Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Cork city

Options
  • 27-05-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I need to relocate to Cork in a few months time to join an academic research programme at UCC. Can anyone recommend any good areas to look for accommodation for a couple? Apparently anywhere on bus route 220 is good.

My understanding is the closer to UCC the higher the rent, so I'd prefer to stay a bit further where rent is lower, but still within easy commuting distance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

Hi,

I need to relocate to Cork in a few months time to join an academic research programme at UCC. Can anyone recommend any good areas to look for accommodation for a couple? Apparently anywhere on bus route 220 is good.

My understanding is the closer to UCC the higher the rent, so I'd prefer to stay a bit further where rent is lower, but still within easy commuting distance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-bridgeview-court-hanover-street-co-cork/3245379

It is going to be expensive to rent, whatever way you turn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Well you could not have picked a better Bus Route, that will certainly give you plenty of options.
    It goes from Crosshaven to Ovens and serves most of suburbia along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

There's also the 208 route that goes from Mayfield right through the city centre past UCC and finishes in Bishopstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

There are a lot of nice student accommodation blocks built / being built (Crows Nest, Lee Point, Scholarlee Mardyke etc.) though possibly not suitable for couples.

The benefit of the 220 route is it's a loong route and it's 24 hours, so one journey means you can select anywhere from Carrigaline to Ballincollig.

I'd guess most student accommodation is vacated during the summer, so perhaps if you could start renting towards the end of the summer and keep it then for the academic year, you could beat the rush by getting in early? Not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You'd probably find that city centre accommodation is no dearer, possibly cheaper, than the suburbs.
    Walk, bus or cycle in no time.

You'd probably find that city centre accommodation is no dearer, possibly cheaper, than the suburbs.
    Walk, bus or cycle in no time.

Exactly you could live in Midleton and the savings you would make would be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MonkeyBrainz

Thank you for the feedback!

Advertisement