Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Alarming' rise in False Widow spiders in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's one I found in my mobile home in 2019. Been finding them there since 2017 (Co. Clare). I used to catch them and put them outside (I don't mind spiders at all), but since they're an invasive species, I just kill them now. Found one in my house this year, but I assume there's others about.

None of us have ever been bitten that we're aware of, but I did find two small scabs on my chest last year that looked like a spider bite. No pain or ill effects, though.

554239.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there anything that eats them and where can we get some...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is there anything that eats them and where can we get some...

They can eat lizards, so there's no hope of anything eating them, except maybe Godzilla.

Edit: you could try the old strategy of using birds to eat them, but then you need to get cats to eat the birds, dogs to eat the cats and by the time you're done, you end up filling your house with horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Has the question been asked if they're actually harmful to our native spiders and do they represent a threat to other native species, I could probably google it but I've this written now so I'll just post it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

This last couple of years I've noticed what I think might be false widow spiders in my bathroom. I'm just not 100% sure its them. I'll post a pic next time on here.

Is there any distribution map of Ireland showing were numbers are highest. Any county relatively untouched by them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hoovered up one and a load of eggs at the weekend. Is there anything that can be put down to kill them?

Fire. Best to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I have to say, the very LAST thing I would do is vacuum them up. I'd be afraid that they'd thrive in there, only to emerge in their hundreds some night, out through the hose, up the stairs, quietly and stealthily across the bedroom carpet. Some climbing into a slipper, or a casually draped shirt with one sleeve low enough for them to jump up into (I think about a meter:eek::D).

Those who can't reach the the trailing shirt sleeves can climb the divan, under the duvet and hide in any warm folds :D they can find.

The sure sign that they're hiding in your bed, is that you don't notice them till they bite you.

Sleep tight everyone.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Is there any distribution map of Ireland showing were numbers are highest. Any county relatively untouched by them?

The National Biodiversity Data Centre has this one, but it relies on the public submitting entries and is woefully incomplete.

https://maps.biodiversityireland.ie/Species/182973

I have to say, the very LAST thing I would do is vacuum them up. I'd be afraid that they'd thrive in there, only to emerge in their hundreds some night, out through the hose, up the stairs, quietly and stealthily across the bedroom carpet. Some climbing into a slipper, or a casually draped shirt with one sleeve low enough for them to jump up into (I think about a meter:eek::D).

Those who can't reach the the trailing shirt sleeves can climb the divan, under the duvet and hide in any warm folds :D they can find.

The sure sign that they're hiding in your bed, is that you don't notice them till they bite you.

Sleep tight everyone.

Bagless hoover that was tipped straight into a barrel of fire.

Bagless hoover that was tipped straight into a barrel of fire.

Now, have you NEVER watched spider films. ONE always escapes the inferno, female carrying a sac of eggs. With photographic memory, and the ability to command a legion.

I got into my shed last year or the year before and emptied out everything. Then I went round gathering spiders and relocating them to the other side of the garden wall. Anything that looked like a False Widow was immediately dispatched to spider heaven. I think that was 2 or 3. There's a hidey hole in the window frame and THAT's where one can always be found. I tend not to stick my finger in there. :pac:

A few years ago I bought a spray in B & Q, you're supposed to spray it on hard surfaces where the spiders walk about. Its the act of walking on it that kills them (if the instructions are to be believed). The tin has vanished and search as I might, I've never seen it since in Woodies or B & Q, and of course, I can't remember the name of the stuff. It was the same size as fly killer. To be honest though, I'd only spray it if I could try to limit the damage to targeting only False Widows.

• Advertisement

A few years ago I bought a spray in B & Q, you're supposed to spray it on hard surfaces where the spiders walk about. Its the act of walking on it that kills them (if the instructions are to be believed). The tin has vanished and search as I might, I've never seen it since in Woodies or B & Q, and of course, I can't remember the name of the stuff. It was the same size as fly killer. To be honest though, I'd only spray it if I could try to limit the damage to targeting only False Widows.

Omigod are you saying the spiders disappeared the tin knowing the threat it posed to them???

Omigod are you saying the spiders disappeared the tin knowing the threat it posed to them???

Well, foolishly I left it in the shed after spraying it - only once. Now I can't find it. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say, I always tell someone where I'm going, if I'm heading for the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

Hopefully the Irish spiders robbed it to protect the boundaries of their own territory.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Well, foolishly I left it in the shed after spraying it - only once. Now I can't find it. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say, I always tell someone where I'm going, if I'm heading for the shed.

I assume that you've drawn up your will? If not then it may not be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Watch your gas and electricity meter boxes, the feckers love them, Dublin 4 for whatever reason is full of them...

I was bitten by one there years ago, was like a wasp sting, was grand though after thankfully...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Claymores.

This guys is brilliant lol.

We found one inside the car, hiding under the lever for opening the petrol cap. Big f*cker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. Only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wibbs wrote: »
    I got bitten by one in 2019. Out in the garden taking clothes off the line. I disturbed one that had hidden in the fold at the top where the peg was. Bit me in the thumb, quick as you like. No pain initially so just thought it had run over the thumb. Then the pain started. Like a wasp sting. Then the burning in the thumb started and it swelled up within five minutes to a third bigger than normal. That died down after a few hours, but the burning pain remained for about a day.
    Even Cowgirls Get The Blues!

Very useful for hitchhiking... :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

grassylawn wrote: »
    I don't get the "don't kill" advice. I always smash the ****ers - with something with a bit of reach.
    Arent they an invasive species, so why the no kill thing?

I think the no kill advice is because most people aren't able to tell different species apart so they don't want a massacre of innocent harmless species which would no doubt have some sort of unintended consequence like the country being overrun with locusts or something.

I have yet to come across one of these but then I'm a bit OCD about hoovering and dusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

I'm just wondering is this a urban infestation of these Alien hoors? I live out the sticks and my house is the frequent haunt of all sorts of spiders, the biggest I have here are the wolf spider species, I have never seen or encountered these false widows at all. And my garden & workshop shed ain't in the best state to the eye looking to get pleased, I cut the grass about once every three weeks and keep a lot of patches wild. The workshop is in a truly dank state and never seen this species but is filled with all sorts of other spiders, which I give no bother to. Just wondering if this is a urban/semi urban problem, the types of gardens and houses that keep gardens pristine and flood the gardens with all sorts of chemicals to keep them looking good and free of pests, but could maybe inviting these canary alien hoors into the area?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Well, aren't I glad I read this article in bed

#BiteAnyHumans is trending on Twitter for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone see the RTE News just now?

Noble False Widow bite on woman's leg - gruesome!

Is this the same false widow we are talking about or is the Noble a distinct variety?

Not your ornery onager

The way forward here is to kill every spider you come across, just in case.

Hmm, you know the way when you're reading in bed and you think you caught something through the corner of your eye, and then you turn to look, but there's nothing there.. are you SURE there was nothing there???

Still, it might just be an ordinary spider.:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So is the spider.

All Eyes On Rafah

buried wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is a urban/semi urban problem, the types of gardens and houses that keep gardens pristine

First time I saw one was 2017 in my mobile home, which is in a field in the west of Ireland right beside the Atlantic. Found them there regularly there since then, they have no problem surviving the winter in an unheated mobile. I’ve only seen one in my house (which is in a mid-sized town), and that was a couple of weeks ago.

Esel wrote: »
    Anyone see the RTE News just now?

Noble False Widow bite on woman's leg - gruesome!

Is this the same false widow we are talking about or is the Noble a distinct variety?

Same one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I normally wouldn't be too fussy about doing a deep vacuuming every week. I just hoovered every inch of the house. I don't know if that helps, but I feel better.

Advertisement