on Mobile app and using their online desktop website.

From the "Pay & Transfer" menu, choose "Pay a Bill" and you get this screen.

554263.png

From there, select your credit card, pop in the details and you now have the bill added to your quickpay.

554264.png

• Advertisement

Thank you so much!! It worked.

Just a note, please use a desktop computer. This option is not available in the AIB app.
    dotsman wrote: »
    From the "Pay & Transfer" menu, choose "Pay a Bill" and you get this screen.

554263.png

From there, select your credit card, pop in the details and you now have the bill added to your quickpay.

554264.png

Advertisement