Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I'm an Analist. Cash job, make a fortune. Also make shît up

Why would I lie ?

Why would I lie ?

Because you're an Analist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Because you're an Analist

What does that mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

notAMember wrote: »
    Apologies for the unsolicited feedback, but your pension contributions are quite low. If you can afford it, bump up those AVCs.

Pensions are a pure scam, if you've money invest it independently, and skip the AVCs. Sure you get a bit of a tax break, but the returns are abysmal even when the general market returns are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭OEP

tails_naf wrote: »
    Pensions are a pure scam, if you've money invest it independently, and skip the AVCs. Sure you get a bit of a tax break, but the returns are abysmal even when the general market returns are decent.

Depends on what kind of fund you put it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You're doing pensions wrong then.

Awful advice and I'd urge everyone to not listen to it tbh. In fact, it's probably the worst piece of financial advice I've read on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Dante

That is incredibly stupid advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

fvp4 wrote: »
    What’s that to you though?

In general if there is a reason for the meeting to be held there they can expense some but not all of the trip. Not the entry to the F1, unless that was for a client.

The real reason for the meeting to be held there is to provide an F1 junction for the husband and wife who run the business. They'll find a compliant client to bring along for the ride too. The joys of self-employed business ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

What good is a pension when you'll either be too old or dead to enjoy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You can tell us when you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

My father retired at 62/63.

His pensions provide him with income, and will do so for hopefully at least 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whatever people thinking people are telling lies here, saying that pensions are a waste of time is perhaps the biggest lie of the thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Most of them aren't real so I wouldn't worry

You have nothing to back up that statement. Nearly all my friends would clear 60k+ and quite a few on 90k+. We all work in tech/trade jobs. It's usually low earners who spout the BS as they picked low earning fields and need to lie to themselves to perk themselves up.

6 wrote: »
    You're doing pensions wrong then.

Awful advice and I'd urge everyone to not listen to it tbh. In fact, it's probably the worst piece of financial advice I've read on here.

Thats the problem, the folks (pension providers in Ireland) who do them are doing them wrong. They get paid the same % from my pension pot no mater if the fund has a good or bad return. In most cases the 'management' they are doing is buying a vanguard fund anyway, so they are just middlemen taking a cut. When the NASDAQ outperorms a 'growth' fund significantly, its clear these are a scam. You can bet folks with real money are not using it for AVCs, but are getting it properly invested. As it happens I do pay into a pension fund, but only as my employer matches employee contributions, so that's a good return despite the funds poor performances on average.

Geuze wrote: »
    My father retired at 62/63.

His pensions provide him with income, and will do so for hopefully at least 25 years.

Sure, but if it's astandard/ private pension (i.e. Not defined benefit) I'd bet in real terms that income is a small portion of his final salary, despite pretty large contributions over the years. I put in over 18k last year (employer and employee), yet my projected return per annum is pitiful, less tha 20k in today's money. So contribute for 40 years and get paid back less, for 25 (if you live that long). Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Thats the problem, the folks (pension providers in Ireland) who do them are doing them wrong. They get paid the same % from my pension pot no mater if the fund has a good or bad return. In most cases the 'management' they are doing is buying a vanguard fund anyway, so they are just middlemen taking a cut. When the NASDAQ outperorms a 'growth' fund significantly, its clear these are a scam. You can bet folks with real money are not using it for AVCs, but are getting it properly invested. As it happens I do pay into a pension fund, but only as my employer matches employee contributions, so that's a good return despite the funds poor performances on average.

My pension fund turns 300 euro into 500 euro automatically every month. Then it gets invested.
    Try beat that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭OEP

Folks with real money don't pay 40% income tax on the money they invest though, it's done through companies

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Iguarantee

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    My pension fund turns 300 euro into 500 euro automatically every month. Then it gets invested.
    Try beat that

Executive pension? Snap! :D

Sure, but if it's astandard/ private pension (i.e. Not defined benefit) I'd bet in real terms that income is a small portion of his final salary, despite pretty large contributions over the years. I put in over 18k last year (employer and employee), yet my projected return per annum is pitiful, less tha 20k in today's money. So contribute for 40 years and get paid back less, for 25 (if you live that long). Nice.

For someone that thinks pensions are a waste of time, putting 18k into it in a year seems a strange thing to do. Or a lie.

• Advertisement

Whatever people thinking people are telling lies here, saying that pensions are a waste of time is perhaps the biggest lie of the thread so far.

Pension providers have no incentive to perform well on the funds they offer. You have to buy one of their funds to get the tax breaks, they get paid exactly the same if they perform well or not. For the average Joe, they are the only option, but show me one with a good return, please before you tell me how great they are

For someone that thinks pensions are a waste of time, putting 18k into it in a year seems a strange thing to do. Or a lie.

My employer matches my contrib plus 2 % up to 8%, I put in 8%, they put in 10%. The maths is easy to work out. No. Lies, but if it was not for that contribution match making it a good deal, the return would be poor.

My employer matches my contrib plus 2 % up to 8%, I put in 8%, they put in 10%. The maths is easy to work out. No. Lies, but if it was not for that contribution match making it a good deal, the return would be poor.

Well there's mine. See pic attached. 54% growth over the last 5 years. Plus the tax relief I get. Plus my employers contribution.

I know I pay charges on that but it's still very significant returns.

Well there's mine. See pic attached. 54% growth over the last 5 years. Plus the tax relief I get. Plus my employers contribution.

I know I pay charges on that but it's still very significant returns.

And the NASDAQ has grown 198% over the same time. Still think it's an amazing investment?

556439.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Average life expectancy in Ireland is 82.

Retirement age is 66. 16 years of retirement on average.

While the retirement age is guaranteed to rise, so will life expectancy.
    The people who are dying at 82 today were born when Hitler was marching armies into Poland. Antibiotics had only been discovered 10 years previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

While I see the benefit of pensions having one myself, the other side of this argument is that it is only any good if you survive to use it.

Most contributory pensions go to your dependents in the event of a death.

Why save for anything at all if this is your view point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

While I see the benefit of pensions having one myself, the other side of this argument is that it is only any good if you survive to use it.

The average length of retirement is 18.2 years in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helloquestion

35k base or 40k with bonuses, MNC company am 25 years old, with bachelors degree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Deleted post in case of colleagues identifying me. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And the NASDAQ has grown 198% over the same time. Still think it's an amazing investment?

556439.jpg

Oversimplified but:

1) Invest in NASDAQ:
    I earn 1k gross, I take home about 650. I invest it in the NASDAQ for 5 years and it grows 198%, leaving me with ~2k in total and ~1350 in gains. I pay 40% exit tax on the gains and end up with a total of 650 + 810 = 1460

2) I put it in my pension:
    I earn 1k gross to go into my pension: (I think) I pay USC and PRSI at 11% so 890 goes into the pension. My employer matches it and it's already more than the above without any gains calculated...

Advertisement