Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Alarming' rise in False Widow spiders in Ireland

Options
123457»

Comments

Weepsie wrote: »
    My house has plenty of the spindly guys though that live in corners and such. I only learned recently that they kill other spiders.

Ive never minded those ones so much so I leave them be, even more so now I know the good work they do on my behalf.

The spiders they eat are also very likely doing good work on your behalf too though. Ask yourself what are _those_ spiders eating? And how much of what they are eating would your house be full of if your house was entirely emptied of spiders tomorrow and forever?

Whenever a prey species is removed - you have to wonder what will happen to the population of the prey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Took apart my old shed a couple of weeks ago and there must have been easily 30 or 40 false widows that I came across in the shed.

Not the first time Ive seen them here but was surprised at the amount of them

I assume you've alerted the relevant authorities to ensure everything in a 1km radius is burnt to the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I assume you've alerted the relevant authorities to ensure everything in a 1km radius is burnt to the ground?

Bit conservative I'd say. Particularly at this stage. Might need a Tsar bomb.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I said we should take off and nuke it from orbit..

Its the only way to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I have a pic of one but no idea how to post a pic through touch site..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I may have been bitten by one a couple of years ago. I thought it was just a normal pregnant-looking spider. It bit the back of my hand when I was trying to put it outside. A bit like a wasp sting, but not as painful (although it's at least 30 years since I've been stung by a wasp, so I don't know) and no noticeable swelling afterwards.

Maybe if you weren't playing good samaritan and just stomped on it in the first place then no bite.

Next thing you know the non false widow will arrive and take up residence.
    Sure haven't we already gotten fecking snakes loose around the place.

Does anyone know if there is anything we could import to eat them up?
    You know like a cane toad or some such.:rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jmayo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is anything we could import to eat them up?
    You know like a cane toad or some such.:rolleyes:

according to the song it has to be a bird:
    fly->spider->bird->cat->dog->goat->cow->horse->old lady

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭archfi

Which ones are the domestic spiders eating the invader?
    The long spindly yokes?
    If so, how do they manage that then?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

From the article:

What do pholcid spiders eat?
    Although they look like delicate beings, they definitely punch above their weight when it comes to their eating habits. These spiders are the natural enemy of the large house spiders seen running around your home. Not a fussy eater, the Pholcid spider will also feed on flies, bees, wasps and even other Pholcids when food is scarce. Cannibalism can be common in the natural world.

Not just content with waiting for food to land in its own web, the Pholcid spider will visit the webs of other spiders and eat the occupants! It’s pretty sneaky about it too. It will vibrate on the web, pretending to be a helpless insect tangled in the silk until the unsuspecting spider leaps out expecting an easy meal and ends up as dinner itself!

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/insects-invertebrates/facts-about-pholcid-spider/

Sneaky darlings

Advertisement