Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Cassidy's Casebook Documentary Series..

• 26-05-2021 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭

Finished this 3 part series last night - wow - v good.. anyone else watch it?

The only criticism I would have about it though is that I found her comments inappropriate at times.. eg. in the 1st ep, she was laughing when talking about the Ballintra murder.. and in the 3rd ep, she said "I have walked through a lot of victim's homes.. some nice, some not so nice".. ekk.. I hope the families of the victims were not watching.. but as she said in the 1st ep. she couldn't be a regular Dr. cos she lacked empathy.. so I guess that explains why she can perhaps be a bit insensitive,.. and anyway, I guess you would need to be hard as nails when working in pathology..

Still - thought it was really great - like the structure of the prog.. some of the storylines wer harrowing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

black humour is a characteristic of doctors/gardai/medical people/firefighters. Not often suitable for regular humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stovepipe wrote: »
    black humour is a characteristic of doctors/gardai/medical people/firefighters. Not often suitable for regular humans.

Yes it is among themselves , but an unwritten rule is you keep it among your colleagues .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Suckler

Stovepipe wrote: »
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes it is among themselves , but an unwritten rule is you keep it among your colleagues .

I don't think it was 'humour' (Black or otherwise), just a remark on how crime can occur in varied places i.e. it can happen to anyone. I don't see how families could take offence to it. Nothing to do with empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Suckler wrote: »
    I don't think it was 'humour' (Black or otherwise), just a remark on how crime can occur in varied places i.e. it can happen to anyone. I don't see how families could take offence to it. Nothing to do with empathy.

I didnt actually either to be fair . I was simply answering a post about black humour

I thought Dr Cassidy was very empathetic towards families and especially Manuela Riedos parents

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

sporina wrote: »
    Finished this 3 part series last night - wow - v good.. anyone else watch it?

The only criticism I would have about it though is that I found her comments inappropriate at times.. eg. in the 1st ep, she was laughing when talking about the Ballintra murder.. and in the 3rd ep, she said "I have walked through a lot of victim's homes.. some nice, some not so nice".. ekk.. I hope the families of the victims were not watching.. but as she said in the 1st ep. she couldn't be a regular Dr. cos she lacked empathy.. so I guess that explains why she can perhaps be a bit insensitive,.. and anyway, I guess you would need to be hard as nails when working in pathology..

Still - thought it was really great - like the structure of the prog.. some of the storylines wer harrowing

Tbf I took the comment about some houses being nice and some not meaning the circumstances of the death more than the house itselr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

Despite my slight grievance, still enjoyed the doc's (if one can say that given the content but you know what I mean) - and respect to Marie - no easy feat..

i was surprised that i didn't rem many of the cases.. but unfortunately there have been s many over the years..

and I didn't know she worked in Kosovo or Bosnia.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Can't wait for her obituary. "didnt suffer fools gladly" will feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thinking back over crime fiction on television series, it seems to be a convention that pathologists are always a bit eccentric...

in real life, too, I believe.

I mean you make your living cutting up dead bodies. Need a mad sense of humour for that!

Even so, she was a detailed and professional forensic scientist, and very good at her job.

Advertisement