Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭French Toast

onrail wrote: »
    Don't see many on here, but I'd love to hear what tradespeople are making right now. Roofers, blocklayers, sparks etc.

Have in my head that it would be in the region of €90-150k but could be way off.

Local building contractor here reckons electricians could be taking home between 55-60k. Serious shortages of labour, seemingly.

🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

mloc123 wrote: »
    Graduate developers are starting on ~55k in my current company... base salary. They then get stock and bonus on top of that.

Jesus I'm doing development work and earning less than that as base salary. With 7 years experience :eek:

Though I'm classed as 'support' despite the fact I it's 50/50 split (sometimes 70/30 dev/support).

I'm 10 mins from home though and it's pretty much stress free, and no overtime ever expected. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Local building contractor here reckons electricians could be taking home between 55-60k. Serious shortages of labour, seemingly.

Thought it'd be way more given the shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

mloc123 wrote: »
    Graduate developers are starting on ~55k in my current company... base salary. They then get stock and bonus on top of that.

Jezus, send me on the name there bud, Im getting underpaid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭floorpie

If there's any reason WFH will end it's to stop the geographical arbitrage and job hopping that will come from threads like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

mid level civil servant, 49k

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

Engineer with 8 years experience in the biotech sector. Currently contracting on about 115kpa. Can be stressful at times but my role is fairly specialized at this point so very little else I could be doing without going through retraining of some kind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

IT manager. Base pay is 70K however package includes 15% bonus, Health insurance for family, 7% pension contribution, Life insurance, salary protection for sickness (6 months full pay and then 66% until retirement god forbid I ever need to use that though!) up to 10k training allowance per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Insurance industry in the audit / compliance area, around €65k basic, bonus, 10% pension contribution, half price insurance for myself and spouse. My employer has also paid for me to do a professional qualification over the last 12 months, 4 exams at €650 a pop, they cover membership fees for a couple of professional bodies I have to be in too. Enjoying the work, busy at the moment, pondering working at this for a few more years, get them to pay for a few more qualifications then start my own consultancy business in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I am a teacher or PE, SPHE and religion.

I earn €45,000 per anum.

I have 17 weeks of annual leave per year.

I work about 19 hours per week.

For PE, I just organise a game of football and leave them to it, for SPHE and Religion, I just sit on my phone and let them do homework or study.

I do be exhausted at the end of the week..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Pay can differ wildly depending on your industry. I had to get my P60s recently to reapply for a mortgage and I earned 66% more in 2019 vs 2018 for basically doing the exact same job in a different company (that's total so includes all bonuses etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Brother in law GF , straight out of ucc , did BIS , first job with VM ware cork , starting 42k and a bunch of time off allowances , mental health days and all this , covid days so a day off, and more
    aged 21

Work in IT, between base salary, bonus, stocks, company pension contribution, VHI and cash bonuses, total salary varies between 90-92k per annum.

Essentially no pressure in job but becoming extremely bored with IT and the job in general. Can't complain, realize how lucky I am to earn what I do without any real pressure. A worker bee doing software engineering so no hassles of management etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I am a teacher or PE, SPHE and religion.

I earn €45,000 per anum.

I have 17 weeks of annual leave per year.

I work about 19 hours per week.

For PE, I just organise a game of football and leave them to it, for SPHE and Religion, I just sit on my phone and let them do homework or study.

I do be exhausted at the end of the week..

Why you lie Jeremy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Biopharma manufacturing with 15+ years experience and I'll earn 95k+ this year. On top of that there is the usual benefits of health insurance, pension, life insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

I was thinking about moving into contracting, I've had a few recruiters get in touch and try to evangelicise it to me, and it seems like I'd be getting silly money for the same work I'm doing now, with the only drawbacks really being no pension/vhi etc.., which the daily rate more than makes up for.

Getting 'too good to be true' vibes, but wondering if anyone who has recently moved from a permeant role to contracting could shed some light. Roles offered would be senior/lead data analyst or data scientist, if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

I work on the assembly line in a toy factory.
    At the moment I work the line with one other guy making plastic Draculas.
    The pay and conditions aren't wonderful but I know that I have to make every second Count.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was thinking about moving into contracting, I've had a few recruiters get in touch and try to evangelicise it to me, and it seems like I'd be getting silly money for the same work I'm doing now, with the only drawbacks really being no pension/vhi etc.., which the daily rate more than makes up for.

Getting 'too good to be true' vibes, but wondering if anyone who has recently moved from a permeant role to contracting could shed some light. Roles offered would be senior/lead data analyst or data scientist, if that makes a difference.

contracting has always had that "too good to be true" vibe but it is good. I know software engineers pulling in €7-900 a day with a bit of experience (5-10 years). It's not for me though, no security, no benefits, no annual leave pay, can be dropped at a moments notice, extra costs like accountant. So yeah the extra money you earn is eaten up with these costs and unless you're very careful (and build a nest) you can be out of work for a bit with zero money coming in (COVID-19 was a rough time for the contractors I know).

I'm someone who absolutely hates the ideas of doing interviews so I tend to stick around at least 3-5 years in a job so the thoughts of finding a new contract every 6 or 12 months fills me with dread. Leaving money on the table to not feel that is worth it to me, but others will differ.

To add another data point to the thread, Principal Software Engineer, salary in line with what's been mentioned.

Puddle drying, garlic tickling, donkey counselling, hand knitting windsocks... I've had all the jobs, make no mistake, but no matter how spectacular the renumeration has been, I have to say that all of them had a tedious, menial element that made me question what I was doing with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

youtuber

averaging €13k a month past 7 months

Whats your channel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Waiting for the Onlyfans to start posting....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I work on the assembly line in a toy factory.
    At the moment I work the line with one other guy making plastic Draculas.
    The pay and conditions aren't wonderful but I know that I have to make every second Count.
    Dracula.....that sucks....I find him a bit draining....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Construction
    Different roles depending on the project
    90k inc car allowance, plus profit share, few bits and bobs like fuel card, toll tag etc.

Honestly I'd make more on the building/construction side but it's not worth it to me.
    I get no calls after 5 and I've only worked 2 Saturdays in the last 12 months.

Love the variety of my role. We provide several services and I'm in the middle of most of them.
    Also I'm on a building site 4 or 5 days a week and having done the office thing a few times there's no comparison.
    I've flexibility, open air and a sense of purpose/achievement that i never got in an office despite leading successful projects.

Roles.....
    Construction management
    Quality Lead
    Constructability lead / design Review
    We also consult to some larger entities on the construction phase

Do a bit internally on our processes and resourcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

ebayissues wrote: »
    I was speaking to a friend yesterday who's on 75K working in risk in finance. He wants to work in a tech company has their package for a junior to senior are over 100k. His gf who works for the tech guys, is on 100+, excluding stock options

Relatives if mine, oone in software for a hedge fund is on 180k with less than 45hrs a week. Another in Finance on 80k, and youngest sibling 40k in a data analystggig but she's so clud intthats sshe'll gget tto the topffast .

I used to think that 80/100k was good, yea goodbbut could be better.

All comes at a sacrifice,friends,family stress. Enjoyllife bbe happy, iit's mmore than money canbbuy .

Yes there are people earning crazy money. Keep onhhaving eeyes cclosed aand ears shut and you won'tgget aanywhere .

Checktthe CCSO, yyou ccan gget abbreakdown of average wages by occupation

My eyes need a 5 minute rest after reading this, spellcheck next time no?

Work in compliance (not in financial services or pharma), 42k for a 3 day week in the midlands. Work/life balance is really important to me so happy to take a hit on finances for less stress and more free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Brendog wrote: »
    Whats your channel?

now now

i don't have friends or family as subscribers , all organic through yt algorithym so i'll keep it that way cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I hate this thread

Just don't know what to believe to be honest...

now now

i don't have friends or family as subscribers , all organic through yt algorithym so i'll keep it that way cheers

But, we're not friends... and unlikely to be family. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

Construction
    Different roles depending on the project
    90k inc car allowance, plus profit share, few bits and bobs like fuel card, toll tag etc.

Honestly I'd make more on the building/construction side but it's not worth it to me.
    I get no calls after 5 and I've only worked 2 Saturdays in the last 12 months.

Love the variety of my role. We provide several services and I'm in the middle of most of them.
    Also I'm on a building site 4 or 5 days a week and having done the office thing a few times there's no comparison.
    I've flexibility, open air and a sense of purpose/achievement that i never got in an office despite leading successful projects.

Roles.....
    Construction management
    Quality Lead
    Constructability lead / design Review
    We also consult to some larger entities on the construction phase

Do a bit internally on our processes and resourcing.
    Do you mind telling me what is your job and what did you do / qualify as to get there. My son would be very interested in a non office job like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

Construction- €70k plus vehicle and fuel provided. BIK is a pain though!

Go fully electric. Zero BIK and your employer will save on the Employer PRSI which is a saving of 11.05%. Win win

Advertisement