Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Alarming' rise in False Widow spiders in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

KILL THEM WITH FIRE

9b884ad8b597769bf15ccb661466066e.jpg

Done!!

Any chance of spare bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

xhomelezz wrote: »
    9b884ad8b597769bf15ccb661466066e.jpg

Done!!

Any chance of spare bedroom?

For you or the spider?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

For you or the spider?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Let me tell you my spider story.

I was traveling around Mongolia for a month. This typically involves being days away from a city, being hours away from a shop (by "shop" I mean some sort of wooden hut selling beers, soft drinks and chocolate), and in general having none of the comforts we have in Ireland.

So at night I would sleep in Mongolian tents. These are basically open air tents with no floor, sort of like a circus tent except with a big hole at the top to let smoke out.

I spent two weeks in the Gobi desert. There's nothing there except the most amazing landscape, lizards, vultures, camels, and spiders. Millions and millions of spiders.

If you're lucky your tent will have a bed (not really a bed) but usually you have to sleep on the ground. In other words, on the hard sand. This is usually fine, because you're so tired and battle hardened at that stage that you can sleep anywhere. But holy ****, the spiders. They drop from the roof onto you. They also come in from outside the tent. Dozens of them crawling into your sleeping bag and on your body and face and arms. But what are you going to do? Stay awake all night for your entire trip? So you just close your eyes and accept it. In the morning you wake up covered in bites.

They're not tarantula ****ers, but they're bigger than Irish spiders. Sort of like large false widows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Kill on sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

kifi wrote: »
    spray adhesive

Effective trap... but does that leave a mess on the surface? How do you clean the gunk away?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I hope there are no Aussies reading this thread.

Mortifying.

I hope there are no Aussies reading this thread.

Mortifying.

It's a bit different really. They grow up on a continent that is constantly trying to kill you. Whether it's snakes, crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish, spiders, d1ckhead kangaroos, or that it's 1/4 mile away from the surface of the sun.

We have badgers.

All Eyes On Rafah

It's a bit different really. They grow up on a continent that is constantly trying to kill you. Whether it's snakes, crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish, spiders, d1ckhead kangaroos, or that it's 1/4 mile away from the surface of the sun.

We have badgers.

And despite all of that, it was a war against emus that they lost.

And despite all of that, it was a war against emus that they lost.

The Emus wanted it more.

EDOw9k_XkAEc_IA.jpg

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We have badgers.

Dont mess with the badgers or theyll object to your planning permission

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

grassylawn wrote: »
    I have seen a number of them in the last few years and none before. They lurk outside in places like lift-up boxes and inside drain access points. What I find most interesting is that my instinctive reaction is a cold fear at the top of my spine, which I never experience with other spiders. I felt that the first time I saw them before reading they could actually hurt humans. And it wasn't because they were unknown. Just yesterday I saw a white spider on a flower that I hadn't seen before and had nothing like that reaction. I wonder if it is ancestoral memory, reacting to something that looks like a black widow.

I don't get the "don't kill" advice. I always smash the ****ers - with something with a bit of reach.

:D !! waiting there, just waiting to bite someone the evil little f*ckers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Still not sure if what I found recently in my kitchen was a cupboard spider or a noble false widow, placed it outside.
    It's markings were unfamiliar to me but it was more that it seemed almost that it had an armoured abdomen, the spider seemed lethargic, so Im wondering if it just birthed its babies and was on its way to die,

It seems they can be tackled by weaver spiders and daddy long legs, somewhat regretting hoovering up the daddy long legs I saw in the months before that.

Leave the daddy longlegs alone they eat those false widows for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Scutter article that does the rounds nearly every summer.

MSM selling fear to the masses as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

One less to worry about
    554519.jpg

The ****er rang the doorbell, tried to sneak in when I answered

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Did he actually ring the doorbell or did you make that bit up?

Bell rang, I answered. Caught him sneaking in. I watched enough Murder She rWrote ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had to check my bed now before I get into it after this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Yay
    An environmental scientist has warned of the possible impact of the Asian hornet, a large wasp-like species that has been discovered for the first time in Ireland last week.

RTE

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Got bitten on the hand a few years ago. It swelled up really bad, got antibiotics from gp.

A friend got bitten on the leg last week, she's on antibiotics currently but may have to go to hospital if swelling does not go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Got bitten on the hand a few years ago. It swelled up really bad, got antibiotics from gp.

A friend got bitten on the leg last week, she's on antibiotics currently but may have to go to hospital if swelling does not go down.

I hope these fcukers get spider covid and all die.
    Ugly little barstards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Have seen them at work in the ventilation shafts etc.

One was living beside the handles of one of the doors:eek: The do scarper quickly if they see movement.

Horrible looking but still can't bring myself to kill a spider, even an evil looking one.

Killed a money spider by accident last week and still annoyed.

The unfortunate thing is some people are going to start killing all spiders as they won’t spend the time identifying which are ok and which are harmful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Took apart my old shed a couple of weeks ago and there must have been easily 30 or 40 false widows that I came across in the shed.

Not the first time Ive seen them here but was surprised at the amount of them

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Can they ring door bells?

What.Now wrote: »
    Can they ring door bells?

Some spiders can, like the diving bell spider- they can’t resist diving onto your bell:pac:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_bell_spider

The unfortunate thing is some people are going to start killing all spiders as they won’t spend the time identifying which are ok and which are harmful

Yeah, that could happen. Although when you come across a false widow you know nearly instantly its one. Just looks and carry itself so different from native spiders.

The other post is also right though. They are definitely people shy, whenever I come across one it scurry away as fast is it can.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm properly terrified of spiders. No idea why and always have been..

My house has plenty of the spindly guys though that live in corners and such. I only learned recently that they kill other spiders.

Ive never minded those ones so much so I leave them be, even more so now I know the good work they do on my behalf. The house is in less danger of being set alight

Advertisement