Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro D'Italia Stage 18: Rovereto to Stradella (231km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like there's a group behind nico

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Roche gonna be caught by those behind

3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

3rd maybe?

Hah Roche sniped by his teammate on the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bettiol takes it... think Nico was 3rd in the end?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The peleton don't seem in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

Chapeau to Nico, not too bad for an old man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Pity. Would've loved him to get a stage win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Paddigol wrote: »
    Pity. Would've loved him to get a stage win.

Great ride but no denying the best man on the day won

• Advertisement

55.3kph avg over 231km...bloody hell?

EDIT: that was on Eurosport for Bettiol after the race, obviously must be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Great ride from Nico

I dont think anyone in the peloton could have beaten Bettiol on that stage the way he is riding ,,a RVV winner

But Nico never gave up and gave it everything ...all heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Great ride from Nico

I dont think anyone in the peloton could have beaten Bettiol on that stage the way he is riding ,,a RVV winner

But Nico never gave up and gave it everything ...all heart

Yeah, it's great to be able to call himself and Dan one of our own - proper racers. Always love when they give it a rattle cos you know it'll be a proper roll of the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

any confirmation on 3rd yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

De Bhál wrote: »

Yeah. Official site has that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

De Bhál wrote: »

Nico was clearly 3rd I thought, confirmed in official results regardless.

https://www.giroditalia.it/en/classifiche/di-tappa/18/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

CyclingNews are giving him 3rd with Arndt 4th, would have been a frosty bus ride to the hotel if he pipped him at the line :D

MPFGLB wrote: »

I can't even average 25km/h on a short Saturday morning spin

Sagan fined 1000 swiss francs and docked UCI points for 'intimidation'

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-fined-for-intimidation-in-giro-ditalia-stage-18/

Weird, have never seen anything like that before

• Advertisement

Hatch said it to Kelly during commentary , something along the lines of would it be intimidating for someone like Sagan coming up and telling you to knock it off if you were trying to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hatch said it to Kelly during commentary , something along the lines of would it be intimidating for someone like Sagan coming up and telling you to knock it off if you were trying to get away.

Cancellara used to do the same thing. Remember him making everyone else slow down after some of his team mates crashed at the TDF a few years ago. Also some great stories of Hinaut doing the same thing - riding at the front of the bunch and daring others to come past him and breakaway - The Patron.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I didn't get to see any of the stage live today... probably for the best because I'm not sure my heart would have survived it after watching Dan win and then Nico coming so close today.

Nico has now finished on the podium in a stage in all three Grand Tours. In fact he actually has quite a lot of podium finishes in GTs. Unlucky not to have more victories.

554278.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting tour diary from Nico today.
    His colleague from DSM Nikias Arndt who came 4th was a bit critical of the tactics - Nico should have dropped back to the chase group if he hadn't the legs to catch Bettiol. Maybe working together they would have?

Arndt felt he couldn't chase in the group with Nico further up the road.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Am I the only one who finds it annoying that Eurosport doesn't show current cyclist/peloton speed?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Interesting tour diary from Nico today.
    His colleague from DSM Nikias Arndt who came 4th was a bit critical of the tactics - Nico should have dropped back to the chase group if he hadn't the legs to catch Bettiol. Maybe working together they would have?

Arndt felt he couldn't chase in the group with Nico further up the road.

Well while that might have been a possibility Nico had followed Bettiol as he was the strongest which is what you do. Also Nico didnt know initially if he could stay or not with Bettiol .

When Nico realised that he could not stay with Bettiol then he was already committed and there was no point in going back because the race was upfront and needed to keep chasing in case...

Also there was no guarantee if he dropped back they would catch Bettiol who was very strong on the climbs. Ardnt was not strong enough on the climbs. And anyway Nico was in the red by then

Finally if they caught Bettiol there is no guarantee that Arndt would have won as Consoni came second and why was Arndt not second. The group that Arndt was in could not catch Bettiol which says alot for his power/form

retalivity wrote: »
    Sagan fined 1000 swiss francs and docked UCI points for 'intimidation'

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-fined-for-intimidation-in-giro-ditalia-stage-18/

Weird, have never seen anything like that before

Think I see the intimidation bit now..."Get back in the Peloton"

E2p8Ni3XwAkPZDB?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/status/1399067214658125830

Advertisement