Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Resident in Ireland

Options
  • 26-05-2021 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Something I've always wondered about is how so many wealthy business people avoid paying income tax in Ireland. I've known a few myself that did it and could never wrap my head around how they did it.

According to CitizensInformation.ie a tax resident of Ireland is the following;

You are resident for tax purposes for a year if: You spend 183 days or more in Ireland in that year from 1 January – 31 December or, If you spend 280 days or more in Ireland over a period of two consecutive tax years, you will be regarded as resident for the second tax year.

Revenue classify a day as;

"Usually a day means any part of a day. In some circumstances, if you spend part of a day in Ireland it will not be included in your total days present in Ireland".

If you resided in say Donegal but only spend 182 "days" there and the rest of the time in Belfast would that then make you tax exempt given that Belfast technically belongs to the UK tax system.

Do you need to plan your days out and inform revenue that you will not be a tax resident or do you add them up at the end of year and then can claw back your tax?

Surely they also look for proof that you've been out of the country for X amount of days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Something I've always wondered about is how so many wealthy business people avoid paying income tax in Ireland. I've known a few myself that did it and could never wrap my head around how they did it.

Do you need to plan your days out and inform revenue that you will not be a tax resident or do you add them up at the end of year and then can claw back your tax?

Surely they also look for proof that you've been out of the country for X amount of days?

You simply tick the relevant boxes on the Form 11 (and provide the additional details required) and it's then up to Revenue to decide whether they want you to to provide supporting evidence, if they decide to investigate you.

Revenue's policy (summarised below) is that they trust taxpayers to tell the truth on their tax returns, but if they investigate someone and it turns out that they haven't been honest, they throw the book at them - fines, penalties, interest and possibly a criminal prosecution.
    "Presumption of honesty

You can expect: to be treated as honest in your dealings with Revenue unless there is clear reason to believe otherwise and subject to Revenue's responsibility for ensuring compliance with tax and customs law.

We expect you: to deal in an honest way with Revenue by returning the tax and duty which you are due to pay and seeking only those entitlements and tax credits to which you are due.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

You simply tick the relevant boxes on the Form 11 (and provide the additional details required) and it's then up to Revenue to seek whatever supporting evidence they require, if they decide to investigate you.

Revenue's policy (summarised below) is that they trust taxpayers to tell the truth on their tax returns, but if they investigate someone and it turns out that they haven't been honest, they throw the book at them - fines, penalties, interest and possibly a criminal prosecution.

It would be interesting to see how many people actually do this every year. Anyone have any ideas of figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It would be interesting to see how many people actually do this every year. Anyone have any ideas of figures?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/information-about-revenue/statistics/index.aspx

There might be something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭homingbird

At the moment there is no border between north & south ireland to stamp your passport so how do they know how many days you spend in either country.

It also leaves it open to living in spain & return via belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

homingbird wrote: »
    At the moment there is no border between north & south ireland to stamp your passport so how do they know how many days you spend in either country.

It also leaves it open to living in spain & return via belfast.

As mentioned above, it's up to the taxpayer to tell the truth.

They would also have to show that they were paying taxes in the country where they claimed to be residing for the other 180+ days. And revenue can check this. But if they were investigated, then presumably the onus would be on them to prove that they were out of the country, not on Revenue to prove that they weren't! If they couldn't prove it, then they'd probably be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭homingbird

Is it possible to open a bank account in another country just living in a rented property.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Are you, perchance, a Revenue cyber trooper?

ulster wrote: »
    Are you, perchance, a Revenue cyber trooper?

Revenue have upped their game if that's the case. I've actually heard that they do keep an eye on these types of forums too.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

I know for a fact there's Revenue employees who regularly browse and post on here.

According to CitizensInformation.ie a tax resident of Ireland is the following;

You are resident for tax purposes for a year if: You spend 183 days or more in Ireland in that year from 1 January – 31 December or, If you spend 280 days or more in Ireland over a period of two consecutive tax years, you will be regarded as resident for the second tax year.

Revenue classify a day as;

"Usually a day means any part of a day. In some circumstances, if you spend part of a day in Ireland it will not be included in your total days present in Ireland".

If you resided in say Donegal but only spend 182 "days" there and the rest of the time in Belfast would that then make you tax exempt given that Belfast technically belongs to the UK tax system.

Asking for a friend by the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement