Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tsitsipas can still easily win this, he did it against Zverev the other day and was 2-0 up on him...

Big difference doing that against a flaky Zverev and probably the mentally toughest player ever

That shadow would be annoying at this level of tennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

wow .... could it be possible ???

Yes!

Come on ND.

Yet again, such a hard-won game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

ND could win the 4 in one year
    Easily the GOAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

That's that, his recovery capabilities are like nothing I've ever seen.

I want him to go a double break up so I can relax...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Missed the first two sets here, but presume Tsitsipas was playing a bit better than he is now?

The difference between the greats and the good players is that they never know when they're beaten, they make you earn every point. As the pressure builds they get better while the rest begin to retreat, that's what we're seeing here, probably the greatest player ever refusing to accept defeat even when not playing well, while the younger inexperienced player starting to wilt as the pressure comes on.

Nervy ... can see Tsits break back now ....

• Advertisement

Nervy ... can see Tsits break back now ....

For a diehard fan of Djokovic you sure don't know much about how calm and ruthless he is under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

If djkovic had of chosen cycling as his sport. He would have won a half dozen tour de Frances. His stamina and recovery powers are just levels above any other tennis player in history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Rubbish by Tsipitas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I reckon had Nadal gotten to the final he would have won in three basic sets!

superb service game by the man.

Rubbish by Tsipitas

This will be a damaging defeat for him, would have to question if he has the mentality to win a slam.

What a point!

Thats better from Tsipitas

Ouuch those missed chances to go a double breap up could cost him ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I wonder if he'll just quit the sport like Coria did.

• Advertisement

1 more game.

1 more game.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    This will be a damaging defeat for him, would have to question if he has the mentality to win a slam.

I think he does, he is the best of the new era.

He hasn't completely wilted, future should be very bright for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Such a bottle job, tennis is boring

There is absolutely no question that he's the best tennis competitor that has ever been seen at this point.

Haters will still hate but he don't care.

To be able to dig himself out of that hole when Tsitsipas was well on top and two sets up was nothing short of amazing.

Don't know how he did it. Don't think that anyone else could come back like that.

With the crowd against him all the way.

That fourth game in the third set where Tsitsipas smacked away 4 winnners to save 4 break points but Djokovic was able to fashion a fifth and take it was just beyond superlatives.

He built from there.

Credit to Tsitsipas. Tough to take but he will win slams and this experience will stand to him in the future.

No doubt about it.

He pushed him all the way. All the way.

Tension up until the very last point. Djokovic had to go out and win it all the way to the very end.

He turned up for sure.

Djokovic ->

Double career slam now added to his achievements.

Far from flakey flake flakeland was he reared.
    “Ten Deutsche marks, I remember 10 Deutsche marks,” said Djokovic, the 16-time Grand Slam singles title winner who went into the Australian Open this week as the reigning champion.

As he spoke, he slammed his hand on a conference room table, just as his father, Srdjan, had once slammed a 10-mark bill on the kitchen table of their cramped rented apartment in Belgrade.

This was during the violent breakup of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. Djokovic does not remember precisely when, but he remembers his father’s words.

“Ten Deutsche marks was, and my father said, ‘This is all we have,’” Djokovic said. “And he said that more than ever we have to stick together and go through this together and figure out the way. That was a very powerful and very impactful moment in my growth, my life, all of our lives.”

Congrats to Novak, refused to accept defeat when not playing well, really showed why he's such a great player.

The possum won, who'd have thought it.

Cant believe people still fall for it every time.

Wow ... double career slam.

the GOAT.

Feel bad for Tsitsipas but he'll be back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Luckily for him he won't be up against much when it comes to mental toughness. Zverev and Thiem are as flaky as can be. Medvedev has never really been tested, but he didn't set the world alight in his one grand slam final.

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    Luckily for him he won't be up against much when it comes to mental toughness. Zverev and Thiem are as flaky as can be. Medvedev has never really been tested, but he didn't set the world alight in his one grand slam final.

That's true, but, by the time Djokovic is gone, there might be a younger guy who isn't as flaky as these guys

glasso wrote: »
    There is absolutely no question that he's the best tennis competitor that has ever been seen at this point.

Yes, he is never beaten.

How many titles is that now he has won that really he had no right to win.
    Has come from behind in a good few of his grand Slam wins.
    “Ten Deutsche marks, I remember 10 Deutsche marks,” said Djokovic, the 16-time Grand Slam singles title winner who went into the Australian Open this week as the reigning champion.

As he spoke, he slammed his hand on a conference room table, just as his father, Srdjan, had once slammed a 10-mark bill on the kitchen table of their cramped rented apartment in Belgrade.

This was during the violent breakup of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. Djokovic does not remember precisely when, but he remembers his father’s words.

“Ten Deutsche marks was, and my father said, ‘This is all we have,’” Djokovic said. “And he said that more than ever we have to stick together and go through this together and figure out the way. That was a very powerful and very impactful moment in my growth, my life, all of our lives.”

Thats an interesting story.

An insatiable hunger he has, has to be admired, all greats in every sport have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

Tsitsipas didn't have a single break point in the last 3 sets. That's probably the most telling statistic.

Djokovic is the first man in the Open era to win each slam at least twice. And he's also only the third man to win at least two slams on each of grass, clay and hard, after Wilander* and Nadal.

*Yes, Wilander :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Thats an interesting story.

The twitter generation is always going to struggle against that kind of thing.
    klr87 wrote: »
    *Yes, Wilander :p

Hey I can't stand that idiot either but credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Wonder if Djoker can do the calender slam this year

eric hoone wrote: »

no point even considering that possibility imo unless he manages to win at SW19

even then the US Open is one of the most unpredictable slams

would like to see him do it to put to bed any argument whatsoever about G.O.A.T credentials

if the Flushing meadows Karen hadn't done a triple movement death drop he'd be holding all 4 slams right now

• Advertisement

Who’s the quite attractive woman speaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Didn't think Novak had it in him to comeback. No idea why I doubted him really. Roll on Wimbledon now! An excellent french open on the men's side this year.

He was the last player to win the first two slams of the year, in 2016. at which point he held all four titles. Between that and wining his first French Open, his level understandably dropped at Wimbledon. This time, I suspect his focus will be better, especially with a chance to go level with Roger and Rafa. But he will have very little time to prepare, because of the shortened grass season this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭hamburgham

How many languages can he speak?
    Especially delighted after all the abuse he got over his attitude to COVID.

walshb wrote: »
    Who’s the quite attractive woman speaking?
    Well, the only woman I can recall speaking without a mask was Marion Bartoli, so ...

• Advertisement

Pretty high-quality match overall from the stats

https://www.flashscore.com/match/CKcObIVB/#match-summary/match-statistics/0

klr87 wrote: »
    Well, the only woman I can recall speaking without a mask was Marion Bartoli, so ...

The other one, with the mask..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

When do the Nadal and Federer fan boys admit ND is the goat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

What a phenomenal competitor Djokovic is, just never knows when he is beaten. His mental strength at key moments is remarkable. First player in open era to win all slams twice, amazing achievement

walshb wrote: »
    The other one, with the mask..
    Ah, then I don't know ... or to be more exact, I can't remember. Most likely one of the bigwigs in the FFT (French Tennis Federation).

glasso wrote: »
    no point even considering that possibility imo unless he manages to win at SW19

even then the US Open is one of the most unpredictable slams

would like to see him do it to put to bed any argument whatsoever about G.O.A.T credentials

if the Flushing meadows Karen hadn't done a triple movement death drop he'd be holding all 4 slams right now

Yeah f*cking hell, the ball barely skimmed past her neck and she went down like the Boston Strangler just worked on her for an hour ... wonder how much they had to pay her on the QT so she didn't take it to court and try and sue the arse off him ....

When do the Nadal and Federer fan boys admit ND is the goat?

When he gets to 21 slams?

Yeah f*cking hell, the ball barely skimmed past her neck and she went down like the Boston Strangler just worked on her for an hour ... wonder how much they had to pay her on the QT so she didn't take it to court and try and sue the arse off him ....

Still the only slam a next gen player has won and all were afraid to win it once Djokovic was disqualified, such a poor generation of players not fit to lace the boots of the generation before them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's ridiculous, but Djokovic won it with that break in the third.

It's all he needed to get in Tsitsipas' head. And that was it. All downhill.

The amount of top 3 dominance that is down to the head is underplayed.

Still the only slam a next gen player has won and all were afraid to win it once Djokovic was disqualified, such a poor generation of players not fit to lace the boots of the generation before them

Thiem and Zverev were poor and don't really have it mentally.

Tsitsipas even in defeat showed grit today, up to end of the final game.

Sinner I expect should be good also if he continues to develop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement