Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Android Tablet for Kids

• 26-05-2021 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭

Ok hate to get one but looking for basic Android Tablet that I can load programs on Thomas, Dinosaurs,Paw Patrol etc

Was looking at the Amazon fire for Kids but seems only ships to the UK and not sure if I can load downloads onto it from external drive

Was looking possible to jailbreak it so that I can load ad blockers on it and Smart Tube on it so not sure with Amazon Fire. Also app to limit access etc

So any suggestions just to keep junior quiet for while to try and get some peace and quiet if there is such a thing;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭GIMP

Ok hate to get one but looking for basic Android Tablet that I can load programs on Thomas, Dinosaurs,Paw Patrol etc

Was looking at the Amazon fire for Kids but seems only ships to the UK and not sure if I can load downloads onto it from external drive

Was looking possible to jailbreak it so that I can load ad blockers on it and Smart Tube on it so not sure with Amazon Fire. Also app to limit access etc

So any suggestions just to keep junior quiet for while to try and get some peace and quiet if there is such a thing;)

Got ours a Lenovo M10 recently, fairly decent tablet, great battery 10inch screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

GIMP wrote: »
    Got ours a Lenovo M10 recently, fairly decent tablet, great battery 10inch screen.

Thanks can see its Android 9 has it been updated?

I mean it should be ok for basic use but possible to last long and option to update etc

Ya on Android 10 updated when we set it up first

GIMP wrote: »
    Ya on Android 10 updated when we set it up first

Is it below one?

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Tab-M10/p/ZZITZTATBBX

If not which one are you referring to ? Did you buy it directly from them?

I was onto their customer service and they said no plan to update to Android 10? However looking online says you can ??

Going to look into it more thanks

• Advertisement

this Samsung Tab a7 (2020 model) is superior in terms of cpu power (and gpu for games which the m10 is poor on), battery life (40% bigger), more ram, screen quality, quality of the speakers, overall build quality for less than 50 euro more

overall it's WAY better

has micro sd expansion for storing more videos etc

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08FMWY2QZ?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Is it below one?

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Tab-M10/p/ZZITZTATBBX

If not which one are you referring to ? Did you buy it directly from them?

I was onto their customer service and they said no plan to update to Android 10? However looking online says you can ??

Going to look into it more thanks

Same one as in link, bought in Powercity, definitely on Android 10.

glasso wrote: »
    this Samsung Tab a7 (2020 model) is superior in terms of cpu power (and gpu for games which the m10 is poor on), battery life (40% bigger), more ram, screen quality, quality of the speakers, overall build quality for less than 50 euro more

overall it's WAY better

has micro sd expansion for storing more videos etc

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08FMWY2QZ?tag=haggle-web-de-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_GB

Cheers went for this maybe overkill but at least we can use it as well as Kids

Cheers went for this maybe overkill but at least we can use it as well as Kids

yes does broaden the uses and will have a tablet that is usable for years to come

the cheaper options like the m10 or further down the line things like the fire tablets are just a good bit worse value overall

yes does broaden the uses and will have a tablet that is usable for years to come

the cheaper options like the m10 or further down the line things like the fire tablets are just a good bit worse value overall

Got it and working great

However have a USB type c hub and attached an external drive to the hub via usb port.

However going into fx explorer I cannot see it. I use this external drive for windows so take it I need to do something first in order for Tablet to read it?

as long as its not formatting it then i am ok

Can an external drive be both readable via Windows Pc and Android? Put in USB key and can see that

• Advertisement

usb hubs for laptops are not something that would typically be sold as working with android tablets so I would assume that they don't as a baselline.

I'd try to attach the hard drive using an OTG cable as a first step

I'd try to attach the hard drive using an OTG cable as a first step

The hard drive does not have a USB c cable so looking for something to convert usb c to male usb cable i think

The hard drive does not have a USB c cable so looking for something to convert usb c to male usb cable i think

you need this or something like this

but sometimes a similar adaptor comes with a phone (maybe not a tablet)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Adapter-Samsung-Oneplus-Blackview/dp/B072V9CNTK

usb c (male) to usb a (female)

you need this or something like this

but sometimes a similar adaptor comes with a phone (maybe not a tablet)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Adapter-Samsung-Oneplus-Blackview/dp/B072V9CNTK

usb c (male) to usb a (female)

Yes I have a USB hub but looking for female to male to use hub with desktop pc. The hub I have is below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H4VQ4BZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_37NZ3A48GDVXK8W0MGE7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But have films cartoons stored on external hard drive. I can hook up to laptop and desktop. However can't transfer these directly to tablet, need to format drive.

Currently have to transfer these to the micro card rather than loading up directly to tablet

using a cheap micro sd card probably preferable for media storage tbh to leave internal storage for apps

Coming back to this as looking to buy another tablet as Parents using the Samsung Tab a7🙄. Had a look at the Fire tablets and don't think in the long term they would be any good and limited with the apps

Any other suggestions as old tablet we had for kids is beginning to fade and battery not great.So looking for something that has good battery also and just looked at Samsung and Lenovo on Amazon

Any suggestions welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nedd

I bought a Fire 7 tablet a few years ago. It is almost unusable at this stage. It is so laggy and without the google play ecosystem not very intuitive to use. It is gathering dust.. I have factory reset a few time and doesn't help much.

My advice is pay a few bob extra and get something better.

I did manage to get an iPad through work about 6 years ago and that's what the kids use now. It is rock solid and still getting updates. I know the price is considerable bigger than what people are looking for but in the long run it will last much better than a cheap device.

Yes I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and I might give that to the kids and then buy either a new Samsung or Lenovo (not an apple fan)

Agree re Fire tablet. In the short term ok but after that it would gather dust

So if any suggestions let us know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why are you attaching a hard drive. Get SDCard for it.

• Advertisement

Yes have an SD Card but was just using drive to load up films on and take with us in case needed

I got one fire tablet. Hated it. Too locked down to Amazons eco system, and really life's too short to go hacking to get around them.

We've done ok with Samsung tablets. All Androids fall out of support too soon, but its not that critical for a kids tablet.

iPads are better. But you either want to be in the Apple World and pay through the nose for everything or you don't. I hate the lack of SD card card and the lack of proper file system.

If the child is into art consider a device with pen support.

Get a big SD card. Kids and hard drive hanging off a cable will not end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Fire tablet purchased 3.5 years ago unusable even after resets.

Youngest has Samsung Tab A 10inch tablet which I got her 4.5 years ago. Since battery will now only charge to 76% and she is very particular when it comes to controls etc, I started a search for a replacement that would be similar to Samsung. Ended up getting the below Nokia tablet thinking I'd use it myself and when Samsung dies completely, I'll hand it over to her. Well, she now prefers Nokia to Samsung. Speakers on it are so good that she uses it on the lowest volume possible otherwise it's too loud.

https://www.soundstore.ie/nokia-10-4-2k-4gb-64gb-deep-blue-android-11-tablet-f20rid1a012.html

Get forward facing Stereo speakers if possible.

Advertisement