Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I can't believe it Hector was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's not, it's incredibly naïve to think top level athletes earning millions wouldn't take advantage of the benefits juicing's gives, look at MMA, boxing, cycling for example, you hear all the time people getting caught, it's rampant in every sport.

I never said elites don’t juice..

You’re matter fact claim that they all do is ignorant..

So what time is the Whothehellareya (33) vs Fookedifiknowya (32) match on at tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I never have and never will be able to take to Novak.

He's always come across as smug, insecure and insincere. and that's well before all of the anti-vax stuff. I just don't buy into his nice guy routine at all.

But, in my opinion, he is the best tennis player there has ever been.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Tsitsipas is really going to need his A game on Sunday.

For his sake, in his first GS Final, I hope he makes a match of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

And in the end it fizzles out. A few hype games in the 3rd and that was it.

And so the Nadal fans go to sit with the 2019 Fed fans. At least Rog took it to match points.....
    glasso wrote: »
    Some people have even turned it off and are rewatching Pistol Pete Wimby matches instead.

And whoever does would learn a lot more.

So it looks like the slav train may be unstoppable again this year. Hard to see him not winning in London.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

SlickRic wrote: »
    I never have and never will be able to take to Novak.

He's always come across as smug, insecure and insincere. and that's well before all of the anti-vax stuff. I just don't buy into his nice guy routine at all.

But, in my opinion, he is the best tennis player there has ever been.

Yep, the desperation to be liked is so off-putting. Had he just accepted from the off that he'd never be as popular as Federer and Nadal and was just himself I think he'd probably be more popular than he is. And that was before his rogue superspreader event in Serbia..

Hoping for a Tsitsipas win on Sunday! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Extraordinary match, 2 extraordinary players, wasn't expecting a conversation about doping on here after that magnificent spectacle. There's a time and a place for that, not tonight, let people enjoy the match for what it was a magnificent match between 2 of the greatest players ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

walshb wrote: »
    I never said elites don’t juice..

You’re matter fact claim that they all do is ignorant..

I think it's safer to assume any top level, elite athlete is on them tbh, Id say the same in any sport Tennis being no different, wasn't Sharapova caught a while back?

As I said there isn't a sport it's not rampant in and I find it incredibly hard to accept the top highest paid guys wouldn't take advantage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Why do so many of the players like him then? Murray, Wawrinka, Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas etc. Have heard numerous top players he the most approachable of the big 3 players off court. Even watch Medvedev runner up speech in Australia.

I would take the word of other players, Murray and Wawrinka say he is a top bloke off court
    Yep, the desperation to be liked is so off-putting. Had he just accepted from the off that he'd never be as popular as Federer and Nadal and was just himself I think he'd probably be more popular than he is. And that was before his rogue superspreader event in Serbia..

Hoping for a Tsitsipas win on Sunday! :pac:

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    And in the end it fizzles out. A few hype games in the 3rd and that was it.

And so the Nadal fans go to sit with the 2019 Fed fans. At least Rog took it to match points.....

So it looks like the slav train may be unstoppable again this year. Hard to see him not winning in London.

Lol, keep telling yourself that.

in the final set a break and two games down was turned around completely in dramatic fashion

trying to continue deny that that was a great match is a bit of a joke at this stage.

first time Nadal has ever lost at RG when he got to the semi, a man with a 98.5% record on clay over 5

even ND said that he never played better at RG than tonight.

especially given the Nadal start, it was a hugely impressive performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Hmmm ... Djokovic has won all 3 matches against Tsitsipas on clay: Madrid 2019, French Open semi last year, and Rome QF four weeks ago. The French Open match went to 5 sets before Tsitsipas ran out of gas. In Rome, Djokovic won 4-6 7-5 7-5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yep, getting harder to argue against that now. He will inevitibly get #19 on Sunday, then will win Wimbledon to get to #20. Combined with his weeks at #1, H2H records, and M1000 records, there's not much left to be said.

And yet more wild predictions, stated with absolute certainty!

Is there no room in yer heads for the odd upset - like tonight, for instance??

This is sport, after all.....

If I had nothing better to do tomorrow I'd go back through this thread (even only since I joined it) and pick out all the bald, incontrovertible, absolute, but wildly incorrect statements and predictions that were made.

But thankfully there's a boat with my name on it going out racing, so I do have something far better to do! :D

I would think all the players are drug tested regularly. To be honest regardless the top 3 would win anyway because they are quite simply better tennis players! In a sport like cycling or long distance running it’s pure stamina, in tennis a drug won’t make you a better tennis player. Sure you could build stamina but these guys are just unbelievably good tennis players. You could pump every other player up, they still won’t be as good
    I think it's safer to assume any top level, elite athlete is on them tbh, Id say the same in any sport Tennis being no different, wasn't Sharapova caught a while back?

As I said there isn't a sport it's not rampant in and I find it incredibly hard to accept the top highest paid guys wouldn't take advantage of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Why do so many of the players like him then? Murray, Wawrinka, Thiem, Zverev, Medvedev, Tsitsipas etc. Have heard numerous top players he the most approachable of the big 3 players off court. Even watch Medvedev runner up speech in Australia.

I would take the word of other players, Murray and Wawrinka say he is a top bloke off court

I meant fans in general, not fellow players. Not denying he's popular, just nowhere near the level he so desperately craves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well done Djokovic,superb display.

Gutted for Rafa.

Djokovic has been the most outspoken of all the top players over the years - in Australia again this year for example with the quarantine debacle

the vax thing I certainly don't agree with and the love heart gesture rubbish is hopefully gone forever but he has put himself more on the line in an honest way than a multitude of other saccharine-tongued fakes ever have and fought for rights for all tennis players more than the rest too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes, he seems very well liked on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I would think all the players are drug tested regularly. To be honest regardless the top 3 would win anyway because they are quite simply better tennis players! In a sport like cycling or long distance running it’s pure stamina, in tennis a drug won’t make you a better tennis player. Sure you could build stamina but these guys are just unbelievably good tennis players. You could pump every other player up, they still won’t be as good

You should look into this more, doping and drug tests are very easily beaten...no doubt they're still the best top guys I agree and there skill is undeniable, but steroids, PED's and other banned substances give other benefits like recovery benefits, endurance, longevity.

I agree if you pumped the rest up they still wouldn't be as good.

Also for the record I don't think someone is necessarily a cheater for using these kinds of substances, the use of them is so wide spread that the chance of someone at the elite level of a sport, especially a physical sport, not using them is slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And yet more wild predictions, stated with absolute certainty!

Is there no room in yer heads for the odd upset - like tonight, for instance??

This is sport, after all.....

If I had nothing better to do tomorrow I'd go back through this thread (even only since I joined it) and pick out all the bald, incontrovertible, absolute, but wildly incorrect statements and predictions that were made.

But thankfully there's a boat with my name on it going out racing, so I do have something far better to do! :D
    Whoah, calm down! :D It's just an opinion, but a somewhat informed one I'd like to think. And FWIW if you do go back through this thread, you will see I was one of the only ones who predicted a Djokovic win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Extraordinary match, 2 extraordinary players, wasn't expecting a conversation about doping on here after that magnificent spectacle. There's a time and a place for that, not tonight, let people enjoy the match for what it was a magnificent match between 2 of the greatest players ever.

If Justin Gatlin wins a gold medal in Tokyo is that the time to talk about doping or should it be left to another time?

There's NEVER a good time to talk about doping, but it's a discussion that needs to be had, and one that doesn't happen even remotely enough in tennis.

Remember, a question is not an accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yep, getting harder to argue against that now. He will inevitibly get #19 on Sunday, then will win Wimbledon to get to #20. Combined with his weeks at #1, H2H records, and M1000 records, there's not much left to be said.

Jimmy Connors 109
    mzungu wrote: »
    Tsitsipas is really going to need his A game on Sunday.

For his sake, in his first GS Final, I hope he makes a match of it.

I hope he doesn't :)

Djokovic is the strong favourite for the final now, but, Tsitsipas is not without a chance, I'd give him a slightly better chance against Djokovic than if Nadal got through. He needs to play out of his skin and hope that Novak is slightly flat after tonight, cue a straight sets win for Novak!

You have no understanding of doping if you believe what you have just posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Thankfully the men's game still gives us magical matches from well known star players of the sport. The women's game is and has been a shambles for some time exemplified by tomorrow's final of who? v your one.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Jimmy Connors 109

I hope he doesn't :)

I don’t care if Jimmy has 1009 titles…the ugliest tennis ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Whoah, calm down! :D It's just an opinion, but a somewhat informed one I'd like to think. And FWIW if you do go back through this thread, you will see I was one of the only ones who predicted a Djokovic win.

That was absolutely not directed at you (or anyone else for that matter)!!

Yours was just the post that finally prompted me to unload that festering frustration that has been building up over the last few days :D

Those utterly certain, unequivocal predictions, often before a match has even started or in the first couple of games, just drive me nuts!

Discuss the game and players by all means, but writing someone off before they've even got going (never mind that they might have a record of staging unbelievable comebacks from the jaws of defeat) is just rude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm disappointed Rafa lost. He's my favourite player.

However, they are ALL juicing. Including my favourite player. To think otherwise is incredibly naive.
    Your local GAA player is juicing FFS!

Djokovic after being 5-0 down in first set Vs Nadal.

sjz7xe5aep471.jpg

Chivito550 wrote: »

Why?

It’s tennis. Far more skill based than other sports that sees doping to increase endurance..

Sure, can give players extra energy/fitness…

We know this…

But are you real saying Federer, for example, probably was juicing? And if so, why?

What are the players doing that is so extraordinary?

How are you measuring it?

• Advertisement

If Justin Gatlin wins a gold medal in Tokyo is that the time to talk about doping or should it be left to another time?

There's NEVER a good time to talk about doping, but it's a discussion that needs to be had, and one that doesn't happen even remotely enough in tennis.

I've long had my suspicions about the Big 3, but Djokovic to me seems most likely. The stamina, recovery, lack of injuries, there is just something incredulous about it. Look, maybe he has pushed the boundaries, and gotten every last ounce out of himself but there is no denying it is questionable.

For instance, Djokovic is only a year younger than Nadal, yet he looked like (and played like) he could go for another 4 hours. Nadal looked (and played like) his age. And before anyone says it, Djokovics playstyle is every bit as gruelling as Nadals.

Justin Gatlin is a proven drugs cheat, Djokovic, Nadal or Federer haven't as yet been proven to dope, so throwing out these accusations every time they play is only trying to blacken their name and downgrade their achievements. Also 10 mins after an extraordinary match isn't the time to be talking about, let people enjoy the wonderful tennis that was played tonight, you can talk about doping in a few days time when the tournament is over and everyone has had time to take it all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thankfully the men's game still gives us magical matches from well known star players of the sport. The women's game is a has been a shambles for some time exemplified by tomorrow's final of who? v your one.

Some of the games in the match tonight could be longer than a set in tomorrows match. :D

I didnt mean to start a discussion on doping by mentioning it I really didnt.
    Maybe there isnt as much running in the game as it looks, and players can get their wind back by bouncing the ball so much and calling for the towel between points.
    Maybe its just Red Bull Novak has.

Do explain how doping would give you better technique on serve, forehand, backhand, volley, return etc???

Of course it would give you more stamina etc but pick up a tennis racket and try and get the technique those top 3 players have. Good luck with that. I stand over that if every player did dope or didn’t, those top 3 would win regardless because they are simply much better tennis players

Justin Gatlin is a proven drugs cheat, Djokovic, Nadal or Federer haven't as yet been proven to dope, so throwing out these accusations every time they play is only trying to blacken their name and downgrade their achievements. Also 10 mins after an extraordinary match isn't the time to be talking about, let people enjoy the wonderful tennis that was played tonight, you can talk about doping in a few days time when the tournament is over and everyone has had time to take it all in.

Chivito won’t include Roger in his suspicions.

Do explain how doping would give you better technique on serve, forehand, backhand, volley, return etc???

Of course it would give you more stamina etc but pick up a tennis racket and try and get the technique those top 3 players have. Good luck with that. I stand over that if every player did dope or didn’t, those top 3 would win regardless because they are simply much better tennis players
    Surely the answer to that is obvious? Doping allows you to recover faster, train harder for longer, allowing you to perfect your technique over many hours without suffering injuries.

But I do agree that the Big3 would rule regardless of doping or not.

To an extent but so much of it with these guys is ridiculous talent
    Surely the answer to that is obvious? Doping allows you to recover faster, train harder for longer, allowing you to perfect your technique over many hours without suffering injuries.

But I do agree that the Big3 would rule regardless of doping or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I've long had my suspicions about the Big 3, but Djokovic to me seems most likely. The stamina, recovery, lack of injuries, there is just something incredulous about it. Look, maybe he has pushed the boundaries, and gotten every last ounce out of himself but there is no denying it is questionable.

For instance, Djokovic is only a year younger than Nadal, yet he looked like (and played like) he could go for another 4 hours. Nadal looked (and played like) his age. And before anyone says it, Djokovics playstyle is every bit as gruelling as Nadals.

Quite a few years ago Nadal did much damage as he tried to match Federer. Just my opinion.

glasso wrote: »
    trying to continue deny that that was a great match set is a bit of a joke at this stage.

Fixed that for you ;)
    Look, maybe he has pushed the boundaries, and gotten every last ounce out of himself but there is no denying it is questionable.

He may just be a physical freak. He's like stretch armstrong.

It'll be interesting to see what'll happen Sunday. Nobody has ever won RG after beating Nadal. Novak lost to Stan the last time he tried.....

Fixed that for you ;)

He may just be a physical freak. He's like stretch armstrong.
    It'll be interesting to see what'll happen Sunday.
    Ya I wouldn't rule Tsitispas out at all. I was kinda thinking all year that it would be ironic if the next gen finally broke through (USO last year doesn't count!) at RG - which has been a constant for so many years now.
    Nobody has ever won RG after beating Nadal. Novak lost to Stan the last time he tried.....
    Small sample size in fairness! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

There is no doubt tennis has a massive drug problem. I can assure you drug taking will make you a better tennis player. You can training longer and harder and recover from injuries much quicker.
    To win best of 5 set matches for two weeks on clay requires incredible stamina. I would say it’s impossible to win RG without doping (since everyone else is doing it).
    Regarding drug testing. There are obviously ways around that. Doctor Eufemiano Fuentes who’s cyclists were caught was going to name everyone from other sports but was silenced as the euro and World Cup winning Spanish football team would have been outed.

Small sample size in fairness! :D

Could get bigger........

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Lip Out

Come on here after watching one of the best matches I've seen in a very long time and the absolute tripe that is being posted. "Poor enough tennis" and mostly posts about doping. Christ on a bike :rolleyes:

Why?

It’s tennis. Far more skill based than other sports that sees doping to increase endurance..

Sure, can give players extra energy/fitness…

We know this…

But are you real saying Federer, for example, probably was juicing? And if so, why?

What are the players doing that is so extraordinary?

How are you measuring it?

I'm not making any accusations against any players. I'm calling out the nonsense that doping isn't that important in tennis. Without the fitness and stamina, your skill isn't worth jack sh1t deep in the 4th set, 3 or 4 hours in.

Sounds awfully like the whole "now is not the time to discus gun laws" in the aftermath of another mass shooting in USA. There is NEVER a good time to talk about doping, but the best time is when the sport is in the public eye. Why bother talk about it in 4 days when nobody is watching tennis bar the anoraks?

Many many athletes who have never tested positive have to deal with doping questions. Sifan Hassan for one right now. Why should tennis players be different? A question is not an accusation.

Of course they are the best, all things being equal.

But without stamina, your skill isn't worth sh1t. What use is your amazing sliced backhand when you can barely walk with exhaustion deep in a 5th set. Doping powers the engine that let's the natural skills thrive.

I'm not accusing any specific players by the way.

You could dope up a guy ranked 100 and he could jump into the top 30 within a year. You could dope a guy ranked 10 and he could be a grand slam contender, and challenge the big 3 more. Doping can close the gap significantly.

Chivito won’t include Roger in his suspicions.

I'm not mentioning any players. I'm simply arguing nonsense that doping isn't a big deal in tennis, a sport where players are involved in exhausting 30 shot rallies in 4 hour matches.

Not my opinion, but I lived with a Spanish guy who played tennis at a high level as a junior in Spain, and coaches too. He's a big Nadal fan. I brought up the topic of doping, and he flippantly said to me that all the top guys are doping - Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and many more. He said it so matter of factly, and it didn't bother him in the slightest.

Not my opinion, just to make it clear.

Lip Out wrote: »
    Come on here after watching one of the best matches I've seen in a very long time and the absolute tripe that is being posted. "Poor enough tennis" and mostly posts about doping. Christ on a bike :rolleyes:

True, the Federer fans are really really really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this stage.

Sad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

So anti-vaxx, herbo fruit loop Djokovic is actually pumping himself full of EPO and Clenbuterol every time he closes his front door?
    Okaaaay.

Advertisement